Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#13,201 ·
Got the yard mowed yesterday and got a little work done on my project. Got the sterring shaft in and set. Worked on the roll cage. put shoulder harness brackets on it and got the rear section of it ready for paint. Got the windshield frame mounted and started working on the front section of the rollcage and got the windshield support bracket welded to it to help hold the windshield frame in place and strengthen it up.

Attachments

#13,202 ·
Could not help my self ,I found this 63 Vw in a barn today,and it followed me home,

A TRUE Barn fing been there almost 3 years looks like he drove it on his honnymoon ,she would not ride in it with No Air ,,,lol:thumbup:
Cool David! Damn I love those Bugs.

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#13,205 ·
My mom had a 64 bug when I was a kid, seemed like that thing ran for ever. Them were the good ole days. I like the old vw bugs. They made cars back then and not the tin cans of today.
I also have a 58 VW or should say my wife has one her uncle bought it New and we inherited it just before he past away ,,still runs good but looks like a rat rod ,and she don't want it painted so I will just clear it so it will not rust any more it still has the factory fender skirts and tow bar that fastens to the front axle with 2 pins,:D

Attachments

#13,206 ·
Damn they are awesome little cars.

Today I got something done out there, I cleared Nick's work from the air brush class. I know, I know, I should have had him do it but figured I am rusty enough not painting everyday I didn't want him to make some screwy mistake and ruin it.

It's all protected now, he wants me to put it out in the garage.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#13,207 ·
I also have a 58 VW or should say my wife has one her uncle bought it New and we inherited it just before he past away ,,still runs good but looks like a rat rod ,and she don't want it painted so I will just clear it so it will not rust any more it still has the factory fender skirts and tow bar that fastens to the front axle with 2 pins,:D
I bought a '59 the year I graduated. A neighbor had owned it for many years and it burned an exhaust valve. He took it all apart and then decided not to fix it. He put all the pieces in boxes in the trunk and back seat. I bought it for $50. Another neighbor worked as a mechanic and he came up with a good, used, valve. We lapped it into the seat with compound. I went to the dealer and bought a service manual and gasket kit, spread all the pieces out in the yard and put it back together. It took 2 of us to lift it into place and bolted up but it ran !! Damn thing didn't have a gas gauge, just a lever on the floor you pushed with your foot for reserve tank and then find a station. I drove it for a couple months and then traded it on a '64 Galaxie 500 hardtop. 1 of the 3 Fords I've ever owned...:pain:

#13,208 ·

Today I got something done out there, I cleared Nick's work from the air brush class. I know, I know, I should have had him do it but figured I am rusty enough not painting everyday I didn't want him to make some screwy mistake and ruin it.

Brian
Always save the first one ,:thumbup:

#13,210 ·
Pugs where you live they call them Igloos. That's where the reindeer are kept.
If you go hunting for a igloo to find a treasure be sure to watch out for Polar Bears.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
"Igloo" is just the Inuit word for "house" (depending on which dialect of Innu is spoken where you happen to be).

Traditionally they had "skin houses" (tents) in summer and "snow houses" (what we think of as "igloos") in winter.

Had to learn to make one in my winter survival course which was a requirement of my employers in case of plane crash etc. To pass the course you had to make a snow house and sleep in it. NOT easy!

Today, I pressure washed the rest of my sundeck and, as usual, the big ol' Landa beat the whee outta me. My arms feel like jello. :pain: :D

#13,211 ·
I bought a '59 the year I graduated. A neighbor had owned it for many years and it burned an exhaust valve. He took it all apart and then decided not to fix it. He put all the pieces in boxes in the trunk and back seat. I bought it for $50. Another neighbor worked as a mechanic and he came up with a good, used, valve. We lapped it into the seat with compound. I went to the dealer and bought a service manual and gasket kit, spread all the pieces out in the yard and put it back together. It took 2 of us to lift it into place and bolted up but it ran !! Damn thing didn't have a gas gauge, just a lever on the floor you pushed with your foot for reserve tank and then find a station. I drove it for a couple months and then traded it on a '64 Galaxie 500 hardtop. 1 of the 3 Fords I've ever owned...:pain:
That last sentence wasn't too hard to say was it???? Lmao.

