Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#13,801 ·
We had planned to go to our State Fair today but the forecast didn't look good when we checked on Saturday. My wife decided we should go the next day, Sunday, which the weekends are always crowded, and it was. We ride an express bus right onto the grounds and avoid all the parking hassle. We got there at 9 AM and it was crowded...:rolleyes: There weren't enough people to set an attendance record but with 180,000 others around, it was more congested than I care for.

Guess the better half was right though. Today's forecast is for temps in the upper 80's to 90° with very high humidity and a chance of rain off and on.

#13,802 ·
Spent all day yesterday and a lot of today cleaning up debris from the humongous windstorm that marched through on Saturday. Over a million people without power for most of Saturday, (power company said over 350,000 customers, so do the math on average family sizes and etc) trees down everywhere, cars smushed by falling trees and branches down all over - including my yard. Heavy rains (finally!) and winds gusting over 70 mph.

Took family out to get dinner Saturday night - had to drive 30 miles to find a restaurant that :
A) had power, and
B) was not packed to the doors

We got power back on Sunday at about 2:00 AM, but internet & cable were out until this morning.

Winds have died down but raining now- and we sure need the moisture!
God it is so wild how different two different areas can be!

Brian

#13,803 ·
Spent all day yesterday and a lot of today cleaning up debris from the humongous windstorm that marched through on Saturday. Over a million people without power for most of Saturday, (power company said over 350,000 customers, so do the math on average family sizes and etc) trees down everywhere, cars smushed by falling trees and branches down all over - including my yard. Heavy rains (finally!) and winds gusting over 70 mph.

Took family out to get dinner Saturday night - had to drive 30 miles to find a restaurant that :
A) had power, and
B) was not packed to the doors

We got power back on Sunday at about 2:00 AM, but internet & cable were out until this morning.

Winds have died down but raining now- and we sure need the moisture!
We got away without losing our power, but everywhere around us did.

It has been pouring rain off and on since then, and it sure is nice to see, because we have had many fires in our area.

#13,809 ·
I've been trying to strip 2 front fenders for my '62 Impala. The aircraft stripper doesn't seem to work very well. The can had a lot of dust on it when I got it from the parts place. I'm wondering if it was old and "stale" ???

I'd like to get them and the hood in primer and on the car so I can drive it once before winter. It's been sitting here since spring with valid plates and insurance on it...:rolleyes:

I need to clean up the mess of chips from the stumps today too.

#13,810 ·
Yep I know the aircraft stripper very well, had places on the grille where I could not get to with the sanders so I decided to use it. Have not checked to see what the paint was on jeeps back then in 1967 but it was tough, even the the stripper had problems removing it. Firste application just brightened up the yellow color it was when new, the second coating of stripper bubbled it up and third got all the first and second didnt get. Then came wire wheel and sand paper.

#13,812 ·
I been gluing up a million pipes, throwing extra dirt into the window well to clear the basement slab, marking lines on the foundation wall where the concrete will stop, moving 3 yards of limestone screening to set the pipes on, having a plumbing inspection, setting up the posts that hold the beam up, watching the stone slinger shoot rocks into the basement followed up with raking them level, re-adjusting pipes.....and holy cow, I'm freakin' dying man.........:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

A few fellas will stop by tomorrow to shmooze the concrete slab in the basement tomorrow.....oh yeah....framing next.

Attachments

#13,814 ·
I been gluing up a million pipes, throwing extra dirt into the window well to clear the basement slab, marking lines on the foundation wall where the concrete will stop, moving 3 yards of limestone screening to set the pipes on, having a plumbing inspection, setting up the posts that hold the beam up, watching the stone slinger shoot rocks into the basement followed up with raking them level, re-adjusting pipes.....and holy cow, I'm freakin' dying man.........:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

A few fellas will stop by tomorrow to shmooze the concrete slab in the basement tomorrow.....oh yeah....framing next.
The one regret we have from building our house in 2007 was NOT building a basement. we love our house, but do miss having that.

Today I sold my Jag XK8. I hope the new owner enjoys it more than I did. :drunk:

Russ

#13,815 ·
.......... Removed the silicone plug I had put in the booster vacuum tube ( and somebody :spank: forgot to remove) to keep the dirt out. Put it all back together and voila, power brakes, just like I remember!:thumbup:
That "somebody" hangs around my garage also,.........a lot.........:D

#13,817 ·

DANG you do excellent work...:)

I am curious why you have a center support beam instead of using trusses ?? Is the house going to be 2 stories and code requires that for the weight ?

#13,818 ·
DANG you do excellent work...:)

I am curious why you have a center support beam instead of using trusses ?? Is the house going to be 2 stories and code requires that for the weight ?
Thanks.

Floor trusses to span 26' would be 16" high compared to the 9-1/2" high TJI joists I will be using. The second floor will be getting 16" open web truss joists though, so no more posts or load bearing walls in the rest of the house. They are made out of 2x4's.

Attachments

#13,819 ·
Hard work today.....someone had to hold the camera.
I took pics of the guys doing the floor......:mwink:

Attachments

#13,820 ·
Dang, that's a LOT of mud to hump with a wheel barrow...:pain:

The wife and I worked for 2 hours cutting up brush and trees I had cut down last winter. I already had a dead Poplar on the trailer that came down in a wind a few weeks ago. I need the trailer next week to go get the new plow for my pickup, so we decided to load the trailer up and make the trip to the brush collection site worth while. We are both sweaty messes as the temp was 81° with 81 PERCENT humidity when we started. The temp is now 84 and the humidity dropped all the way to 64%...:rolleyes: