Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#19,641 ·
Trike sounds like a good idea, Brian. Leftovers make fine meals ;)

Nice shot on the column, John. :thumbup: Good luck with your user interface ergonomics. Make her comfy!

All I did was watch grass grow today. Was about to decide I need to shovel some starter grass chunks from the back yard to where all the recent work was done out front. But whats there is getting started alright I guess. Thought about doing lots of things today but using the time off to rest trumped them all. One more day of doing my retired person impersonation, ha ha kidding. Did make it to the mailbox. GM is still spamming me with recall postcards on my junk. I slept in between dog barking fits, those are really loud in bed since I put up the window unit.

Anybody got pics up from that big street rod show over the weekend in MO?

#19,642 ·
Thought I would share some late model crap with you. So I am disassembling this 2015 Sienna. I have to remove the 3rd row seats. One little problem, they are power and I can't make them fold to get to the bolts and remove them. I read through the owners manual, I called the dealer, checked the fuses, nothing.
I thought it could be that I have something unplugged for the lift gate, rear bumper or some other crap that could cause it. Now mind you, these parts have NOTHING to do with the seats, the wiring is all in the body and un-touched. But we have seen it before where something stupid like a side mirror being unplugged doesn't allow you to unlock the doors...YES this happens in some cars.
I re-installed the latch and the switch and the key antenna and all that crap....nothing....the seat does nothing.
I took the owners manual home, I studied it, I looked on Youtube. I came back in with a few ideas this morning and got at it again, and again, nothing. I tried it with the engine running, not running, E brake on, doors open doors shut, still nothing.

The seats would recline, but they wouldn't "stow," how can this be?

I looked at the lift gate to see if maybe I had missed something that would make sense. The lights were still removed, my God could it be that? I had brushed that aside, but could that be it? As I was looking I noticed I hadn't plugged in the liftgate latch, so I did, and the seat switch light went on...the mutha works! The DAMN LIFT GATE LATCH HAS TO BE WORKING! It has NOTHING to do with the seats folding, the lid has to be open to even reach the switches, you can't hit them while driving or anything like that. You can't even touch the switches with the gate closed, why in the world would they do this?

Yeah, working on late model cars is so much fun.

Brian

Attachments

#19,643 ·
OH LORD.:sweat: So that's what the problem was with the grand caravan seats. At least IT was rear ended hard enough to crush the well the seats were mounted in. Believe it or not I got the seats out without them moving, it took a while but the latch, along with the hatch was destroyed. it would have been much easier to plug in the new latch then remove the seats. what a nightmare. I hate mine vans I just had a KIA come in with ALL the handles pulled off (EVERY DOOR) made it tough getting in. Piece of cake ,right? WRONG!!!:( I hate em.

#19,644 ·
After the CRAP of working on late model cars yesterday it was nice to go out to the garage and get a little done on the truck. I welded in that patch I made to fix the door gap and spent a little time with the gutter on that side. It kills me that I had an extra roof, and the roof that I started with, all four of the gutters got cut, CRAP. If they weren't cut I could reshape them and be done with it. But now I am going to have to splice lengthening the best pair a lousy half inch or so. But anyway, I will heat and reshape them and then lengthen them.

It's kinda funny that the very first mod most guys make is removing the gutters and here I am painstakingly fitting them back on to a chopped and sectioned cab. I removed them the last time I chopped this truck in '74, and I hated how the water would come in when you opened the door. Not only that but the theme of this build is a "stock" truck modified by the GM design studio so keeping the gutters makes sense.

Brian

Attachments

#19,645 ·
OH LORD.:sweat: So that's what the problem was with the grand caravan seats. At least IT was rear ended hard enough to crush the well the seats were mounted in. Believe it or not I got the seats out without them moving, it took a while but the latch, along with the hatch was destroyed. it would have been much easier to plug in the new latch then remove the seats. what a nightmare. I hate mine vans I just had a KIA come in with ALL the handles pulled off (EVERY DOOR) made it tough getting in. Piece of cake ,right? WRONG!!!:( I hate em.
Isn't it a joy! :evil::spank::boxing::p

Brian

#19,647 ·
Shave rails make a rod look like poop.
Especially when it's a coupe. Top of door line doesn't match the back glass.

Pickups are different of course....
I hate a coupe that looks like poop.

But on a truck it still would suck.

I know for sure I"m not a poet. But Brian please now don't you blow it.

Keep them there for goodness sake. A better truck you sure will make.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

John

#19,648 ·
I hate a coupe that looks like poop.

But on a truck it still would suck.

I know for sure I"m not a poet. But Brian please now don't you blow it.

Keep them there for goodness sake. A better truck you sure will make.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

John
Oh there is nothing to think about, the gutters were in this plan from day one and will remain. I could have shaved them off much easier than I did spending countless time carefully drilling out the spot welds and not bending them. Besides, I left the room for them! If I wasn't going to use them I would have to close up the gap a little around the top of the doors.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#19,651 ·
Well yesterday I did not work but I got worked over at the Hospital. I finally got the right shoulder done and replaced. They kicked me out today so I will be convalescing for a while. in the meantime I will take the recovery time and do some studying.

Thanks to everyone that said a prayer, and gave their well wishes.

Best Regards to All.

Rip VW:cool:

#19,654 ·
Today I played "rescue my son"

We got a phone call this afternoon at 3:30. It was Jon's employer. He is hurt, can I come get him. He took a fall of the loading dock at work. Put his hands out to save himself.

Broke BOTH wrists (four feet down to the concrete)

So, I went to get him and I took him to hospital

He is now in plaster from just below elbows to base of thumbs

I just got back from the drug store picking up his scrip for painkillers

As he said - life is gonna B interesting - can't even manage a knife & fork, never mind getting dressed etc, and going potty is NOT gonna be something easy either

#19,655 ·
We got a phone call this afternoon at 3:30. It was Jon's employer. He is hurt, can I come get him. He took a fall of the loading dock at work. Put his hands out to save himself.

As he said - life is gonna B interesting - can't even manage a knife & fork, never mind getting dressed etc, and going potty is NOT gonna be something easy either
Oh hell! Damn, DAMN, DAMN! Prayers are going his way, hope he kicks it's ***. Crap!

Brian

#19,656 ·
Well yesterday I did not work but I got worked over at the Hospital. I finally got the right shoulder done and replaced. They kicked me out today so I will be convalescing for a while. in the meantime I will take the recovery time and do some studying.

Best Regards to All.

Did you get a Pete & Jakes or an Eastwood shoulder? :mwink: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Brian:thumbup:

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#19,657 ·
I got out there for a little being I HAD to watch the Warriors tonight. Anyway, got the gutter shaped pretty good. I heated it with the torch and bend it, it works so much better than cutting something sometimes. I learned this out of the blue many years ago chopping a VW bug on the A pillars. It worked out so damn smooth, I used it on the truck A pillars too. But it really works good on so many things.

I did things a little faster back then, that VW bug, I had it chopped, start to finish, I am talking in primer, DONE, in one day, about 10 hours.

Brian

#19,658 ·

That sucks.

I put both my arms out exactly like that when I rode my bicycle over a fence and the down ramp board fell off.
Luckily, I only broke one wrist but that was the worst pain I ever felt.
Can't imagine how 2 feels. :(

#19,659 ·

Best Regards to All.

Glad to see the new parts got installed OK.
Break them in carefully like a freshly rebuilt engine...