Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#14,481 ·
I had a brake problem just like yours ,I finally tracked it down to the rubber lines being blocked.
I have seen this problem before where the rubber line separates internally creating a flapper that works like a check valve not letting pressure through. I've even seen it on hydraulic lines on heavy equipment. It can drive one bonkers.
New rear flex hose. The old one was collapsed. New wheel cylinders too.

#14,482 ·
i took an extension cord and a fan out to the house i am wiring and swept the water off the floor again and put the fan onto the wet wood floor to try and dry it out. hope it doesnt rain any more. what a ball buster. this guy who is supposed to be the "general" on this is in Jamaica. wont have any money till the framing inspection is done. the framing inspector wont pass it until i am done wiring! i can't get done till the house dries out and that might not happen until the roof is on. the 'general' cant put the roof on until i pass inspection. so.... the fan, hoping it works, and sun shine on wednesday with more rain in the forecast. i dont know what is going to happen. people shouldn't go on vacation in the middle of time sensitive projects. and people shouldn't tar paper a roof and expect it to be water tight! ESP WITH NO ROOF JACKS over the plumbing vents! idiot!

#14,483 ·
i took an extension cord and a fan out to the house i am wiring and swept the water off the floor again and put the fan onto the wet wood floor to try and dry it out. hope it doesnt rain any more. what a ball buster. this guy who is supposed to be the "general" on this is in Jamaica. wont have any money till the framing inspection is done. the framing inspector wont pass it until i am done wiring! i can't get done till the house dries out and that might not happen until the roof is on. the 'general' cant put the roof on until i pass inspection. so.... the fan, hoping it works, and sun shine on wednesday with more rain in the forecast. i dont know what is going to happen. people shouldn't go on vacation in the middle of time sensitive projects. and people shouldn't tar paper a roof and expect it to be water tight! ESP WITH NO ROOF JACKS over the plumbing vents! idiot!
Sounds like the inspection process is a circus too. The frame inspector shouldn't need the wiring in before passing the frame. Around here, the shingles go on right after the siding to get the structure weather proof. I don't think the electrical, pluming or hvac guys will set foot in a house until it is closed in.

#14,484 ·
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I am a Electrician and have never and would never wire a house without 4 walls and a roof. Id be calling his office and the state office.

#14,487 ·
Ram across this thought I would repost it,,check prices:D
I worked at a restoration shop in the late '70's and the owner had a lot of memorabilia. I remember a Ford Dealership parts list from 1932. The fenders were something crazy like $10, wouldn't that be cool!

Brian

#14,488 ·
I've had a frustrating day. Spent another $100 dollars on parts and 4 HOURS screwing around with the '62 Impala brakes and I STILL can't get pressure to the rear drums...:evil:

This morning, I decide to download the new windows 10 to a flash drive to install later, at least that is what the screen said it would do. WRONG, it went directly to my hard drive and took 8 HOURS to download and another 1 1/2 to install and set up. I just got it back at 8:35 and was on it for 20 minutes when it totally crashed... WTF...:mad: It did an auto shut down and reboot. Wow, I'm impressed with the new OPERATING system.

Hope all 'yall had a better day.
They could have had a little excesive wear like these ,,,lol:D:thumbup:

Attachments

#14,489 ·
I worked at a restoration shop in the late '70's and the owner had a lot of memorabilia. I remember a Ford Dealership parts list from 1932. The fenders were something crazy like $10, wouldn't that be cool!

Brian
Yea and these labor rates and the price of parts back then ,we could all build something

Chop top 250 ,custom int $200 Can just barley buy a set of floor mats for that now

#14,494 ·
I bought a new Boss plow for my 2011 K1500 and started putting it on today. The plow and carriage went quick and then I started on the wiring. That was a time consuming PITA and then the frame mount on the truck...WTF...they want me to CUT OUT the bottom of my bumper filler ??? Then the brackets that bolt in place of the tow hooks won't accommodate the bumper brackets...:rolleyes: I had to remove the bumper and cut off part of the bumper bracket so I can bolt up the plow mount and still put the bumper back on.

#14,495 ·
played with a friends NOS Reman 428FE . actually tore it apart.. found a few damaged pieces..

the #6 rod bearing was crushed and deformed where it would have probably killed the motor in minutes..

i really hate the oil galley to main alignments..

i wonder if ford drilled them off center to reduce flow as a design.. but i don't like it. 1, 2 and 4 are way ugly and offset.

Attachments

#14,497 ·
Finished welding in the bottom of the passenger door today.

I have a good friend coming over tomorrow to help me wheel the new door skin.

It is ok if everybody walks around with their fingers crossed for me tomorrow. The floppy low crown panels are always more difficult than the smaller high crowned ones.

John