The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 81 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Keep the pictures coming Brian. It is going to be exciting when you start to install the pads. Won't be long by the look of things. I hope you will let us follow the installation along with you.

John L

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
I looked at a number of convertibles at the Goodguys and it helped me get a little more comfortable. Funny how there was a few different ways to do things, now that really made me feel comfortable with it. I am not so freaked about it.

Brian
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

At some point GM started using a floating rear tack strip that attached inside the rear of the body. It would appear to me that it would be difficult to staple the top to the tack strip and then install it in the car. I know there has to be trick of the trade to do this. I would like to know more about the process but have not researched it.

John L
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

That is exactly what this has, and I am just figuring out how to do it. Like I said, it's getting more and more do-able in my head.

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Looks great! I need to install a new rubber, or reinstall the rubber on my '69 Burb. Just got to get to it before summer is over!
Thanks.

Isn't your type of rubber the kind that needs to be installed by pulling a rope or something?

I sure wouldn't be looking forward to something like that or is it a lot simpler than I think it would be?

Good luck with it. Don't forget to have the epoxy and touch up paint ready.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

yeah Puggs,That looks great and the yellow looks like a good match too...
The last windshield I TRIED to install was a rope type in a full size van,tried for two days before finally giving up.I thought the glass certainly had to be cut wrong so I called the glassman and an hour later it was in, he did it all by himself...It pissed me off so bad I never touched another piece of glass again...
Clint E. says a mans GOTTA know his limitations ...Glass is one of mine and I dont touch it ,I wont even take a broken one out I just call my friendly neighborhood glass man over and watch how ez it CAN be...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Helped a guy put a new harmonic balancer on the 454 in his '70 Monte Carlo. It seems the brand new balancer was machined a little too tight, Couldn't even get it started. Honed it out a little with a flapper wheel, and was then able to get it on about 2/3rds of the way with a shop hammer and a block of wood and the rest of the way with the bolt. Now he is trying to find the correct power steering pump brackets and pulley. He really needs to sell that engine and find one for me to build milder for him. The engine was in a race car and has 12 to 1 compression and a wild cam. Hardly streetable. Big Al
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Man ,I had a hellava time finding all the right brackets for my old 350,I finally gave up and went with the serpentine (GM) system ,I'll never use anything else...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Man ,I had a hellava time finding all the right brackets for my old 350,I finally gave up and went with the serpentine (GM) system ,I'll never use anything else...
They have three Montes between the dad and two sons. The dad is 47 and him and the sons are in the body shop business, dad for over 20 yrs. One of the other Montes also has a 454 with all the right stuff, so it is out there somewhere. They find and restore cars for their own use also. All are licensed with antique plates. The dad just had to have a fifth garage built because they keep adding cars. What problem to have.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Got to spend a few hours on the rumble seat. Patterns are made and finally got to sit down at the sewing machine. Been a good day.

John L

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Good going John, looking great! I got as far as simply studying the assembly manual on the top and going to post a few questions to Dan and see what I can learn. That and a basketball game with my 11 year old, I love it when they start getting too good at stuff where you don't have to let them win anymore.

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Cool. I remember your posts to Dan regarding the tack strips. I usually follow the interior posts. I will follow you guys over there. Hope to learn with you. Will have to just lurk though. Don't know enough to contribute. That 11 year old is better than a hot rod. I have an 8 and 10 year old granddaughter. They are priceless.

John L
Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM

You know ,That looks like something I might enjoy doing (at home) and there's hardly anyone doing any good interior work around here...mabee I'll keep one of those sewing machine tables and start playing around with it..It might be kinda nice having a hobby that you dont get nasty and dirty when you do it... How much do you think I'll have to spend on an old machine ????
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You know ,That looks like something I might enjoy doing (at home) and there's hardly anyone doing any good interior work around here...mabee I'll keep one of those sewing machine tables and start playing around with it..It might be kinda nice having a hobby that you dont get nasty and dirty when you do it... How much do you think I'll have to spend on an old machine ????
That is exactly what I like about it Mike. The biggest draw back is it takes up quite a bit of room for the machine, sewing material and cutting table. Also generates lots of thread and lint. The other thing is you unlike body work, you don't know how well you are doing until you put it together and find out how well it fits.

On the plus side, my finger nails are clean right now and it is something that shows so if it goes well, it is a bit of an ego trip. It is also guilt work which the neighbors probably like.

I bought a a refurbished Adler 267 machine from a company in Franklin, Tn for 795 dollars. I then bought a servo motor for 195 because it gives much better low speed control so I ended up spending about 1000. That is on the high end. I have seen lots of threads where guys have bought used machines from individuals for 300 dollars. There are many threads about this very subject in the interior forum that DanTwoLakes has addressesd in detail. Let's face it, one interior will pay for the machine.

John L
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

It's amazing to me how many Craftsmen we have on this Board-

As for me, I am just finishing putting the front of my Car back together-I had to modify my Firewall , as I am running a Cam Synch and need the room for it, so I notched the Firewall, finished and Painted it over the last few weeks.

I had all of the front end parts re-powdercoated and cleared (looks real good in person), and all I have left is to put the Brake Lines back on, then I get to tear out all of my new stainless fuel lines and replace them with -8 (both inlet and return), and the Weldon pump and fuel filter(s) set-up-

I also have to replace the fuel pump insert that I had made by Rock Valley for my fuel tank to have a return port for the fuel-I originally designed it for an in-tank fuel pump (for quiet), but the new Weldon's are very quiet, and this will allow me better access.

I am an absolute idiot in changing my mind on this build, and have amassed about $5k in parts I will have to sell when finished, but I guess that will allow me to buy fuel for this thing-

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.