The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 69 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
My rough fit..I'll do the finish work after the rear fender piece I made is shaped to match the contours of the orig...but I'm pleased with it so far...
Cool post. Do you have shrinker-stretcher jaws to help you get the shape into it? Looking forward to pics of this coming together.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Looking good Mike.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Cool post. Do you have shrinker-stretcher jaws to help you get the shape into it? Looking forward to pics of this coming together.
yes sir.I shaped the other side very close and in about an hour it took some doing trying to shrink around a curve but I finally got it.
Unfortuneately I never even had a minute to get at it today but its first on the list for tomorrow. All I got done was find my electric window regulators and switches found some cool stuff for doing my wireing job ,I got some great advice and contacts from our elrctrical wizards right here...this cars been insured and ready to drive (short trips) for a few weeks now its pure hell not being able to get the last few hours in to finish it up enough to drive...I gotta have the rear fenders done a third tail light (one each side) brake lights and just a couple odds and ends...Not done but done enough to drive around in safely and tell ya the truth I'm getting a little bored recoating my parking lot with rubber...and I dont dare go more than a couple miles up the road using hand signals...people around here dont even know what a blinker is used for they dam sure wont know why I'm sticking my arm out the window...Oh well.....
Tomorrows another day...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Keep the pictures coming. Yours has been, and still is, a very interesting project.

John L
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 AM

I wish I took more pics but its not something I'm used too. when I started out film was expensive so we just took a few pics of some of the highlights of the build and then the required before and after...Now days pics are basiclly free and I should be taking them at every step but I forget...I'f we only had these digital cameras and computors in the 70's..Thanks John
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

LOL... I'm with you on that.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Boy, there sure are some nice builds gong on in here!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
I wish I took more pics but its not something I'm used too. when I started out film was expensive so we just took a few pics of some of the highlights of the build and then the required before and after...Now days pics are basiclly free and I should be taking them at every step but I forget...I'f we only had these digital cameras and computors in the 70's..Thanks John
When I think of the things I USED to do on a regular basis that there are no photos of, jeeeez. I was trying desperately to make a friggin living, I didn't have time to take photos much less get on this internet thing (it didn't exist or was in it's infancy). I chopped the top on a VW bug in one day, we are talking in primer in one day. Now this wasn't an 8 hour day like I do now. It was more like 12, but that is what I was doing. I have a few photos and run into them now and then but damn I wish I would have gotten more of my shop.

Brian
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM

OMG yes,my day always started at 8:00 But being the only painter at most of the shops I worked at it didnt end untill all the paint work was done...at least 2-3 times a week id still be there painting at 2:00 AM.,If I didnt stay people didnt get paid ,no time for pics...and it was usually the boss or a customer that took them when any got shot...with Big Daddy Don Gartlits 1mi.up the road in a small town we did some pretty cool stuff like a Daytona charger with the tall wing...Man that wing is a heavy SOB...BTW I made some progress and got a few pics today ,I'll down load them later tonight when I get home....
Hey brian ,remember when those poleroid instamatics first came out? man was that the sheet or what....LOL every hi tec body shop had one....and mico flish for paint formulas....try handing a painter some of that stuff and see how long he lasts these days....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OMG yes,my day always started at 8:00 But being the only painter at most of the shops I worked at it didnt end untill all the paint work was done...at least 2-3 times a week id still be there painting at 2:00 AM.,If I didnt stay people didnt get paid ,no time for pics...and it was usually the boss or a customer that took them when any got shot...with Big Daddy Don Gartlits 1mi.up the road in a small town we did some pretty cool stuff like a Daytona charger with the tall wing...Man that wing is a heavy SOB...BTW I made some progress and got a few pics today ,I'll down load them later tonight when I get home....
Hey brian ,remember when those poleroid instamatics first came out? man was that the sheet or what....LOL every hi tec body shop had one....and mico flish for paint formulas....try handing a painter some of that stuff and see how long he lasts these days....
I had a Polaroid camera that an insurance company loaned me for taking photos of their insureds cars for recording condition. We are not talking about collision work, we are talking when a new insured jumped on board with them I would take photos of the car and write a little report recording previous damage, that sort of thing, filling out a form and then putting it all in an SASE envelope they provided and dropping it in the mail. I did three or four a month and as I remember got about $10 for each one. WHOO HOO. As I was saying over in a thread about matching a color on a Lotus in the body and paint forum, it is WILD how different painting is today. You had a microfiche with ONE formula and using your mixing bank and knowledge you matched the color. Today they look at the variants and find the closest one and that's about it. I am blown away at how little actual matching they do, it is a lost art that's for sure.

And I am probably the same with estimating, I can barely remember hand writing an est and calculating overlap and blend times and what not. You know I forced myself to use my left hand on the 10 key so I could add up a figure and not have to pickup my pen with the right hand to write the figure on the est sheet. Still to this day I use both hands darn near equally because I have forced myself to do things like that.

It was damn hard work back then in my shop, but I am so thrilled that I did it. My brother had a mechanical shop a few shops down the building and we built a number of cars together. We walked down to the local old hangout that our dad went to as a kid. We really had it made, it was a wonderful time in my life.

Brian
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

The problem with us old guys is the pictures we have are on paper. They aren't on a cd waiting to be downloaded to the net. It is just too much trouble to get them scanned into the computer so they can be posted on line. Probably the quality of the picture would stink anyway. The young guys will just have to take our word for what we say we did... Anyway, the older I get, the better I was.

John L
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
The problem with us old guys is the pictures we have are on paper. They aren't on a cd waiting to be downloaded to the net. It is just too much trouble to get them scanned into the computer so they can be posted on line. Probably the quality of the picture would stink anyway. The young guys will just have to take our word for what we say we did... Anyway, the older I get, the better I was.

John L
I have a scanner now (Kodac Scanner/printer/copier and I love this damn thing) so I can scan them pretty easy. I will post something once in a while that I simply took a photo of it with my camera. But it's better than nothing.

Brian
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

That is good. If I wasn't so lazy, I would learn to do that. Pictures sure make posts more enjoyable as well as more informative.

John
Old 05-23-2012, 07:41 PM

my 5yr old grandkids navigate the computer better than I do.
Well I got a bit accomplished today.
Heres the fender I'm starting with,other than being widened 2" and tapered toward the back its the original shape.
After fastening the new piece where it was supposed to be I took it outside and had a look made a few small adjustments and heres where it will be placed...I used few drill screws to hold it in place they also help relocate it in the same spot each time I remove it and shape it and then check it a few hundred times
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7661.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	797.1 KB
ID:	65542   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7665.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	944.2 KB
ID:	65543   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7666.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	890.6 KB
ID:	65544   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7668.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	625.3 KB
ID:	65545   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7669.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	65546  

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

You are redefining the term fat fendered Street Rod. Keep the pictures coming so we can follow along with this "transformation".

John L

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.