Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#15,901 · (Edited)
Got the 23T in paint last Monday. Did a quick cut to get rid of the dust nibs, compounded and polished. Spent the day today laying out the flames on the driver side and rear fenders. Still have the passenger side and the air cleaner to lay out. Should be in paint on Tuesday if I have any energy left.

Decided to ditch the old black interior and redo it in red in the same style. Got a 2nd row seat out of an 80's minivan. Need to narrow it 1.5 inches. Got tired of sitting on 3-4 inches of foam padding over plywood. Hard on the butt. At least now I'll have some decent padding and springs.

Cameras & optics Tripod Camera operator Room Photography

Room Bumper Table Furniture

#15,902 ·
Completed the 2700 mile trip to the new house in Savannah. Spent the first couple of days unpacking the motor home and trailer. I was suprised this Saturday with a car show a couple of mile from the house. I just had to go and check it out. It was a great opportunity to find a local body and paint guy for my project truck. The show had a mixed bag of about 30 or so cars. Mostly newer muscle cars with a some older iron and a couple of rat rods for good measure.

BTW I did find a possible lead on a local paint guy.

#15,905 ·
I finished my project. :D I have to tell you a little about this. These flowers were made by a wonderful man about 40 years ago. He was my next door neighbor who was born in 1902 in Ireland. He came to America in 1922 and got a job with Southern Pacific retiring in 1966. He and his wife were both 92 years old having been married 70 years when I moved into this house. They passed away at 94 in 1997 a few months apart.

Mr. Henderson made these flowers and gave them to the lady who lived in my house along with some he made for his yard. I removed them from the yard some years ago when they were looking pretty funky and they were in a box in the back yard me planning on restoring them and it finally happened. I had to make a few new wood pieces but used as many of his as I could even if they were pretty rotted. But they are back out in front of my house and I love it. :D

Brian

Attachments

#15,908 ·
Had our monthly hotrod breakfast get together this morning. Then came home and finally did the transmission service on my wife's dreaded Mazda. As I expected you have to disassemble half the car to get to the trans pan! At least it's done, and we'll probably dump it before it needs another trans service!

#15,910 ·
Ooops!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
Yeah, great huh? Yesterday on our drive I heard noise because I was sitting in the passenger seat and my hearing isn't so good and all of a sudden I am hearing a clicking sound as we went over a bridge with a high side on it so the sound was reflecting back at me. I got home and looked into it and the valve covers had leaked pretty bad off the back of the heads, I guess that's were it all went. But it was two quarts low! I was very glad to have it silent today when I changed the filter and oil and put the correct amount. Likely I haven't been hot rodding it. But the way it's driven so seldom I just never would have thought, it didn't have hardly any miles on it.

Brian

#15,911 ·
Wife just rang me, her xr8 falcon,said lights on dash are like a Xmas tree, water light brake light and hazards going on and won't turn off. I talked her through battery disconnect and reconnect to reset hazards , I will do fluids when she's home later. She keeps a 6 inch crescent and screwdrivers in her car. Booked in tomorrow for an engine mount replacement. They say its common. I don't have the facilities to fix that.

Later gator
Russ:D

#15,912 ·
Today I helped my brother with the roof mouldings on his wife's 57 Bird. We pulled the top off to install these little corner mouldings and found that they didn't fit! I went looking on the net and it says 55-57 so I don't know what's up but they don't fit. I can shorten the moulding going over the door I guess. But they don't match the rear moulding's size, it looks like crap if you ask me.

Brian

Attachments

#15,913 ·
Wife just rang me, her xr8 falcon,said lights on dash are like a Xmas tree, water light brake light and hazards going on and won't turn off. I talked her through battery disconnect and reconnect to reset hazards , I will do fluids when she's home later. She keeps a 6 inch crescent and screwdrivers in her car. Booked in tomorrow for an engine mount replacement. They say its common. I don't have the facilities to fix that.

Later gator
Russ:D
Hope things go smooth, it doesn't sound good though, damn it.

Brian

#15,914 ·
Today I helped my brother with the roof mouldings on his wife's 57 Bird. We pulled the top off to install these little corner mouldings and found that they didn't fit! I went looking on the net and it says 55-57 so I don't know what's up but they don't fit. I can shorten the moulding going over the door I guess. But they don't match the rear moulding's size, it looks like crap if you ask me.

Brian
If they are repro, they aren't supposed to fit...:D

That one almost seems to be for the other side ??