Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#17,143 ·
Being 10.5 years old, is it worth the headache of fixing for a small return?
Possibly no, but the harness is about $100, so I thought I'd take the gamble. I spent all morning driving around to different places to look at new mowers. I will not buy a mower from any of the box stores. Been there, done that with the mower prior to the current dead one. I'm cutting around 5 acres, so I need a decent mower, larger than what they carry anyway. I looked at Bad Boy, Gravely, TORO, and Kubota. SCAG's are nice mowers, but out of my price range. The Dixie Chopper shop was closed before I got there this evening. All have their good & bad points. Now I just need to make a decision on which way I want to go... :confused: The Bad Boy is the only one I would have to wait on, as they did not have the 60" mower in stock.

I piddled with the dead one a little bit this evening. Evidently the burned wiring was making the connection to keep the fuel solenoid open after my daughter left it. I saw gas on the muffler while it was in the grass after the burn, so I made absolute sure that the battery was disconnected as soon as I got it to the garage. Today, there was still gas dripping from the muffler, and the crank case was full of gas. I'm hoping that the solenoid on the carb is not damaged. I pulled the muffler off and drained all of the gas out of it, and I drained the crank case. I'll pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders before I try to fire it back up. I am going to try to get the pressure washer on it sometime Sunday or Monday.

Dave

#17,146 ·
Not sure what your budget it is, but I love my heavy duty Kubota. ZD331, 72" deck, 31hp diesel. They make that model with smaller decks too.
Oh yeah, That's DEF a budget buster... Would LOVE to have it, though. I'm trying to stay in the 5-6K range, and I'm hating to spend even that much. What I'm finding though, is that most brands are using the same engines (Kawasaki, B&S, Kohler), and same wheel motors (Hydro Gear). The deck construction and spindles are where the major differences are, besides the paint color. We're stopping on the way out tomorrow to look at Dixie Choppers.

Dave

#17,148 ·
Oh yeah, That's DEF a budget buster... Would LOVE to have it, though. I'm trying to stay in the 5-6K range, and I'm hating to spend even that much. What I'm finding though, is that most brands are using the same engines (Kawasaki, B&S, Kohler), and same wheel motors (Hydro Gear). The deck construction and spindles are where the major differences are, besides the paint color. We're stopping on the way out tomorrow to look at Dixie Choppers.

Dave
I'm a huge Kohler fan too. On one mower I have 1100hrs on it(Cub) and it still runs strong. I'm in the lawn business. I've had multiple mowers with Kolhers and they last. One was used year round. Blowing off side walks in winter.

When I have to replace the Cub, which is 11 years old, I'll go to a zero turn Kubota with a Kohler gas motor for the smaller jobs...

Fab decks are the way to go. Heavy duty. Although, some of the stamped decks use heavy gauge steel too...

Good luck! Let me know what you buy........

#17,149 ·

Dave
Take a look at Swisher if you can. made in USA, old name and I've beaten the crap out of mine for the last several years.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#17,150 ·
I'm a huge Kohler fan too. On one mower I have 1100hrs on it(Cub) and it still runs strong. I'm in the lawn business. I've had multiple mowers with Kolhers and they last. One was used year round. Blowing off side walks in winter.

When I have to replace the Cub, which is 11 years old, I'll go to a zero turn Kubota with a Kohler gas motor for the smaller jobs...

Fab decks are the way to go. Heavy duty. Although, some of the stamped decks use heavy gauge steel too...

