Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#13,281 ·
My wife is a mean spirited old woman that will not even consider letting me fill the yard with project cars. The only redeeming quality she has is she loves me and is willing to cook for me, wash my cloths, and wake up beside me every morning.

She does however, allow me to have my project in the basement, ruin her carpeting with my dirty feet and keep one parts car out of sight under the rear screened in porch.

Come to think about it. She is pretty special after all :D:D

John
Sounds like I have her younger sister, except mine is still bringing home the bacon AND frying it up in the pan.

Wait, they can't be sisters, she even has the same name...:cool:

Brian brings up a very good point about what we could be doing if not working on old cars. I don't drink, smoke, or gamble so there is no money being spent on that.

#13,282 ·
I'll post a few pics as I go if anyone is interested...it should be fun...
Post away if that's what you're working on.

I'll be posting some stuff like my house getting knocked down soon...

Fence guy came this morning and I got my permits tied on.
Waiting for the tree beech from the city now to tell me how I need to spend thousands of dollars :pain: so the roots of nearby trees don't get squished. Water meter getting pulled later this morning and hopefully hydro wires pulled off the house as well.
Demo slated for July 15th, but could be sooner. :thumbup:

#13,283 ·
Post away if that's what you're working on.

I'll be posting some stuff like my house getting knocked down soon...

Fence guy came this morning and I got my permits tied on.
Waiting for the tree beech from the city now to tell me how I need to spend thousands of dollars :pain: so the roots of nearby trees don't get squished. Water meter getting pulled later this morning and hopefully hydro wires pulled off the house as well.
Demo slated for July 15th, but could be sooner. :thumbup:
Oh, this is going to be fun to see...:cool:

#13,284 ·
I got it running and driving but it was still far from a driver. I was tired of looking at it, working on it and spending money on it so it went away....I got a really solid '66 Malibu with some of the cash...:D

Sure doesn't look like the basket case when you first brought it home anymore. Great start for the guy that bought it. You literally brought it back from the dead.......:thumbup:

Sounds like I have her younger sister, except mine is still bringing home the bacon AND frying it up in the pan.

Wait, they can't be sisters, she even has the same name...:cool:

Brian brings up a very good point about what we could be doing if not working on old cars. I don't drink, smoke, or gamble so there is no money being spent on that.
Yeah, I don't do anything you mentioned either. People will tell me, "Must be nice"(about my car). I also trade in my truck every 3-4yrs(we get great deals since my FIL used to work at a Chrysler plant).. I just tell people I'd rather spend my money on cars than sitting in a bar. Priorities man!;)

#13,285 ·
My wife let's me run amuck.
I am considerate enough to tell her,what I am going to do, and ask her opinion.
But she knows and will often tell me, your going to do it any way.
So i just have to work hard at policing myself.

She is a very good woman, and is very good to me, and my kids.
I did much better on the second try

#13,287 ·
Theres not much I understand about women ,however there is ONE thing Ive learned...once you fall in love (married or not) they start trying to change you. If you let them and doallthe things they want you'll change into a different person (the one they really wanted.then they don't want you any more and say : You not the person I married any more...The trick is they HAVE to beech about something...its in their nature...so leave little things that are ez to fix for them to beech about like leaving your socks on the floor or empty beer cans on the porch...that way they forget about the major stuff. it only takes a second to pick up those socks or pick up those cans..they'll forget about refinishing the floors etc...make being out in the garage her blessed peace and incourage you to have them or she'll be stuck with you in the house.....IT WORKS!!!
I can't make it clear enough, I don't understand women either. But I don't have do any of those things with my wife, honestly, she doesn't play those games at all. I am blessed beyond the stars with her I'll tell you that!

Brian

#13,288 ·
Took a bit of an anti-freeze shower under the 'new to us' '95 Z-28 that I picked up recently. Drove it in the rain the other day and realized that it had no heat to clear the windshield. Both lines at the heater core were still relatively cool, so I knew there was no circulation. Tried to pull the lower heater core hose off the pump and put a plug on the pump at the same time. Didn't think about clamping the hose off first unfortunately. Didn't work quite as planned. Duh! Flushed the remnants of some brown Dex-cool sludge out of the core, heat works great now. :sweat:

#13,289 ·
A week or so ago I built a trailer hitch for the Vette in anticipation of pulling a small sail boat once in a wile (club cruises to the lake, etc). today was the first time I had actually hooked the boat to the car and drove it down the road, and I noticed the rear view was pretty poor, so today I built a "clip on" high mount mirror. a strap of 1" wide aluminum with a strip of fuzzy velcro inside to protect the stainless. it's pretty crude, but very effective. now I can see over the boat so I'll know what's about to run over me. ;)

Russ

Attachments

#13,292 ·
A week or so ago I built a trailer hitch for the Vette in anticipation of pulling a small sail boat once in a wile (club cruises to the lake, etc). today was the first time I had actually hooked the boat to the car and drove it down the road, and I noticed the rear view was pretty poor, so today I built a "clip on" high mount mirror. a strap of 1" wide aluminum with a strip of fuzzy velcro inside to protect the stainless. it's pretty crude, but very effective. now I can see over the boat so I'll know what's about to run over me. ;)

Russ
Great idea ,and useful:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#13,295 ·

Russ
Damn I have wanted a little sailboat like that for years. One of these days I hope one falls in my lap (cheap enough that I can't say no) so I can check that off my bucket list.

Brian

#13,299 ·
got the roll cage finished up and and painted this morning. Cut and fabed up the sheet metal for the trans tunnel, got it done. Built a box to raise the shifter up some to be able to reach it easier. Got it all done and decided that was enough for one day. Will finish the little odds and ends on it tomarrow while I smoke the brisket the wife bought today.

Attachments

#13,300 ·

Russ
That is really cool, Russ. The best part is it removes to use on the boat to keep track of the water skiers behind you without turning around...:D