:D:D
Later gator
Russ

#13,213 ·

Brian
Hows Nick like working at Maaco so far ,I'll bet hes tired when he gets home ...

#13,214 ·
Hows Nick like working at Maaco so far ,I'll bet hes tired when he gets home ...
Well, this was a "see if it fits" week for both him and the shop. The owner knows it's not a fit for everyone so he has the new guy work a week for cash and see if he likes it and fits before he puts him on the payroll. He told the owner Wednesday that he wouldn't be coming back this week and the guy was cool with it. However, after seeing the cash!.......he is going to call him and see if he needs the help being he didn't have any others to take the job right now.

But yeah, that money at the end of the week sparked a fire. But yeah, I learned a lot about the place chatting with my son in the evenings, he was busting his butt but still not nearly fast enough. And having to work with worn out scuff pads because you allotted a certain amount......he was beat.

Brian

#13,215 ·
That last sentence wasn't too hard to say was it???? Lmao.

:D:D
Later gator
Russ
Harder still to admit...:D

Seeing as how I had over 120 cars by the time I was 30, that 3 was a major statement to my "affection" for Henry's products...:(

I currently have 8 Bowties and 1 Bar and Shield vehicle. My wife's Acura is the only foreign car in the stable.

#13,216 · (Edited)
Spent an hour or two being snoopy/being a "sidewalk superintendent"

They had taken down a few humongous Douglas Firs at the construction next door, where ancient house was demolished.

Today a big backhoe was loading scrap and debris i(from the now-demolished old house into BIG trucks to go to (wherever), while another a couple of folks were putting what appears to be an Alaskan portable mill to use, making 4 inch thick slabs of fir. Fascinating - never seen one of those in action before.

Picture a 4 foot thick log, cut 10 feet long, laying on it's side.

Attach an aluminum rail to the top side.

Now put a 4 foot long slider on the rail. Slider has a big bandsaw blade and a chainsaw to power it. Set the depth so that you get a 4 inch thick cut

Fire up the BIG Stihl-powered band saw and slide it along the rail, yielding a 4 inch thick, 4 foot wide, 10 feet long slab of wood. Yeesh!

Got sunburned watching.

#13,217 ·

They had taken down a few humongous Douglas Firs at the construction next door, where ancient house was demolished.

Today a big backhoe was loading scrap and debris i(from the now-demolished old house into BIG trucks to go to (wherever), while another a couple of folks were putting what appears to be an Alaskan portable mill to use, making 4 inch thick slabs of fir. Fascinating - never seen one of those in action before.

Now put a 4 foot long slider on the rail. Slider has a big bandsaw blade and a chainsaw to power it. Set the depth so that you get a 4 inch thick cut

Fire up the BIG Stihl-powered band saw and slide it along the rail, yielding a 4 inch thick, 4 foot wide, 10 feet long slab of wood. Yeesh!

Got sunburned watching.
I love to watch stuff like that. I was going through Oregon on the eastern side of the Cascades one time and had to stop and watch a logging machine that grabbed a seventy foot pine , saw it off at the bottom, tip it on it's side , suck it through a de-limbing cycle and lop it off in ten foot lengths. All in under ten minutes.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#13,218 ·

Got sunburned watching.
It's cool to watch eh? I have a mate who 20 years ago cut all my timber for my upstairs extension. His portable machine was good to watch my future extension while I watched. He also milled my kitchen ceiling out of native rimu timber. It's a beautiful timber from the west coast here.
Later gator
Russ:D

#13,219 ·
Wunnerful day today. Wunnerful, wunnerfull.

Jumped off the 454 I bought a few months ago. It has been sitting for several months. Not only did it fire right up but there wasn't so much as a lifter click when it started even a hint of smoke. I believe that is a dandy motor.

I also replaced the belt tensioner on my Silverado for the second time in 6 weeks.

Thirdly, I now have my weatherstrip channel about 80% finished.

Fourthly, I dug out and rinsed off 5 '53 hubcaps I am sending to our friend Brian.

It truly was a wunnerful day today. Wunnerful, wunnerful. :)......... Ain't life just plain grand? :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup: