Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#18,142 ·
That's all stuff all shops should supply along with sandpaper, grinding discs, rolocs etc...anything it takes to get the job done the Tec supplies the hand tools.
What I want to know is, how the heck a belt sander replaces spot weld cutters and drills.:confused:
I never said it would replace the idea of cutting perfect circles around welds when you know you're gonna reweld it back in. I'm saying blair rotabroach spot cutter bits that you put on drills coupled with the mini belt sander, there's no need for me to have a spot cutter drill anymore. My air drill has variable speed, the blair spot cutting bits last a long time, and they work especially good on HSS. The spot cutter drills for the most part do not have variable trigger and you are cutting thru HSS not around it. You do a radiator support with a new bit and you have to use a bunch of cutting oil making a mess of things cause it spins so darn fast. With my IR variable speed drill I can make one rotabroach bit last 3-4x longer with no cutting oil by cutting at reasonable speeds. Each bit costs around $7. A spot cutter bit costs $23. Sure, they work great when the bit is new but I always need a bit. Not a problem to get the bits though. We can charge a bit to every job where there's spot welds that need to be addressed.

#18,143 · (Edited)
Oh, I thought this was for his home shop. I forgot Henry is always posting only stuff he does at work.
My mistake.

As for spots, just grind right thru the sheet as you're usually chucking the piece that you're cutting thru.
that's where the belt sander is great. No sparks and it won't discolor the metal turning it blue. I just saw how cleanly a coworker did that and prepped a panel for the spot welder with the fabric belt. A painter's dream to have each weld zone prepped with only a tiny cleanly sanded rectangle. It's just a tidy and clean way to do things. I just had to have one I guess. ahahha

#18,144 ·
Time to buy some rockers for that porch! Lookin really homey.

John
Man that's beautiful! I wish I had a nice porch, I have next to nothing. Thought about adding one when we re-roofed and I did add a roof over what I have. But not as big as I should have.

Brian

#18,145 ·
Man that's beautiful! I wish I had a nice porch, I have next to nothing. Thought about adding one when we re-roofed and I did add a roof over what I have. But not as big as I should have.

Brian
Thanks.

I would also like a nice porch to sit on.
If you look at the first pic, you'll notice that I live on one of the busiest streets in town. It was just widened to 3 lanes and I'm sure the 4th lane will be coming soon putting the street about 30' from my porch. Too noisy to sit out there.

The whole thing is to just make the house appear more heritage. :(

#18,146 ·
that's where the belt sander is great. No sparks and it won't discolor the metal turning it blue. I just saw how cleanly a coworker did that and prepped a panel for the spot welder with the fabric belt. A painter's dream to have each weld zone prepped with only a tiny cleanly sanded rectangle. It's just a tidy and clean way to do things. I just had to have one I guess. ahahha
Show me how you use the belt sander Tec. I may want one too.

#18,147 ·
123Pugsy,

That is one beautiful home you are building. I love the way you are making sure everything is done right. It really shows your passion and dedication to what your doing.

On another Note you said a year away from moving in? I thought you were coming down the home stretch..:cool:

#18,148 ·
123Pugsy,

That is one beautiful home you are building. I love the way you are making sure everything is done right. It really shows your passion and dedication to what your doing.

On another Note you said a year away from moving in? I thought you were coming down the home stretch..:cool:
Thanks.

2 months to moving in and then another year to go after that.

#18,149 ·
Maybe less Puggs. From what I hear theres going to be a lot of American help moving to Canada, All democrats though, you might not be able to get much work out of them, but at least they can tell you what it is your doing wrong and how it should be done. and when that don't work they can show you how to blame everyone else when it things don't go right.

#18,151 ·
Sorry for your bad luck Pugs. But I don't need or want them. Maybe you can give them a handout. :D
They can hit the streets downtown with the rest of the bums.

Now if you have any illegal Mexicans, I could use a couple of them. I know they will work hard at least. :thumbup:

There are none hanging around out in the HD parking lot for hire up here.

#18,152 ·
Show me how you use the belt sander Tec. I may want one too.
it's kind of like how you would with a cutt off wheel, moving it back and forth, but since it's a belt it's subtle and more thorough. It cuts thru welds really well. Then you change belts to the fabric type prep belts for spot welds or before you plug weld. They're really nice.

I also decided to stick with the spot cutter drill for works. When there's a welding job I can go to the front and ask for a bit and give them the RO number. For home use/side jobs, I wouldn't use it though. The bits are just too pricey.

#18,156 ·
I worked on Christmas shopping for my '54 210.. :D
I called an add in the MSRA Linechaser about a 1957 Chev posi axle. It has been heavily modified for use in a 1933 Ford. The owner said he "thought " it had 4.10 gears. I also bought a 1956 axle housing with non-posi center section, hoping for a better gear ratio. He had a 3rd center section only with 3.36 gears that I was thinking of buying but wanted to see what I had in the other 2 first.
I pulled the non-posi first and it is 3.08 ratio. Not really what I was hoping for, and I was going to call the guy and tell him I would buy the 3.36 section. I then decided to see what was actually in the posi, so I pulled that and it has 3.36 gears !!! I have no idea how he thought they were 4.10, but I'm happy with 3.36. I now have an open drive axle for the '54. I'll look for an S10 5 speed over the winter, cheap, and have this on the road next summer..:cool:

#18,157 ·
I worked on Christmas shopping for my '54 210.. :D
I called an add in the MSRA Linechaser about a 1957 Chev posi axle. It has been heavily modified for use in a 1933 Ford. The owner said he "thought " it had 4.10 gears. I also bought a 1956 axle housing with non-posi center section, hoping for a better gear ratio. He had a 3rd center section only with 3.36 gears that I was thinking of buying but wanted to see what I had in the other 2 first.
I pulled the non-posi first and it is 3.08 ratio. Not really what I was hoping for, and I was going to call the guy and tell him I would buy the 3.36 section. I then decided to see what was actually in the posi, so I pulled that and it has 3.36 gears !!! I have no idea how he thought they were 4.10, but I'm happy with 3.36. I now have an open drive axle for the '54. I'll look for an S10 5 speed over the winter, cheap, and have this on the road next summer..:cool:

I think that will be a good choice. I have a 3:25 behind my S-10 5 speed in the roadster and like it real well. Last weekend I bought a 3:00 9 inch chunk to go in the lincoln rear for my '53. since I have a Muncie 4 speed for it.

I had a 2:76 in the '47 and liked it real well but we did a lot of interstate driving with it.

John

#18,159 ·
I think that will be a good choice. I have a 3:25 behind my S-10 5 speed in the roadster and like it real well. Last weekend I bought a 3:00 9 inch chunk to go in the lincoln rear for my '53. since I have a Muncie 4 speed for it.

I had a 2:76 in the '47 and liked it real well but we did a lot of interstate driving with it.

John
Is your Muncie an M20 with 2.52 first gear ? An M21 with 2.20 first will need slippage to get started with a 3.0

#18,160 ·
I think that will be a good choice. I have a 3:25 behind my S-10 5 speed in the roadster and like it real well.
John
John, what year S10 5 speed do I need to bolt up to a traditional bellhousing ?? All I keep coming up with are integral bells using hydraulic release bearings. Not sure I want to go that route, but it may be easier to convert from the auto ?