The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 71 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Thanks but Puggs is light years ahead of me.I,m just starting to learn metal shaping curves and its as frustrating as it is rewarding,I have done a ton of door bottoms and straight stuff like rockers...making it curve by streaching and shrinking is a whole different world...But I'm completely addicted to it to the point where I dont want to do anything else...but I know what the end result I'm trying to get would look like so what I cant do because of lack of talent and experiance I can get with bondo if I have too...and what I cant make out of one piece of steel I make out of seveal smaller pieces its just easier untill I get a lot better...
Anyways I started out by fitting the lenses in and brought it outside to have a better look at different angles at first I didnt like three at all but at a few angles they look good so I need to play around with getting some of bulk out of the back of the fender threw the skirts on and hated them ,I dont think I'll be using them but I'll rethink them later....So, I got all my ideas and more changes to make then brought it back inside to start cutting..Notice how the rear angle ofthe wheel opening is at the same angle of the rear slope of the roof and the front of the opening matches the front roof angle....Got luckly on that one ...
man, I soo want to work at a place that will allow me the time to do that kind of work with english wheels. I can use a hand shrinker and stretcher if I desired but not really allowed the time to get all crazy hand shaping it, but I'd love that. Just the other day boss tells me 20+ patches ASAP. Meaning, don't do it good, just get it done. I just lapped them on top and tacked them in. No fun at all and the challenge was to see how fast I can do it for my own entertainment...man, this trade is getting cheaper and cheaper by the day.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I am not kidding guys, I have to thank you, you are pushing me.

I went out even though I wasn't planning, I went out and put in that five minutes. Of course it turned into over an hour and I am pretty sure I am DONE with the windows, doors and top alignment! WHOO HOOO! I have just a couple more pieces of trim to polish and install around the top and I will be heading into the top it's self.

Of course John Kay and Steppenwolf spinning on the turn table helped me get the stuff done too, thank you John Kay.

Brian
my favorite "get your head right" music is jimi hendrix 'band of gypsys" stevie Ray Von and Buddy Guy.that stuff really gets me in a creative mode..Yesterday,I actually had the guy next door come over and ask me to turn it down a hair...I didnt hear or see him come in and he may have caught me dancing , I'm not sure I hope not .that wouldn't be pretty..funny as hell but not too pretty...
funny thing,this morning I checked out the pics I posted last night and now I like the skirts and they might just set the whole thing off if I get the bottom just right...I'm thinking the skirt bottom should go straight across with no wheel opening at all....and, Now I hate the taillights so aftethinking about them in bed last night rethinking what I did I decided to squeeze them closer together leaving the first one (closest to the trunk)where it is and cutting out the other two...That'll be my first order of business today.... after getting my head right...Jimi cant be turned down (for some reason it only plays at full blast on my stereo.....so I'm going in early while no one is around
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,256 Posts
Lord, I wish I was as Enthusiastic about something as you are the Plymouth. Don't get so busy dancing you forget the pictures. I am going to keep practicing with this sewing machine. Getting better but can't make Dan TwoLakes proud of me yet. Small motor pulley should come Tuesday. Hoping that makes the starting smoother.

John L
Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
man, I soo want to work at a place that will allow me the time to do that kind of work with english wheels. I can use a hand shrinker and stretcher if I desired but not really allowed the time to get all crazy hand shaping it, but I'd love that. Just the other day boss tells me 20+ patches ASAP. Meaning, don't do it good, just get it done. I just lapped them on top and tacked them in. No fun at all and the challenge was to see how fast I can do it for my own entertainment...man, this trade is getting cheaper and cheaper by the day.
Hey Tec, The best move I ever made was getting my HF E wheel and a complete set of avils...they are NOT great but they ARE good enough to get you into the game at a reasonable price...Being cheap as I am and like making stuff as much as I do I was going to make my first one ...That would have been a "BIG" mistake. Now that I've been playing around with it a while and getting pretty handy with it I realized how would I build a tool all wrong and make it work without knowing how to use it...I have no intentions on getting a real nice one but if an old one comes across my path at a great price I'll snath it up...get one for 200.00 and play with it then go out and get the set of anvils for another 100.00 and your in the game...Its my favorite tool in the whole shop...but you need a reason to be playing with it and a challenge so get an old car with lots of curves and especally rust holes so you have an end result your trying to accomplish with a purpose to your playing...the metal shaping guys are fantastic and will help you with everything allmetal shape .com.....Dont make the same mistake as I did and wait 30 yrs before getting into it...But needing to do fast patch work is nessecary, knowing short cuts like no measuring and welding quickly is important to getting there...You always need that little guy on your shoulder reminding you of how much time its taking so you dont get all caught up on on one particular spot and when its time to move on to the next step even when your not too happy with the previous one...I like to refere to it as roughing in a panel ,it saves a lot of time and keeps you from cutting out all the perfect work you did when you find out later things change a little and need to be tweeked... Get the HF E- whee I promice you ,you wont ever regret it...
That said: I'm looking for someone just like you so if anyone near Augusta wants to play around building thiei car or just build the old stuff and have full use of the shop and everything in it.PM me and lets have some fun... I need a little help getting the work done so I can play more with this stuff...I do a lot of production work and nice car lot work to pay the bills and I like it because it keeps me fast ,tuned in and can get as much or little as I want...Plus I deal with professionals only and never have to deal with someone (desk jockies) without a clue of whats involved ,thinking I'm ripping them off,Ive got NO patience for that....But Pm me anyways and we can talk about this and getting into it on a budget..since I've alredy made quite a few mistakes and wasted a lot of time I can save you from doing the same.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Lord, I wish I was as Enthusiastic about something as you are the Plymouth. Don't get so busy dancing you forget the pictures. I am going to keep practicing with this sewing machine. Getting better but can't make Dan TwoLakes proud of me yet. Small motor pulley should come Tuesday. Hoping that makes the starting smoother.

