The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 91 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Congratulation Pugs. I know you are glad to have it going.

Well, I decided to install the radiator shrouding that goes between the radiator and the grill. It prevents air from going around or under the radiator and funnels it through the radiator at highway speeds. Turns out all I have to do is remove the hood and the radiator to install it.... Not in this lifetime.......

I reconfigured it so I could install the 2 side pieces and installed 1/4 inch steel nutserts so I could then install the bottom piece.

Here is the way old Henry built it.

And here is the new and improved version

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Very nice, now you can go get my photo challenge.

Brian
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks John.

Nice mod on the rad shroud. I always split the two halves on my pick ups and use bolts to keep them together.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long

Mike, what did you decide about the skirts? I think I would like them but I like tail draggers in general. Several of my friends have tried to get me to raise the rear of the 36 back up but I like it down. I have had a set of steel skirts on the shelf for years but never ran them.

John L
I put the idea on a shelf for now. I'm trying to concentrate on the things that HAVE to be done to drive it legal, for now.As soon as the LF rear fender is done I'll be on the nose again .I'm using 66 VW headlights and a lot of modifications.Heres the mock up of the changes being made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7445.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	66373  
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I put the idea on a shelf for now. I'm trying to concentrate on the things that HAVE to be done to drive it legal, for now.As soon as the LF rear fender is done I'll be on the nose again .I'm using 66 VW headlights and a lot of modifications.Heres the mock up of the changes being made.
I would not have thought or re-contouring the front fenders that way. that is something else I can't wait to see how it turns out. Pretty cool.

Someone will beat me to it Brian but I have been trying to get "that picture".

John L
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent the day modifying the spring perches on my gasser to make them acceot different U bolts. The Speedway axles come with a square U bolt that bolts the weld on perch to the spring. I wanted U bolts that sandwich the axle, perch, and springs with a spring plate on top. Just seemed much stronger to my thinking.
Problem was the mounting holes were under the axle, so I had to elongate them about 1/4" to get the new U bolts in. Took a couple hours of grinding on the 8 holes to get the U bolt to fit, but it inally went in.

Then after arguing with a guy the other day about what kind of car it was, I had the sign guy add something to the trunk lid. Amazing that someone would argue with the car's owner about what kind of car it was? But he wasn't the first to think it was an Anglia!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 AM
boatbob2

Hi All.......

Lets see,today,i installed a new AC compressor and a new alternator,and new belt in my 6.5 diesel coach,then had the AC charged,works new (duh) getting ready for our summer vacation from Morriston,Fla to Nampa Idaho,going to be gone about a month..
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2 View Post
Lets see,today,i installed a new AC compressor and a new alternator,and new belt in my 6.5 diesel coach,then had the AC charged,works new (duh) getting ready for our summer vacation from Morriston,Fla to Nampa Idaho,going to be gone about a month..
Be safe Bob ,the roads are getting crazy out there...
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I have a Rock Valley Stainless Tank in my Car, and I thought I had foresight when it was made to put in their "TPI option" which essentially allows you to use an in-Tank Fuel Pump-ha! (what an idiot!)

Little did I consider that Hilborn would give me a Weldon in-line Pump, so I had Rock Valley make me an insert that would give me a return to tank for the Fuel-anyway, when I got the insert, I went to put it in the Tank, and realized that there was a well in the Tank with a baffle that looks like two "C" 's face to face (one bigger than the other) that make a well and control Fuel slosh (and, of course they put regular Baffles in the Tank too)-

When I realized that, I figured a way to modify the insert so that it would compartmentalize the return from the suction side, so that it doesn't cavitate the Pump-anyway I've got to get some 14 Gauge Stainless and mesh to complete my evil plan-

After that, I made an Aluminum plate to mount the Pump and Filter, then went to work and got some Round Baler belting to rubber mount it-by the time I got it mounted and everything it took most of the day, and now I'm polishing an Aluminum plate that nobody will ever see-see what I mean? What an Idiot!

On the upside, Hilborn finally sent me the rest of my order (mostly Holley EFI stuff, but I finally got both sets of Stacks!)-just looking at the stuff gives me a woody -

My engine builder finally got the AFR 315 Heads back from the polisher on Friday (said they look fantastic), so I think we finally have everything, and I have taken off the 18-20th of July to go watch it Dyno (with a Dominator/Victor). After that, we will fit the Hilborn, and the DIS, and get it Home (which is about 600 Miles)-I hope to video the Dyno session, and I will Post that (if it turns out) and the Dyno sheets when I get them-
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Glad to see you getting something done guys, I am waiting for my top to come and have just been lazy, yesterday was the laziest Saturday I believe I have ever had outside of being ill. I did get a good game of catch in with my daughter though. Today, another lazy one, I am off to the Giants game with her. We will be in the bleachers so last night we had to practice catching Giants home run balls.

Brian
Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Then after arguing with a guy the other day about what kind of car it was, I had the sign guy add something to the trunk lid. Amazing that someone would argue with the car's owner about what kind of car it was? But he wasn't the first to think it was an Anglia!
Many of us have had this happen, hell I heard George Barris telling Stan Betts referring to my brothers 22 Buick Roadster as "It's just a T coupe with the roof cut off". LOLOL

And my truck, oh my God when I first started driving my 48 Chevy pickup to rod runs that were pre-49 oh God they would not let me in! I am not kidding you because they knew of a 50 Chevy truck their uncle had they thought that ALL of those trucks were 50 I guess.

But it goes the other way too. My brother just the other day at a show told a fellow that his 38 Deluxe was actually a 39 Standard (it really was, my brother has owned a 39 Standard and knows all too well the difference) the guy said no, it's a 38 Deluxe and my brother didn't know what he was talking about. Ok, he left him thinking he had a 38 Deluxe. My brother tried to explain the difference but the dude didn't want any part of it.

Don't sweat it, it's good conversation. Find out some history on the two (if you don't know it, you probably do) and some differences in how they look and educate the person. If we just say "No you are wrong" they walk away thinking they are right. If you say "The Thames and the Anglia were made in the same factory along with the Perfect, they are very similar but xxx and yyy is different". Maybe just maybe they would walk away educated instead of trying to educate. You could put THAMES on the side and NOT AN ANGLIA in foot high letters and there are still people who wouldn't get it.

Brian
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
someone would argue with the car's owner about what kind of car it was?
Not a car but a motor in my situation. My 73 Chevy C-10 has a 454 I snagged out of a 95 Winnebago. All I did was clean her up, eliminate the TBI by adding a Holley, intake and a pair of sweet GM Performance valve covers. A guy at a cruise-in argued with me saying the motor was a 572, "I know my big blocks" he says. He goes on to say I have no idea what I have. A friend of mine was standing close by and used every once of restraint to keep from laughing. The next Saturday the same friend brings me a decal that says, "572 Clone" for my fan shroud. We still laugh about that incident.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

The new paint see's the light of day.... pulled my shop truck project of the shop to change the oil on my daily driver. If the insane heat ever lets up I can do the color sanding... not likely anytime soon....

Last edited by lakeroadster; 07-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Looks great, I dig those trucks.

Brian
Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I did get my front radiator cowling installed as well as a 1/2 inch phenolic spacer under the carb. Not earth shattering but drove it in 102 degree heat for about 20 miles and it was 180 degrees when I shut it off. Who says you can't cool a flathead?

Happy Camper

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.