Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#19,661 ·
I'm still going into work 1 or 2 days a week to get the '65 Impala together enough to send it to a paint shop. Dave, the owner, and I put the new gas tank in Tuesday and I got the fuel system all sealed up and ready to start the engine. We are both a little skittish working under this car, especially him, after it tried to eat him.
Yesterday I fired it up. It was broke in on a dyno after rebuild, but I had the pan off and replaced the rear main seal, as it had a leak at the back of the pan right off the dyno. I filled the front float bowl so it would start quickly and get oil pressure back on the bearings and it did fire off immediately. I left the converter disconnected, as it is a fresh build also and only wanted to deal with the engine and any potential coolant/oil leaks with that. After it ran a few minutes, I lifted it to bolt the converter on and fill the trans only to find the converter hub doesn't fit far enough into the crankshaft ..:mad: It's one thing after another with this car. I thought I remembered the 283's having a smaller crank hub and center hole and was trying to get ahold of the owner to find out were he had it built to call them about the converter, when it was time to go home. The shop manager will follow up and get the info for next week.

#19,662 ·
We got a phone call this afternoon at 3:30. It was Jon's employer. He is hurt, can I come get him. He took a fall of the loading dock at work. Put his hands out to save himself.

Broke BOTH wrists (four feet down to the concrete)

So, I went to get him and I took him to hospital

He is now in plaster from just below elbows to base of thumbs

I just got back from the drug store picking up his scrip for painkillers

As he said - life is gonna B interesting - can't even manage a knife & fork, never mind getting dressed etc, and going potty is NOT gonna be something easy either
This just sucks real bad! I hope the breaks are not worst case scenarios. The recovery might not take terribly long but that pain whew. Expect it to take a couple years on that part.

#19,663 ·
We got a phone call this afternoon at 3:30. It was Jon's employer. He is hurt, can I come get him. He took a fall of the loading dock at work. Put his hands out to save himself.

Broke BOTH wrists (four feet down to the concrete)

So, I went to get him and I took him to hospital

He is now in plaster from just below elbows to base of thumbs

I just got back from the drug store picking up his scrip for painkillers

As he said - life is gonna B interesting - can't even manage a knife & fork, never mind getting dressed etc, and going potty is NOT gonna be something easy either
I don't know how I missed this until this morning. I hate to hear it.

Thankfully, he has you guys for support and help.

John

#19,664 ·
Ok, damn it, I am keeping this up. :D Went out with the wife tonight but got out to the garage at 9:15 to get a little work done. Just fine tuning the gutter, it's looking damn good. I cut the screwed up end off and cut the piece off the extra gutter to weld on.

Brian

#19,665 ·
Planning work today. I sat down and planned my brake lines for the 33. 500$ worth of stainless lines, fittings and a couple hoses later, the cart is full and waiting for a couple of measurements to ensure proper selection to order it all up!

Next up? Get the ABS brake systems electrical power brake system in the mail.

#19,667 · (Edited)
Ok, damn it, I am keeping this up. :D Went out with the wife tonight but got out to the garage at 9:15 to get a little work done. Just fine tuning the gutter, it's looking damn good. I cut the screwed up end off and cut the piece off the extra gutter to weld on.

Brian
Ada boy, Keep up the good work! ::thumbup:

I got the basement floor tiles down and the Kerdi Band on the shower walls done.
Floor ready for grout and walls ready for Red Guard.

Ada boy. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I'm sitting at the Silver Dollar Rod Run In Sieverville today.....not gonna hit a lick.:D:D

No adaboys for me today.

John

#19,668 ·
Save dem gutters don't be like de udders. :sweat:

You're exactly right, those and vent windows were truly great designs. With all the drive throughs today the gutters would be a good asset.

Laugh my a s s off every time its raining watching the bubble cars and truck drivers, dodging the rain rolling off the roof into the interior.

Once upon a time one could drive in the rain with the window about half way down. And not feel like the were sitting under Niagara falls.

Greg

#19,669 ·
A happy Chevelle lover gave me these yesterday. They appear to be small bolt circle and two of them seem to be 8 inchers. I thought 7" was the widest they came. Anyway they could go with the one 6" here and the one on my back porch, to be a rolling stock improvement for the parts car also behind the fence. It has two flats and 14s all around. Any tips for removing the tires backyard style so they can go in the blaster?