John L
Danny's a great guy ,I'll have lots of questions for him at a later date...BTW I have six sewing machine tables with the foot peddles and everything but the machine if you need anything let me know and air clamps for holding down the material...I'm just going to cut them up and make work tables so they're free if you can use them...You to danny if your out there if not just tell him next time yall talk...
Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Well,

I just have to tell someone-my Hilborn Stack Injection showed up, and I opened it up just to look at it-WoW! I just stood there and looked at it, admiring the workmanship, and went through all of the included parts-to me it is so cool!

Unfortuneatly, some of the Holley EFI stuff isn't here yet, but I got all of the Hilborn stuff-this is going to be murder until I can drive it!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
Any photos? Hilborns, what classic hot rod stuff.

Brian
Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

It's just parts and pieces, not assembled-give me a few weeks or so (hopefully, but things never seem to go as planned), and I'll show it to you on the engine (the engine is at the Machine Shop/Builder now, and the Heads are at the polisher, should be done next week) and should be running soon.

I'm gong to go watch it on the Dyno when it's done-we're going to start it with a Dominator Carburetor, the hopefully, the rest of the Holley EFI stuff will show up, and then we will put it on the Dyno with the Hilborn-I've waited a long time for this! Thanks for asking!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Danny's a great guy ,I'll have lots of questions for him at a later date...BTW I have six sewing machine tables with the foot peddles and everything but the machine if you need anything let me know and air clamps for holding down the material...I'm just going to cut them up and make work tables so they're free if you can use them...You to danny if your out there if not just tell him next time yall talk...
I really appreciate that DBM. I built a sewing table rears ago when I was using my mini-walker. I had a shop in the basement that had only a 36 inch door so I had to build it so it could fit through. As you see it has leaves and will go from 32 inches to 8 feet. I will need to modify it for the Adler but haven't gotten into that yet.

John L

Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Yup that looks just like the ones I got...Exactly
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Hey Tec, The best move I ever made was getting my HF E wheel and a complete set of avils...they are NOT great but they ARE good enough to get you into the game at a reasonable price...Being cheap as I am and like making stuff as much as I do I was going to make my first one ...That would have been a "BIG" mistake. Now that I've been playing around with it a while and getting pretty handy with it I realized how would I build a tool all wrong and make it work without knowing how to use it...I have no intentions on getting a real nice one but if an old one comes across my path at a great price I'll snath it up...get one for 200.00 and play with it then go out and get the set of anvils for another 100.00 and your in the game...Its my favorite tool in the whole shop...but you need a reason to be playing with it and a challenge so get an old car with lots of curves and especally rust holes so you have an end result your trying to accomplish with a purpose to your playing...the metal shaping guys are fantastic and will help you with everything allmetal shape .com.....Dont make the same mistake as I did and wait 30 yrs before getting into it...But needing to do fast patch work is nessecary, knowing short cuts like no measuring and welding quickly is important to getting there...You always need that little guy on your shoulder reminding you of how much time its taking so you dont get all caught up on on one particular spot and when its time to move on to the next step even when your not too happy with the previous one...I like to refere to it as roughing in a panel ,it saves a lot of time and keeps you from cutting out all the perfect work you did when you find out later things change a little and need to be tweeked... Get the HF E- whee I promice you ,you wont ever regret it...
That said: I'm looking for someone just like you so if anyone near Augusta wants to play around building thiei car or just build the old stuff and have full use of the shop and everything in it.PM me and lets have some fun... I need a little help getting the work done so I can play more with this stuff...I do a lot of production work and nice car lot work to pay the bills and I like it because it keeps me fast ,tuned in and can get as much or little as I want...Plus I deal with professionals only and never have to deal with someone (desk jockies) without a clue of whats involved ,thinking I'm ripping them off,Ive got NO patience for that....But Pm me anyways and we can talk about this and getting into it on a budget..since I've alredy made quite a few mistakes and wasted a lot of time I can save you from doing the same.
great advice and it makes total sense. I was thinking of getting a chopper frame and fabricating the fenders and tank. Just a dream as of now but hopefully one day. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 AM

I've done some bike fenders, it was at metal meet class ,the only one I've been able to get to ...It was a 5hr drive but I loved it ...This was my first attempt at a compound curve. I think the cycle fender is the first thing they have you do.They even show you how to roll the edges around some wire to give it a real nice finished look..
The second best thing I can tell you is Find a class and go, it'll change your life.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 AM

I made a slip roll table with one ...but nothings welded so even this one is still a sewing table.The rest are stacked up in the shed.I found them in a dumpster when a local biz went out of bizness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7530.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	65611   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7528.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	738.0 KB
ID:	65612   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7527.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	788.8 KB
ID:	65613  
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
That is a very useful tool, nice.

Brian
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Let's see. You have how Many more tables for how many more tools? . How about a differential stand? Maybe making an engine run stand out of a couple. See 4 are gone already

John L

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.