The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 99 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It looks to me like you have a hood Pugsy. I know you are anctious to do the final tweaking. It looks to me like it is going to work out great.

John L
Thanks John.

Alot of tweaking is an understatement.
The hood will end up as almost as much work as the front/fenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There is always "tweaking" to be done, no matter what they show you on the reality TV shows. Now you have the shape you wanted. Making it fit like you want it to definitely can be done. Down hill from here. Hope you keep posting some pictures of the process.

Congratulations
John L
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks John.

Alot of tweaking is an understatement.
The hood will end up as almost as much work as the front/fenders.

Ahhhh, yes, I think a lot of us have been there-kinda happy that you have to do that task that you hoped might fall into place or be easy, and/or kinda sad that it sets your timetable back-

I'll tell you one thing-that Car of yours is going to be gorgeous when it's done, and when you pull into a show or gathering there won't be anything there that looks like it-and, I'll bet when you're done you'll miss bending the metal! It gets in the blood! Really nice job-
Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 AM

Last photo:

Thanks 35.

I had a 10 year budget for the build and its just passed 4 years now.
I could still make the schedule, maybe.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Budget? Ive heard of that...........somewhere-
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

John, I know you are the new guy around here, have you looked at Pugsy's project journal? That car is a work of friggin art from the first bolt that was turned and the first weld made. You could take a friggin control arm and hang it in your living room and the wife wouldn't say a thing but Ahhhhhhhh.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
John, I know you are the new guy around here, have you looked at Pugsy's project journal? That car is a work of friggin art from the first bolt that was turned and the first weld made. You could take a friggin control arm and hang it in your living room and the wife wouldn't say a thing but Ahhhhhhhh.

Brian
X2 I'd buy those engine mounts and would never end up using 'em just because I'd hate to get 'em dirty.
The Following User Says Thank You to lt1silverhawk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian

You know guys, I am embarrassed to say I have not. I certainly will make a point of it. I can tell by his posts the quality of work he does. I know one thing. I am to old to have a 10 year budget. Can't handle a 77 year end date.

John L
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Wow Pugs. Been looking at your journal. You ought to publish that. You have to be excited about how far you have come. Looking good!

John L
Old 07-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Wow Pugs. Been looking at your journal. You ought to publish that. You have to be excited about how far you have come. Looking good!

John L
Isn't that WILD! Looking at that cars construction I feel like a friggin hack!
Damn it's beautiful work.

Brian
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

you are right Brian. Imhave lurked around some of the metal meet sights but never contributed much. What I like about Pugs is he has a vision and is working toward completing a real usable project that will demonstrate his skill.

I made the comment once that if I had a small convertible that had a good windshield frame and top irons I would like to hand body a sports car using something like an s10 chassis that had been z'd. My buddy told me about 2 weeks later he would trade me a Corvair Monza convertible for some Cushman parts I had. That was to provide me with said windshield, top irons, window regulators etc. for my build. Unlike Pugsy, I just don't have the energy to tackle a project that would take a minimum of 5-6 years. That makes me 73 when it is finished (if I'm lucky). I made the trade but the 'Vair is still in Pete's shed. I guess he wishes I would come and get it. Go Pugs!

John L
Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Just hope I can finish without losing direction and end up getting discouraged.

I spent all day yesterday getting a couple of stiffener angles made and installed and got it rigged back on the rotisserie.

The two repair patches are sticking out too far and I didn't want to use the shrinking disc for a year on it so I pulled out the torches and tried my hand at torch/dolly shrinking. Its gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4140 (Medium).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	66866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4141 (Medium).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	66867  
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I know it is hard to tell a lot from pictures but I think you are being too hard on yourself. The reflection looks to me like you are already getting it down where it needs to be. I wonder if a stud gun would give a more gentle shrink over the larger area. I have never used one so I am thinking out loud, not recommending. A shrinking disc and a stud gun are both things Santa could bring me if he reads the Forum.

John L
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Unless someone shows me how to use it the stud gun is a pretty harsh way to shrink. I have a shrinking tip for mine and it really is for something that you want to simply stop it from oil caning so you can slather it with bondo.

The tip is spring loaded, a HEAVY spring. When you push it on the surface with a stud in it, this spring is mashing it against the metal as you meet the ground ring that is around the tip against the metal and then you pull the trigger to make your direct short welding the stud to the surface. So when you use the shrinking tip you are MASHING this tip into the surface, so think about this now, you have a small tip MASHED into the metal right where you are going to heat it up......you see where this is going? The tip goes INTO the softened metal and you end up with a dent.

It works like a charm IF you need some quick shrinking but it is no "tin smith" tool. Again, I sure as heck am wide open for someone to show me I am wrong so I can learn another trick. I know when I was working for a guy and pulled out my stud gun he showed me how to use it as I had been using it all wrong for a few years.

Here is a video of yours truly using the shrinker it's a horrible video with me dropping the shrinking tip but it will get my point across.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0548.mp4

Here is one using the stud welder properly. All you need is a tap on the button to weld it, just a tap like you do on your computer keyboard. You don't burn the thing in like I did before I was taught how to properly do it. In the video you will see how I weld a couple on and give it a simple wiggle and it falls right off. Then you will see me pulling with the slide hammer on one and I can give it a heck of a whack pulling on the metal pretty good, then a little wiggle and it falls right off. You do NOT need to burn it in so you have to cut it off with a pair of wire cutters for goodness sakes. But that is how I was using it not knowing any better until my boss showed me.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0547.mp4

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-19-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Well I am beat tonight after a 10 hour day at work in the heat. But before I put my jammies on I HAD to go out and put that 5 minutes in or I would feel damn guilty. I removed the header weather strip so I could wrap the top around the header. I pulled it out to the sides and held the flap with a screw where the weather strip will hold it later and it is looking great up there.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.