The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 88 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,047 Posts
Here are the ones I found that are really nice in these early doors.

Forget those "Streetrod" Bear claws, these are the ones you want!

Funny thing is, I bought them for my truck. But now the theme is going to be nothing on it newer than 1955 so those latches are out. I have NOS original ones for it.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Lynn Yearwood should be proud of me too.

John L
Gosh darn you do some nice work John. Man, I don't even want to show you the interior of my Rambler. I could do a better job with my eyes closed and after two six packs, wow is it bad. But, I just drive it and don't sweat it. But you know what, I may just be re-doing it some day now that I am an upholsterer being I own a staple gun and all.

Brian
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

the theme for this is all the modern conveniences all parts from other cars nothing bought new (with the exception of the air bags) and the ladder bars..but I started out with all camero rear suspension...I cant stand leaning over to unroll a window or to lock the door so power windows and locks are a must have and I dont even think a bear claw comes with electric locks..Also when I had to buy the left latch it cost me a whopping 10.00 (lunch) but I could have had it for 5.00 if I wanted to pull it myself...I just called them up and left ,it was on the counter when I got there....cant do that with a bear claw either....and these Impala latches are every bit as good or better than the over rated,over priced,manual latches bear claw sells...I havent bought anything from Jeggs or ANY of the other hotrodparts, ripoff companies either.
I'm building this car as sort of a slap in thier face but not quite a rat rod slap but one that'll turn your head, and also to show what can be done and done well with good OEM salvage yard parts.
I know a lot of people dont get it and love to brag about how much they got in thier car but it all sounds so foolish to me I'm gonna brag about how little I have in mine...You wouldnt believe if I did tell you...Now,where was I ??? LOL
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Oh yeah ,the striker plate...the old latch had a gear looking thing that took up a lot of room so the striker plate has 3/4" indentation in the pillar...With the new latch it needed to be flush so I cut that all out and made a new piece...I have some pretty tight gaps in this car 1/8" ,much tighter than an Impala so the striker was hitting the door and needed to be sunk into the pillar 1/4" I adjusted it and closed the door ....nice and smooth...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8171.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	66229   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8181.jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	66230   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8184.jpg
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	66231   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8185.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	66232  
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM

I fastened the inner door and marked where the cut needed to be to allow the rods to come through so I could mount the latch handle.and I'm done with this until I mount the power regulator (thats next)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8186.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	991.1 KB
ID:	66233   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8188.jpg
Size:	983.0 KB
ID:	66234   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8190.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1,008.5 KB
ID:	66235  
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

John, that rumble seat looks great.

I don't know who you were talking about , but I'm proud of you.
Nice job.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,108 Posts
Woops, I was asking what you were going to use for latches at the same time you were posting it. You are right on about the salvage yard parts Mike. That is the way you had to do it in the old days. There were no after market parts to speak of. The problem is the old school parts are getting to be collector car stuff and most salvage yards want to charge 50% of what a part would sell for new. Now days it is easier to buy a complete 4 door late model as a parts car than it is to try and buy everything you need at a salvage yard. I used to have some friends in the business but they are gone. Either passed on or decided it was easier to crush 'em than to part 'em. Anyway, I look forward to your progress reports. You and I have the same mind set.

Thanks for the kind words on the upholstery Brian. Your rambler is just fine. I wouldn't change a thing. Can't wait to see that top coming together on the Buick though. I check your post every day in the interior thread to keep up with your progress.

Today was my wife's birthday. I didn't work on much but we did take a joy ride in the roadster tonight for an hour or so. Nothing like a great sunset in a convertible. I hope she enjoyed it as much as I did.

John L.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
John, that rumble seat looks great.

I don't know who you were talking about , but I'm proud of you.
Nice job.
Thanks for the kind words Pugsy. You must have missed my post about the Lynn Yearwood theory of street rod fabrication. Post 1289

John L
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I fastened the inner door and marked where the cut needed to be to allow the rods to come through so I could mount the latch handle.and I'm done with this until I mount the power regulator (thats next)

I love the cut thru the bolt hole idea. What an easy way to work on the door with or without the panel in place.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Pugsy. You must have missed my post about the Lynn Yearwood theory of street rod fabrication. Post 1289

John L

I knew I recognized the name, I did read it. Doesn't take me long to forget though.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Well I am officially in the upholsterer club. I am just the new kid and hope there isn't any hazing!

But tonight I installed the top pads and it went as smooth as can be. I am going to do this by golly.

Brian

Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Lynn Yearwood should be proud of me too.

John L

Geeze John,You underestimate yourself ,that looks fantastic..
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
I love the cut thru the bolt hole idea. What an easy way to work on the door with or without the panel in place.
Yeah Puggs that panel is tough enough to work with ,anything at all to make it easier is a blessing...When you think of it every time it falls your feet (toes) are right under it...
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
the theme for this is all the modern conveniences all parts from other cars nothing bought new (with the exception of the air bags) and the ladder bars..but I started out with all camero rear suspension...I cant stand leaning over to unroll a window or to lock the door so power windows and locks are a must have and I dont even think a bear claw comes with electric locks..Also when I had to buy the left latch it cost me a whopping 10.00 (lunch) but I could have had it for 5.00 if I wanted to pull it myself...I just called them up and left ,it was on the counter when I got there....cant do that with a bear claw either....and these Impala latches are every bit as good or better than the over rated,over priced,manual latches bear claw sells...I havent bought anything from Jeggs or ANY of the other hotrodparts, ripoff companies either.
I'm building this car as sort of a slap in thier face but not quite a rat rod slap but one that'll turn your head, and also to show what can be done and done well with good OEM salvage yard parts.
I know a lot of people dont get it and love to brag about how much they got in thier car but it all sounds so foolish to me I'm gonna brag about how little I have in mine...You wouldnt believe if I did tell you...Now,where was I ??? LOL
I know one thing, honestly, the wrecking yards are FULL of stuff guys could be using instead of going to the rod catalogs! And I know those latches are MILES better than the poorly designed ones I am going to use on my truck NOS or not, the ones you are using are a thousand times better. I applaud you for using those parts and MAKING it work with your skills instead of buying some off the shelf part. As far as all the conveniences, we all have our own expectations and I can surely see why you want them especially when you can save money doing it. I personally like the old ways in these old cars because I work with late model cars with miles of wires and switches and computers, etc. I love the old stuff that are simple, because I am simple. But I sure can see the draw, especially when the wrecking yards are full of the stuff just waiting to grab.

Brian
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Geeze John,You underestimate yourself ,that looks fantastic..
Oh heck yeah it's fantastic! You know what's funny there is a big-shot upholster in the area who would have his name on many cars at the Grand Nationals when I was a regular there. In the back of my head I have to be honest with myself that a Model A I did that won best in class got an edge over the VERY nice competition due to the name on the show sign for the upholstery.

I am sorry, that guys work isn't one bit better if anything it isn't as good as the work you are doing John, that seat looks absolutely beautiful.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.