Good luck! Let me know what you buy........
My 'dead' Husqvarna has 803 hours on it right now.
They all have their good points. The I think the Bad Boy Maverick is over-all the best I've looked at so far, it's also the most expensive. Heaviest deck, great seat, and it actually has suspension. Essentially 4 wheel independent, with rubber dampers. Very limited travel, but better than rigid. That dealer is also the farthest away. The Gravely is one of the least expensive, and the dealer is almost as far away as the Bad Boy. Their service deal can't be beat. When the factory warranty is expired, they continue to cover all labor for any repairs, I would only pay for parts. They have what I consider 'bankers hours' during the week. The TORO is a really nice mower, but the dealer has 'bankers hours' during the week too. It will be hard for me to get to either of them before they close during the week. Kubota is essentially out, since the only mower in my price range is a 54" deck, and I'm looking for 60". Nice mower, though. The Dixie Chopper shop has short hours during the week, too. I'm seeing a pattern here... I am leaning towards a Kawasaki engine, but the Kohler is a close second.
Dave

#17,151 ·
Tonight I spent my time out in the garage cleaning the Gran Sport up for a local show. I actually stopped and got some Mirror Glaze #7. I was blown away to find that it's not yellow anymore! OMG this blew me away. I have probably applied ten gallons of that stuff in my life, now it's a different color, wild. The car looks pretty good, it's no show car, but damn it looks pretty nice.

I can't wait to get in there tomorrow, it's a neat little town near by with lots of memories for me.

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk
#17,152 ·
My 'dead' Husqvarna has 803 hours on it right now.
They all have their good points. The I think the Bad Boy Maverick is over-all the best I've looked at so far, it's also the most expensive. Heaviest deck, great seat, and it actually has suspension. Essentially 4 wheel independent, with rubber dampers. Very limited travel, but better than rigid. That dealer is also the farthest away. The Gravely is one of the least expensive, and the dealer is almost as far away as the Bad Boy. Their service deal can't be beat. When the factory warranty is expired, they continue to cover all labor for any repairs, I would only pay for parts. They have what I consider 'bankers hours' during the week. The TORO is a really nice mower, but the dealer has 'bankers hours' during the week too. It will be hard for me to get to either of them before they close during the week. Kubota is essentially out, since the only mower in my price range is a 54" deck, and I'm looking for 60". Nice mower, though. The Dixie Chopper shop has short hours during the week, too. I'm seeing a pattern here... I am leaning towards a Kawasaki engine, but the Kohler is a close second.
Dave
Interesting I haven't heard the words, John Deere. Before I bought my Kubota I looked at every manufacturer that carried a commercial line(which was about everyone I looked at, but most weren't truly commercial, they just put that sticker on). Gravely didn't even hold a candle in comparison. Before I started looking I figured I'd be getting a JD. But, Kubota was built the heaviest, best. I believe it's 1800# dry. I don't know anything about a Kawy . I do know you can put a Kohler thru the paces and they will last. I think Kubota has both..... Maybe Kawy is just as good, I just don't know.... Keep us posted.....:thumbup:

#17,153 ·
I got after the rust hole I found after blasting.

Whut brand / size is that spot weld bit?:mwink: I have a bunch of leftover Wurth brand ones from dealership days, in 6, 8, and 10mm. They come in handy occasionally and I was wishing I had a sharp small one for the Datsun. Ended up using the trusty Blair cutter for what little I had to do.

Is that butternut or bamboo? :confused: The old color in the jamb. Looks like Old Nell, a car I had.

I bet it feels good to have a Chevelle with all happy floors now! :thumbup:

So... hows she coming along?:confused:

#17,154 · (Edited)
Whut brand / size is that spot weld bit?:mwink: I have a bunch of leftover Wurth brand ones from dealership days, in 6, 8, and 10mm. They come in handy occasionally and I was wishing I had a sharp small one for the Datsun. Ended up using the trusty Blair cutter for what little I had to do.

Is that butternut or bamboo? :confused: The old color in the jamb. Looks like Old Nell, a car I had.

I bet it feels good to have a Chevelle with all happy floors now! :thumbup:

So... hows she coming along?:confused:

Is that butternut or bamboo? The old color in the jamb. Looks like Old Nell, a car I had.

It is Lemonwood for 66 ,,Butternut started in 67.

