Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#14,701 ·
I'm sure it's rusty and I'll deal with it once I get the outer skin off. ...........................

By the time the body goes back on the chassis next spring, I will have repaired or replaced about 70% of the panels over the past few years. I always put the car together and drive it the next summer, so I don't lose interest and dump it in a corner.
I like doing that. I drove the roadster every year. Put it together in the spring and took it apart every fall. I would be soooo excited to get the Bel Air yard drivable next summer where I could drive it to the cruise in and show it to the "gang". That sort of thing really keeps your interest and motivation strong.

John

#14,702 ·
one more project

Just started to take my Rupp mini bike apart to rebuild this winter. not sure of exact year but late 60's or early 70's. just took the engine off and sent to my local small engine repair shop friend. told him to rebuild it like new then I'll paint it later.
after I get the frame all apart I'm having it powder coated at a local shop. not sure what to do about the fender. this one only has a front fender I don't think there was a rear fender. it looks all original been in storage for at least 20y. looks like ebay has a lot of new parts listed if I need any.
Just had our first bit of snow so the streetrod is done for this year. On too the Rupp.

Attachments

#14,703 ·
I had a Bonanza mini bike and I liked the chrome fenders. The bonanza fender is a flat type fender that actually follows the curve of the rear wheel. I did a Honda z-50 a couple a years ago for my Grandson and it was fun.

I was looking at a couple of Rupps and they sported the short chrome fender and IMHO looks a lot better than the lame factory rear fender.

Here check em out.

Attachments

#14,704 ·
Well, today I winterized the Bigfoot travel trailer and spent a lot of time assisting one of my clients with her business issues.

Supposed to get c-c-cold around here (relatively - by west coast standards) overnight, so I couldn't put off the trailer stuff. Blew out all the lines, drained all the water tanks (incl the water heater) and ran pink stuff through the lines, took the battery out and put it in the shop with a batt maintainer on it

Tomorrow, depending on weather, I may get more cleanup done in the shop, or I may hibernate in front of the fire, with a book & a glass or 5 of wine.

#14,705 ·
I had a Bonanza mini bike and I liked the chrome fenders. The bonanza fender is a flat type fender that actually follows the curve of the rear wheel. I did a Honda z-50 a couple a years ago for my Grandson and it was fun.

I was looking at a couple of Rupps and they sported the short chrome fender and IMHO looks a lot better than the lame factory rear fender.

Here check em out.
I never heard of the bonanza, my rupp has bigger dia tires than what most smaller mini bikes had. after looking at some online it looks like mine had a rear fender, looks like a 1970 roadster. I think im going to powder coat the fenders and tank same color. the chrome is pretty rusty on my fender. thx

#14,709 ·
It looks like the area under it is solid. That is a good thing! :thumbup:

John
Top side of the inner structure looks good. The ugly stuff is underneath...:(
I released the hinge springs to eliminate the tension on the structure and I'll drill out the hinge rivets to clean, paint and lubricate the hinge assemblies. They have squeaked and crunched since I got the car. The rivets are very rusty and I will replace them with grade 8 bolts and GREASE.

#14,710 ·
I never heard of the bonanza, my rupp has bigger dia tires than what most smaller mini bikes had. after looking at some online it looks like mine had a rear fender, looks like a 1970 roadster. I think im going to powder coat the fenders and tank same color. the chrome is pretty rusty on my fender. thx

A Bonanza is just a late 60's minibike. Here are 2 examples. I owned one just like the shinny blue one. on the right. well it was shinny like new when I got it.. It had some tiny shocks in the back with a stubby little swing arm.

Attachments

#14,711 · (Edited)
Did a little wood working today

we bought some cheap pine boards (100.00 aint really cheap) and made our own bed floor for the 69 C-10. I wasn't really sure how it would all play out so if I made any mistakes I figured it would be best to make them in the pine and not the mahogany or cherry (undecided)that it'll end up with, this will also allow us to keep the project going forward (4" body drop) its been a fun little project so far. for the most part.

Attachments

#14,713 ·
we bought some cheap pine boards (100.00 aint really cheap) and made our own bed floor for the 69 C-10. I wasn't really sure how it would all play out so if I made any mistakes I figured it would be best to make them in the pine and not the mahogany or cherry (undecided)that it'll end up with, this will also allow us to keep the project going forward (4" body drop) its been a fun little project so far. for the most part.
Cool indeed! I love that project. :thumbup:

John

#14,714 ·
Oops,bed floor is done today

Well I had to take the bed floor out and make my rabbits a hare wider :mwink: by the time I got to the boards on the end I was losing the holes in the cross sills ,took out i.5 gazillion carriage bolts and started over. luckily I was able to cut twice.:sweat:
Today after we eat some turkey I plan on going back to the shop and bolting the sides on......if I wake up from my nap in time

Attachments

#14,718 ·
After we hung the door on "Old Rusty" Tim and I went up to my friends place where I have the parts truck parked and cranked the 454. She started right up after sitting since July without even a lifter click. I also topped it off with antifreeze. I know it is a slug as far as far as 454's go but I am convinced it is a good motor. I enjoyed letting her run a while and warm up.

John

#14,719 ·
Well I had to take the bed floor out and make my rabbits a hare wider :mwink: by the time I got to the boards on the end I was losing the holes in the cross sills ,took out i.5 gazillion carriage bolts and started over. luckily I was able to cut twice.:sweat:
Today after we eat some turkey I plan on going back to the shop and bolting the sides on......if I wake up from my nap in time
we did a few beds with the wood while I worked at a place that did Chevy trucks. We found great success with spraying thane, wet sanding with 400, then reapplying it. Oh man, they turned out so good when doing that, but we didn't get those results right off the bat...doh!

what kind of urethane you using?

#14,720 ·
After we hung the door on "Old Rusty" Tim and I went up to my friends place where I have the parts truck parked and cranked the 454. She started right up after sitting since July without even a lifter click. I also topped it off with antifreeze. I know it is a slug as far as far as 454's go but I am convinced it is a good motor. I enjoyed letting her run a while and warm up.

John
A running slug is better than no slug. I've had a slug in my '66 SS since I bought it. I may have that sold now and am working on resurrecting the LS5 from my original '70 SS 454 Chevelle...:D