The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 85 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Thanks, as mentioned, I won't be using their products again.
I even used their recommended wipe. It seems the primer and paint are not compatible.
That is a largely over used term "not compatible". When you have two products, especially 2K products once they are cured the don't "know" one another you know what I mean? You can spray that paint over any 2K product, and it isn't going to a "compatibility" issue.

That is a very popular primer, or at least it was before all the VOC rules came into play. But it was very popular, so was the paint. So something is off here, something was done during application that changed things. Not to say that you screwed up. It could be something that wouldn't have affected any other product you used. But SOMETHING is a miss here.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Not unusually thick.

Paint DCC 4 parts, Reducer DT870 1 part, Hardener DU5 2 parts.

Applied over NCP 271.

Paint seems a little "too" hard.

As I mentioned, last PPG for me and if I want to respray the truck, I'm in for a ton of work. I already stripped it to bare metal the first time.
If the paint comes off with masking tape it should scrape right off with a razor scraper and an air blower 5-6 hrs but there will be little paint chips EVERYWHERE...I do a lot of these and they make a big mess of the shop..
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
Holley cow!!!! I went to put out the dog and my free standing swimming pool exploded sometime during the night its 4ft deep and 25 foot in diameter and right behind the garage!!!! Im afraid to open the garage door LOL! Its fathers day!!! LOL My wife's working today but I know when she gets home she'll find some reason to blame it on me LOL !!!

Happy fathers day guys Chris
I'll bet she popped it so you would have something to do today..They're conciderate like that you know...
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
If the paint comes off with masking tape it should scrape right off with a razor scraper and an air blower 5-6 hrs but there will be little paint chips EVERYWHERE...I do a lot of these and they make a big mess of the shop..

Sounds like a real pain in the butt.

Easier to drive it another ten years and do it after I retire. Hopefully the paint will be loosened up a bit by then.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Spent some time trying to track down the 2000 PPM wire from the ECM.

Couldn't find it hanging under the dash from the original TPI install I did.
Also have a couple other wires that are on the harness I recieved that I have no clue where they go.

This is gonna be fun.....
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Today was fathers day and I did nothing but wait for my kids to get here, then play and talk and kiss my grand daughter a thousand times.

Brian

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u I will update soon
Last photo:

1930u Ė Window Regulators

This was is for me today... spent sometime with the family too.

I didnít want to use power windows and my original regulators are in great shape, so Iím using them. Their dirty and rusty but should clean up fine. Today I worked on the rear window regulator mounting and got everything roughed in pretty well. The original glass is ľĒ thick and I canít believe how heavy the glass is. The Plexiglas Iím using in very light and should be easy on the regulators.

The original glass lift channel was also in really good shape so Iím using it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0398.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	66149   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0400r.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	66150   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0404r.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	66151  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 AM

I was working on my door glass too but I eliminated the vent glass and went with a one piece glass with power regulators.trying to find the proper seals is gonna be fun and all I could use was the guide channels. the rear channel can stay in its original posistion but the front has to be moved forward quite a bit. also removed the latches and installing power latches from an 05 Impala...regulators and motor are from the same car...it dont look like its going to be real easy....
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

47 international

I worked on the vent, defrost and windshield controls. can't find a title so I will scrap this cab and buy a different model. The IH was a free bee so I'm only out my time. not a lot of IH rods out there,now there will be one less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	int6-12 002.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	609.4 KB
ID:	66153  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

You don't need a title, at least not here. You can make one, it isn't a big deal. You mock the truck up and then at the very least you bring it down to the CHP or DMV and they put a number on it. They use to have you call a cop to come by, that was cool because I have a number of cop friends and one of them would just sign the paper when I went by for a visit.

But honestly, I am going to have to do the same thing with my truck, I left it lapse years ago so in the DMV's eyes it doesn't exist. Another way you can do it is to lean sale it. Tow it over to a friends house and have them lean it saying you just left it there. Of course I am not telling anyone to lie, you really do tow it over and leave it there, your friend can then put a lean on it which takes a few months and they will get a title for the truck. My wife is doing one right now for a Toyota her brother left in her mom's driveway a few years ago.

Brian
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
This was is for me today... spent sometime with the family too.

I didnít want to use power windows and my original regulators are in great shape, so Iím using them. Their dirty and rusty but should clean up fine. Today I worked on the rear window regulator mounting and got everything roughed in pretty well. The original glass is ľĒ thick and I canít believe how heavy the glass is. The Plexiglas Iím using in very light and should be easy on the regulators.

The original glass lift channel was also in really good shape so Iím using it too.
I love it, crank all the way for me. I personally don't want the power, it was cute when it was a novelty but now when every single new car made comes with them, and zillions of companies make them for rods, it's just another thing to spend money and time on. I think I am still capible of spinning a crank twice around to get my windows up and down.

I put power windows in my truck years ago, now, I have some NOS regulator repair kits I am using to make them work as new.

Brian
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Quote:
Paint was done about 6 years ago.
Even if they were to give me new paint, I wouldn't have the desire to go about fixing it at this stage.

BTW, is there a lake in the garage?

It came up 2 ft. on the back of the outside garage wall over the cinder block and through the siding , I opened the garage door and it ran out and down the drive ( 3 car garage) I wet vacuumed for 4 hours, and have 3 fans blowing to dry it out!!!! I didnt tell my wife !!! She came home put on her swim suit and went out the back door and saw the pool It was so funny and I could not stop laughing and she just got madder and that made me laugh harder and she got even madder!!!! This morning she called from work and was laughing about it so all is well on the home front LOL

Chris
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
It came up 2 ft. on the back of the outside garage wall over the cinder block and through the siding , I opened the garage door and it ran out and down the drive ( 3 car garage) I wet vacuumed for 4 hours, and have 3 fans blowing to dry it out!!!! I didnt tell my wife !!! She came home put on her swim suit and went out the back door and saw the pool It was so funny and I could not stop laughing and she just got madder and that made me laugh harder and she got even madder!!!! This morning she called from work and was laughing about it so all is well on the home front LOL

Chris

Right on, as long as the garage is OK, that's all that matters.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Spent the day on rumble seat. should finish tomorrow. Cruised over to the Sonic tonight and said hi to the gang.

John L

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Looks like a good time John.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.