Attachments

#17,155 ·
That bit is 1/2". I like to use a bit slightly larger than the weld. If I'm careful, I can cut down to the substrate panel and not leave an edge that I still have to sever with the Steck knife. I bought a set of 4 sizes of bits in a case that I "thought" were lifetime guaranteed to stay sharp, but I can't find a receipt for them or a sticker on the case to contact. All but 1 are rather dull now. Maybe I got cheap, er frugal, and bought them from Eastwood or Auto Body Toolmart without the warranty.. :confused:

Yep, the original color was Lemonwood. It won't go back to that...:rolleyes:

I thought I had a happy floor until I found the latest rust thru. I don't see anymore problem areas, but there is still small specks of rust in pits. I will be dusting them with converter and cleaning off what isn't needed. Then I will go over the entire floor with w&g and shop towels. I did a fair section of that yesterday and I guess it won't be as bad or time consuming as I had dreaded. I also read I need to top coat the primer/sealer within 3 days to avoid needing to scuff, so I will have to get whatever paint I want here before I start any of that.

As a side note, it appears we sold the family cabin. There are a couple contingencies that "shouldn't" be a problem. Once the contingencies have been satisfied, they have about 2 weeks to do that, I will feel confidant that I will eventually have the funding to take this car all the way and may have it painted this year too. If it goes thru, the closing is Oct. 15th. and I wouldn't want to wait until then for paint, so may use other collateral for a short term loan and have it painted during warmer weather. It would be really nice to have 1 of the herd "done".

#17,156 ·
That bit is 1/2". I like to use a bit slightly larger than the weld. If I'm careful, I can cut down to the substrate panel and not leave an edge that I still have to sever with the Steck knife. I bought a set of 4 sizes of bits in a case that I "thought" were lifetime guaranteed to stay sharp, but I can't find a receipt for them or a sticker on the case to contact. All but 1 are rather dull now. Maybe I got cheap, er frugal, and bought them from Eastwood or Auto Body Toolmart without the warranty.. :confused:

Yep, the original color was Lemonwood. It won't go back to that...:rolleyes:

I thought I had a happy floor until I found the latest rust thru. I don't see anymore problem areas, but there is still small specks of rust in pits. I will be dusting them with converter and cleaning off what isn't needed. Then I will go over the entire floor with w&g and shop towels. I did a fair section of that yesterday and I guess it won't be as bad or time consuming as I had dreaded. I also read I need to top coat the primer/sealer within 3 days to avoid needing to scuff, so I will have to get whatever paint I want here before I start any of that.

As a side note, it appears we sold the family cabin. There are a couple contingencies that "shouldn't" be a problem. Once the contingencies have been satisfied, they have about 2 weeks to do that, I will feel confidant that I will eventually have the funding to take this car all the way and may have it painted this year too. If it goes thru, the closing is Oct. 15th. and I wouldn't want to wait until then for paint, so may use other collateral for a short term loan and have it painted during warmer weather. It would be really nice to have 1 of the herd "done".
I like the original color, because it is different! But I know most people go for a color that was classic to the car!

Just curious... What color would you choose? :)

#17,158 ·
Here is the seat after the last coat of clear, pretty damn cool! One problem, a big problem, I mentioned to Steve today that I would take him to the Goodguys in the Gran Sport this next week (and would surprise him with the seat paint) and I was knocked out when he told me he can't get into the manual chair! He has gained weight and can't fit in it. I can't believe this, I will be contacting him later today and see how big a chair does he need and go to finding one for him and I'll buy it. I can't believe we can't do this again, DAMN.

Guys, every day is precious, don't sweat the small stuff.

Brian

Attachments

#17,160 ·
I like the original color, because it is different! But I know most people go for a color that was classic to the car!

Just curious... What color would you choose? :)
It'll be an original '66 only color...Aztec Bronze. I like yellow but not a pale color on a muscle car. It just doesn't seem masculine enough...:confused:

With a black top helps, but I'm not going to add that to this car.