Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#17,024 ·
John ,this is you,,what a bargin. scroll to bottom of page for info

Ford Convertible | eBay
That, indeed, would be a great project. I am afraid that my bucket is full right now though:D

John

I did finish welding the X-member in and opened it up for dual exhaust. I hope to talk to a sand blaster tomorrow.

John

Now I have room for some exhaust.

#17,027 ·
My neighbor has a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat that I asked to use. He showed me that it was broken. He wondered if I could "fix" it. I told him to buy a new attachment plate and I would swap everything over in exchange for using it.

Steve is kind of an animal with equipment and when something breaks, he doesn't stop to get it repaired, he keeps on going until the job is done and the equipment is destroyed...:rolleyes:

That hold bracket is supposed to be welded to the pin. I initially thought it had broken the weld from flexing after the bottom plate broke. Not so, that broke first and the pin kept falling out of the top collar and stressed/flexed the bottom plate and caused it to crack. Steve kept hammering the pin back up and finally turned the, now mushroomed, pin upside down so it wouldn't fall out anymore and kept going.

I didn't know this and reinforced the new bottom plate beforehand, thinking it was a weak area. I bought a piece of 3/8 steel to double it and there was enough of the collar above that, so I tripled it. It is now 1" thick and IF the pin stays in, it shouldn't flex or crack again.

After grinding off the factory weld that had very little penetration, I burned it back on. I don't think it will break again.

#17,029 ·
Yes sir, that 3" system should fit nicely thru there now...:D

You should buy that '46 Ford and store it at Davids until you are ready. He probably wouldn't even notice it among the herd...:thumbup:
I would love to have that old Ford for sure.

It occurred to me this afternoon, I may have not left room for my exhaust around my shock absorber mount......time will tell.:drunk:

John

#17,030 ·
My five minutes was getting out to the garage to clean up and put away all my tools that were all over from the Falcon project. Got that done and then jumped on a project I have been wanting to do, finish up the paint work on Steve's "transfer seat." I plan on putting a VERY loud bass boat flake job on it. :D

Brian

Attachments

#17,032 ·
My five minutes was getting out to the garage to clean up and put away all my tools that were all over from the Falcon project. Got that done and then jumped on a project I have been wanting to do, finish up the paint work on Steve's "transfer seat." I plan on putting a VERY loud bass boat flake job on it. :D

Brian
That would be fine but if it is usually going to be used by Steve to get in your car maybe a neutral color would be good for the time it spends in the back seat or trunk?

This would look good under the hood Of the 46 Ford
Would you just quit? Just quit please! Leave me alone. My garage and bucket are full!......... LOLOLOLOLOLOL, :D:D:D

"Over the hill, running out of time, John"

#17,034 ·
That would be fine but if it is usually going to be used by Steve to get in your car maybe a neutral color would be good for the time it spends in the back seat or trunk?

Would you just quit? Just quit please! Leave me alone. My garage and bucket are full!......... LOLOLOLOLOLOL, :D:D:D

"Over the hill, running out of time, John"
It's all about Steve, just the time he sees it, that's all it's about. If nothing else it's like it's his "custom car" kinda thing.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#17,035 ·
That going to be your new forum handle ?? OTH John...

Whatever came of the Jag A/C ? You have to mortgage your house ?
I got a call from the shop yesterday. they sent the heater control module off to be rebuilt and managed to get the estimate down to about a thousand dollars. Sure beats three thousand at the dealer.

I was pretty nervous about it. We are supposed to get the car back next week. I am going to be nervous until then.

OTH

#17,038 ·
Didn't do a lot of work today ,other than loading 7 fans,and I dropped off 4 at the shop,and brought 3 home will mount 2 up high in rear wall and mount the 3rd on wheels so I can move iy around,

Is it possible to get too much junk,,stuff you just can live without ,LOL:thumbup::thumbup:

I have already lost 1 of my parking spots for the truck,,but fans are temporary for a few days until I can get them down to my home shop:rolleyes:

Attachments

#17,039 ·
Didn't do a lot of work today ,other than loading 7 fans,and I dropped off 4 at the shop,and brought 3 home will mount 2 up high in rear wall and mount the 3rd on wheels so I can move iy around,

Is it possible to get too much junk,,stuff you just can live without ,LOL:thumbup::thumbup:

I have already lost 1 of my parking spots for the truck,,but fans are temporary for a few days until I can get them down to my home shop:rolleyes:
Nice yard with lots of cool stuff.

Plug them fans in and it looks like your trailer will take flight. :thumbup:

#17,040 ·
Helped my neighbor put his bench seat back in his El Camino and figure out his new 3 point seat belts.

Then I spent an hour spreading 50 lbs of grub X on the yard to, hopefully, kill the Japanese beetle grubs when they hatch. We had an epidemic of them this year, so this is the most effective way to kill them.

Then I started working on the replacement trunk lid for the 2006 Malibu. The car is from CA but the lid is from good 'ole rust belt MN. The bottom seam had a lot of rust separation, so I dug it out and sand blasted it.

Then I doused it with Eastwood.