Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#17,701 ·
just can't beat Harbor Freight for some things.

$50 for creeper and roll around seat.

was a clog in the kids' bathroom toilet. Looks like my 2 year old flushed a pair of mini scissors and a toy wooden banana. Snake didn't work. Had to take the toilet off to fetch the toys and put in a new wax gasket. Also put in a new toilet seat. Voila...restored crapper. I got first dibs...I mean first dump!

#17,702 ·
I didn't have a clutch fork when I threw the engine/trans in the Chevelle chassis. I got one Friday and went to install it Saturday. The bellhousing I had was an used original 621 from a friends car. I had to remove the bell from the block to install the fork and decided to clean up the bell more, since it was used and a little dirty. I found a crack near the top right at the block....crap...now what ??? I have a high torque bb and plan to run it on the drag strip at least a few times. What a disappointment to discover the cost of aftermarket steel bellhousings...:eek: I ordered the Lakewood direct replacement steel bell for next week.

#17,703 ·
The good news is that I still have a place to come back too and work on my truck project after Hurricane Matthew blew by the Georgia coast. Right now, we aren't sure when we will be able to get back to the island. So we will continue to hang out in the motorhome until the all clear is given.

After I get back, I have to call Moser Engineering and Summit Racing to make sure we are on the same page on the custom axles for the truck.
hope all is well when you get home :thumbup:

#17,704 ·
Got the 5th wheel ready for this Saturday and heading down south where my tootsies will stay warm in the sand.

Drained the water and cleaner out of the Coupe and replacing with coolant. We've already had below freezing temps. Took it for a ride.

Now I'm going to crank up the grill and cook up some venny brats. Its 46deg......... And dark.....

#17,705 ·
Got the 5th wheel ready for this Saturday and heading down south where my tootsies will stay warm in the sand.

Drained the water and cleaner out of the Coupe and replacing with coolant. We've already had below freezing temps. Took it for a ride.

Now I'm going to crank up the grill and cook up some venny brats. Its 46deg......... And dark.....
Venny brats, translation please?:)

Later gator
Russ

#17,711 ·
more spending on tools. My wife might be a little mad but if they paid me more because I have all my own tools that means I better buy whatever tool I borrowed and on that next check.

this mini puller rocks cause if you need it any bigger you just cut a hole in the hand grip and just put a rod or big pry bar in there as a cheater bar. The QTR puller 2 is just a must have.

Wind instrument

Red Orange Pink Metal Fashion accessory

I better go secure another order for a metal board before my wife gets pissed. :D

Can't wait to work with my new seat and creeper tomorrow!

#17,712 ·

Hope you are not headed towards the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. Matthew has made a mess of everything and it will be a while for things to get back to normal.

#17,713 ·
Hope you are not headed towards the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. Matthew has made a mess of everything and it will be a while for things to get back to normal.
No, we'll be heading to the Gulf Shores area of Alabama.......

I'm sure they'll be spending time out east cleaning up. I have a bud out there in North Carolina. Out on the coast...

#17,714 ·
Shine...we evacuated to a friend's place in northern Georgia. A friend who was able to sneak back onto the island sent us a couple of pictures of the house. We only appear to have two trees down. Unfortunately one is leaning on the house. I am sure that the house will have at a minimum damage to roof eaves but I won't know for sure until I can check it out in person. Right now they are saying that it would be better to wait another day or two until all of the roads are clear and the gas leaks are fixed. Bob

#17,717 ·
Shine...we evacuated to a friend's place in northern Georgia. A friend who was able to sneak back onto the island sent us a couple of pictures of the house. We only appear to have two trees down. Unfortunately one is leaning on the house. I am sure that the house will have at a minimum damage to roof eaves but I won't know for sure until I can check it out in person. Right now they are saying that it would be better to wait another day or two until all of the roads are clear and the gas leaks are fixed. Bob
glad things are good. we lost a house and shop in a flood. not any fun cleaning up that mess. i did learn to take a hose in right off. it's all wet anyway so i rinsed all the mud out.

#17,718 ·
Having to wait another day or two would be torture for me. I would want to evaluate the house damage and do anything I could to minimize more if it leaks. I suppose the amount of rain that accompanied the wind already did any damage it's going to but, DANG, I would want to be there now.