Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#16,344 ·
Went to the wrecking yard looking for a rear end for the Falcon. Found a 50 Dodge and 75 Corvette instead! Damn I hate seeing these cars there.

Nick also found this handy leak absorber. The twin engine Saab was cool.

Brian

Attachments

#16,346 ·
Went to the wrecking yard looking for a rear end for the Falcon. Found a 50 Dodge and 75 Corvette instead! Damn I hate seeing these cars there.

Nick also found this handy leak absorber. The twin engine Saab was cool.

Brian
Good grief you people down there are so spoiled by clean used parts !! That '50 Plymouth would be considered MINT up here. The front clip would bring a nice price for a restoration.

I guess I missed why the Falcon now needs a rear axle ??

#16,347 ·
Good grief you people down there are so spoiled by clean used parts !! That '50 Plymouth would be considered MINT up here. The front clip would bring a nice price for a restoration.

I guess I missed why the Falcon now needs a rear axle ??
It's 4 lug and we can change that and put a stronger rear end in there at the same time. And believe me, I know how lucky I am living here. But at the same time I feel so bad for a car like that Dodge, it really is rust free, a very solid car, what a shame.

Brian

#16,348 ·
It's 4 lug and we can change that and put a stronger rear end in there at the same time. And believe me, I know how lucky I am living here. But at the same time I feel so bad for a car like that Dodge, it really is rust free, a very solid car, what a shame.

Brian
Oh yeah, now the old brain remembers, you want all 4 wheels the same..;)

It's kind of unbelievable that it ended up at the pick-a-pull, but it appears to be stripped somewhat. Maybe the owner tried to sell it whole, or even as parts, but it just didn't move...:confused:

#16,349 ·
My wife was at a quilt conference Friday and Sat, so I was free to go to the No. St. Paul history cruise Friday and eat dinner there. It was the maiden voyage out of the immediate neighborhood for my '62 Impala and it has a "few" bugs to work out...:rolleyes:
Sat, there was a new benefit show at the local Discount Tires/O'Rielly parking lot. Very poor turn out but an old guy had a top fuel dragster he built in the early 60's on display and started it at noon. Full blown, nitro injected hemi. What a sweet sound that was !!! I was p!$$ed I didn't have my camera with...:mad:
Sunday was back to yard work. We spent another 6 hours clearing the last of the buckthorn and it's root mass in one corner, leveling the ground and transplanting 3 large clumps of Iris and a Peonie to that newly created clearing.

#16,350 ·

Brian
Grab an 8.8" out of an Explorer. Will require some reworking to fit, but you can get a '94 or newer and have 4 wheel disc brakes then! The Explorer 8.8" has one long side axle, so pulling a short side axle from another Ex. will end up with two equal factory axles once the axle housing it shortened 2 7/8". That makes them about 56.5" wide, and perfect for early Falcons!
I buy them at my local pick n pull for $105 on holiday half price days. The extra short axle is $20, and I have a local welder who narrows the tube for $50. $175 for a posi with 3.73 gears. Super stout rear axle. Needs the old Falcon perches welded on to mate to stock springs, but you'll never break the 8.8", and factory 31 spline axles are overkill for strength! I'm running one in my '63 behind the 464 BBC, and 4 speed. Have a spare sitting here also, but may never use it. It's just insurance.

#16,351 ·
Grab an 8.8" out of an Explorer. Will require some reworking to fit, but you can get a '94 or newer and have 4 wheel disc brakes then! The Explorer 8.8" has one long side axle, so pulling a short side axle from another Ex. will end up with two equal factory axles once the axle housing it shortened 2 7/8". That makes them about 56.5" wide, and perfect for early Falcons!
I buy them at my local pick n pull for $105 on holiday half price days. The extra short axle is $20, and I have a local welder who narrows the tube for $50. $175 for a posi with 3.73 gears. Super stout rear axle. Needs the old Falcon perches welded on to mate to stock springs, but you'll never break the 8.8", and factory 31 spline axles are overkill for strength! I'm running one in my '63 behind the 464 BBC, and 4 speed. Have a spare sitting here also, but may never use it. It's just insurance.
What ratios are available with the 8.8? I think all Explorers were OD transmissions.

Will Brian and Nick end up with an acceptable ratio for their non OD transmission for everyday street use?

John

#16,352 ·
Oh yeah, now the old brain remembers, you want all 4 wheels the same..;)

It's kind of unbelievable that it ended up at the pick-a-pull, but it appears to be stripped somewhat. Maybe the owner tried to sell it whole, or even as parts, but it just didn't move...:confused:
I honestly looked like it had been stripped there of all the parts that are missing. I am thinking it was complete outside of the head, that was the only thing off as far as I could tell. I looked it over on the floor boards and trunk, it was absolutely rust free, we are talking hardly even surface rust and certainly no holes.

One of those, but a two door was the very first car I ever touched with bondo. After seeing American Graffiti, I was 14 or 15 and I removed the hood emblems and filled them. :D My brother had it parked in the yard having gotten it out of a farmers field. We never did any more to it and it ended up at this very same wrecking yard! Though it was a different name back then of course, it wasn't a McWrecking yard. :(

Brian

#16,353 ·
But I also found that a 7.5 out of a 90-92 Ranger is a half inch shorter than the stock one. But I will be re-thinking that.

Brian

#16,360 ·
BTW Brian, you should have brought the 'Vette home.....

Say, since I have my Edel AL intake all nice and clean, can someone(s) give me an idea what it would cost to powdercoat? Approx........

Thanks...
That smog vette is right where it belongs...:p

IF you were near civilization, probably around $60-75. Ceramic coating holds up even better but I'm not sure if they can ceramic aluminum :confused: