The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 92 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I got back on track with the car with the delivery of my new top! WOO HOO! It's beautiful and it will make this project much easier. I was going to have to overcome a bunch of funk to make that old top work.

Anyway, tonight I got the header taped up and the new top laid out to see how nice it is. I am excited now!

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

Well I got back on track with the car with the delivery of my new top! WOO HOO! It's beautiful and it will make this project much easier. I was going to have to overcome a bunch of funk to make that old top work.

Anyway, tonight I got the header taped up and the new top laid out to see how nice it is. I am excited now!

Brian

Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Top is looking good. The wall art isn't bad either!

John L
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

That is looking great, Brian-I love Convertibles, and that is going to be one very, very nice Buick-
The Following User Says Thank You to 35WINDOW For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Don't sweat it, it's good conversation. Find out some history on the two (if you don't know it, you probably do) and some differences in how they look and educate the person. If we just say "No you are wrong" they walk away thinking they are right. If you say "The Thames and the Anglia were made in the same factory along with the Perfect, they are very similar but xxx and yyy is different". Maybe just maybe they would walk away educated instead of trying to educate. You could put THAMES on the side and NOT AN ANGLIA in foot high letters and there are still people who wouldn't get it.

Brian
Uhh....not sure I want to put "Thames" or "Prefect" on my Austin either! If it was a case of a Thames or a Prefect being called an Anglia I'd understand, but an Austin was a completely different company, and around long before Ford ever thought of making Anglias in England. Austin started in 1903, and I'm pretty sure the english Fords just copied what they saw Austin building from the looks of both designs.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Uhh....not sure I want to put "Thames" or "Prefect" on my Austin either! If it was a case of a Thames or a Prefect being called an Anglia I'd understand, but an Austin was a completely different company, and around long before Ford ever thought of making Anglias in England. Austin started in 1903, and I'm pretty sure the english Fords just copied what they saw Austin building from the looks of both designs.
Sorry, LOL, goes to show you want people know about your car! LOLOL, But just a little explanation like that about your Austin may help them to understand and accept the facts.

Brian
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Top is looking good. The wall art isn't bad either!

John L
John, every single thing on those walls has some connection with me, some history. It's my man-cave, it's what matters most to me. Even though my wife bless her heart lets me get away with murder on the walls inside the house too. I had a big poster of a group of B-25s and a bunch of prints of war birds on the walls of the living room when she met me and they stayed there for years after we married.

But honestly, this is our life, today, not tomorrow, today. So I don't keep memories on boxes, I hang them up so I can see them and reminisce. And I often will, before turning off the lights I will look around and relive a few things.

Brian
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Well said Brian, I have not mentioned it before but my better half is at 19 of 33 radiation treatments for breast cancer. We just never know about tomorrow. We absolutely have to cherish today and consider a true gift from God. I am so thankful that we have had such a good life.

John L

By the way. Barb's prognosis is excellent. Lymph nodes and tissue around the tumor were all clear so if you have to have bad news, ours was as good as it can be.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Well said Brian, I have not mentioned it before but my better half is at 19 of 33 radiation treatments for breast cancer. We just never know about tomorrow. We absolutely have to cherish today and consider a true gift from God. I am so thankful that we have had such a good life.

John L

By the way. Barb's prognosis is excellent. Lymph nodes and tissue around the tumor were all clear so if you have to have bad news, ours was as good as it can be.
God bless you both, you must get awful strong dealing with something like that because in my present state I would collapse, I can't imagine facing something like that. God bless you and prayers are heading towards you both.

Brian
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Sorry, LOL, goes to show you want people know about your car! LOLOL, But just a little explanation like that about your Austin may help them to understand and accept the facts.

Brian
here's a little history on the Anglias
Anglia History

and the austin
http://www.austinmemories.com/page25/page25.html

I had NO IDEA the Nash Metro was made by Austin

Last edited by Bad Rat; 07-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Rat For This Useful Post:
1971BB427 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
God bless you both, you must get awful strong dealing with something like that because in my present state I would collapse, I can't imagine facing something like that. God bless you and prayers are heading towards you both.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Never turn down a prayer but we are good. There are people who are in a whole lot worse shape than we are. As far as we know she is cancer free and this is just added insurance to make sure there are no loose cells lurking.

You guys are in trouble now though. ATT just left. Fixed my DSL line. Boy can I download some pictures now.

John L
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
Anglia History

and the austin
History of the Austin

Thanks for the link to history on both Austin and English Fords Bill!
Very thorough, but I'm surprised that the author overlooked one major item in Austin's history. Austin of England sent engineers and equipment to Japan to help build Austins there.
Here's a thread from Nissan's history:
"Austin Motor CompanyIn early 1950s, Nissan partnered with an established European company to gain access to up-to-date automobile and engine designs. Nissan chose Austin of the United Kingdom, which later became the British Motor Corporation by its merger with Morris et al. Nissan began building Austin 7s in 1930, though the legitimacy of their license at that time is debated. After the success of Nissan, Hino and Isuzu followed to partner with Renault and Hillman respectively.[12]

In 1952 Nissan Motor Company of Japan entered into a legal agreement with Austin,[13] for Nissan to assemble 2,000 Austins from imported partially assembled sets and sell them in Japan under the Austin trademark. The agreement called for Nissan to make all Austin parts locally within three years, a goal Nissan met. Nissan produced and marketed Austins for seven years. The agreement also gave Nissan rights to use Austin patents, which Nissan used in developing its own engines for its Datsun line of cars. In 1953 British-built Austins were assembled and sold, but by 1955, the Austin A50 – completely built by Nissan and featuring a slightly larger body with new 1489 cc engine—was on the market in Japan. Nissan produced 20,855 Austins from 1953–1959.[14]

Nissan leveraged the Austin patents to further develop their own modern engine designs past what the Austin's A- and B-family designs offered. The apex of the Austin-derived engines was the new design A series engine in 1967. Also in 1967 Nissan introduced its new highly advanced four cylinder overhead cam (OHC) Nissan L engine, which while similar to Mercedes-Benz OHC designs was a totally new engine designed by Nissan. This engine powered the new Datsun 510, which gained Nissan respect in the worldwide sedan market. Then, in 1969 Nissan introduced the Datsun 240Z sports car which used a six-cylinder variation of the L series engine. The 240Z was an immediate sensation and lifted Nissan to world class status in the automobile market.[citation needed]"

Last edited by 1971BB427; 07-03-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
Anglia History

and the austin
History of the Austin

Thanks, very cool I'll go thru it tonight. But just on a glance I saw the Model Y Ford. I have an old boss with one, a very rare Cabriolet or Roadster I forget, but VERY rare.

Brian
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Well my time in the garage was on the trim stick and trial fitting and checking it on the rear curtain to see how it will work. Everything looks good I will be jumping on it this weekend I am thinking.

I did get out my American Graffiti album and spun it on my turn table while I was working on it, damn that's a great album.

Brian
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Whats an album ?????

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Come On Man! | - »