#19,670 ·
A happy Chevelle lover gave me these yesterday. They appear to be small bolt circle and two of them seem to be 8 inchers. I thought 7" was the widest they came. Anyway they could go with the one 6" here and the one on my back porch, to be a rolling stock improvement for the parts car also behind the fence. It has two flats and 14s all around. Any tips for removing the tires backyard style so they can go in the blaster?

You sure there is an 8", I don't think so. If you haven't measured it it may just look that wide. I don't believe outside of Corvette wheels there was any 8", but I could be wrong, I was once.....or so they tell me.

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk
#19,671 ·
Going to a nephews first birthday (my nieces son) and it's a few hours away so I had to get out there and get something done. Just a little more on that gutter, trimmed the little piece I have to weld on to perfect and clamped it in place ready to weld next time I get out there.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#19,672 ·
Those are 7" wide, 4 3/4" bolt pattern. Actually somewhat valuable wheels.
Back in the day... I used the base of the bumper jack to break the beads. Place the heel of the pad right on the bead and jack until it starts to move the tire, or slide off. Angling the jack forward some at the top will force the pad back into the bead, but those look like they have been on a loooong time and will fight. A mild solution of dish soap will help them come off, once you have the tire down ~1/4". Down side to the soap is, the base want's to slide easier too. :rolleyes: Plan on an hour or so for the first one for the learning curve and the others will go better...:thumbup:

Couple of jack handles or tire irons and more soapy water with lots of "muttering" to peel the tire off the wheel. They have to come off the front side, as that has the shallower bead lip.

#19,673 ·
I have always had it in my head that yeah 7s were as wide as they came. But knowing that, I casually laid a tape measure on it and went hmm because they do seem wider than that. Good tips, Mitch. I was thinking sawzall or concrete blade on a circular saw then maybe a chisel for the remnants. I gotta get a better look at the bolt holes' condition but yeah if these might be made where they'll hold air I'd pop for used tires. It would give rabbits in the yard more headroom anyway.

#19,674 ·

2n bottom Pontiac ,,Chevrolet on top,,Olds has a Chrome like the on on top ,14&15,and b=Buick has chrome 14 painted but straight spokes No flare at the wheel .I have a set of each,,Buick also had a set of 15in chrome lug pattern same as Later caprice and pu. they are good if running 9;"ford so you can match front .

#19,675 ·
After walking all afternoon at the Goodguys, I didn't feel like going out to the garage but I made it. Got the gutter finished up with the piece welded on to the end to make it the correct length. I thought I would move on but I think I am going to screw it in place so I can have it ready to go when I get it primed and weld it in.

Brian

Attachments

#19,676 ·
2n bottom Pontiac ,,Chevrolet on top,,Olds has a Chrome like the on on top ,14&15,and b=Buick has chrome 14 painted but straight spokes No flare at the wheel .I have a set of each,,Buick also had a set of 15in chrome lug pattern same as Later caprice and pu. they are good if running 9;"ford so you can match front .
They are all the same style of Pontiac wheel. My 72 GP has 14s just like them. They were also made in 5" bolt circle, as were the Buick and Olds wheels which are both uniquely styled. Heck the guy who gave them to me thought they might be the gymkhana style from Chevelle and Camaro. Nope, just plain ole Pontiac rallys. I like them OK with or without trim rings.

#19,678 · (Edited)
They are all the same style of Pontiac wheel. My 72 GP has 14s just like them. They were also made in 5" bolt circle, as were the Buick and Olds wheels which are both uniquely styled. Heck the guy who gave them to me thought they might be the gymkhana style from Chevelle and Camaro. Nope, just plain ole Pontiac rallys. I like them OK with or without trim rings.
My computer wont let me zoom or enlarge photos ,on Hotrodders site,,can on ANY other site,, I looks like the top one had straight spokes like on my chevelle,,I have all the others Execpt chrome cutlass W30 15in wheels 68-70 newer cutlass had chrome 14 up to around 89 or somewhere close and no trim rings
.:thumbup:

I have extra pontiac wheels i will give you free,but freight might not be worth it.