Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#162 ·
Got home from work & I had promised myself I would put up three more blinds in the family room. (Keep the peace kinda thing! If my better half ain't happy, I ain't gonna be happy). Brought some cardboard home to make templates for the floor on the 33 Ply. Not enough time to start on anything else after that so I just posted some pics into my journal of the project I put on hold for this winter so I can do some of the mods on the Ply.

Attachments

#163 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Got home from work & I had promised myself I would put up three more blinds in the family room. (Keep the peace kinda thing! If my better half ain't happy, I ain't gonna be happy). Brought some cardboard home to make templates for the floor on the 33 Ply. Not enough time to start on anything else after that so I just posted some pics into my journal of the project I put on hold for this winter so I can do some of the mods on the Ply.

A Comet with a T-Bolt scoop....... What engine are you putting in it? It'll have to be a 289-302 era small block, maybe a 351W, but if you want anything bigger, you will have to relocate/modify the shock towers.

Is it a Caliente or a Cyclone?

#164 ·
I got my RH quarter repair panel modified and put on :thumbup:

I ended up splitting the back side at the fender bead, because of the cuts/fitting already made at door jam

it worked out OK because the bead/roll bodyline at the fender was bigger/rounder then the repair panel, so I was able to fix that at the same time

I cheated and made a doubler for the back side (kinda like putting a flange on it)

Attachments

#165 ·
CometCyclone said:
A Comet with a T-Bolt scoop....... What engine are you putting in it? It'll have to be a 289-302 era small block, maybe a 351W, but if you want anything bigger, you will have to relocate/modify the shock towers.

Is it a Caliente or a Cyclone?
Hello CometCyclone: It's an original 4sp Cyclone I found in Tennessee about 11 years ago, body only but in pretty decent shape. It took me 9+ years before I started to work on it. I posted a little more about it in my journal. I have always liked the style & there are not too many around, so it appeals to me for something out of the ordinary.

#166 ·
Been working on a 92 Nissan Hardbody that has the 3.0 v-6 I rebuilt, ported and polished everything, custom cold-air intake,dual exhaust, centerforce stage 2 clutch, short throw shifter. Used to be my truck, now, is going to my 15 yr old son for his first vehicle. Been teaching him the ways of the customizer (aka...glutton-for-punishment)He is a really good painter btw and has been there almost every step of the way. I still manage to sandblast parts for the 82 c-10 of mine while taking breaks from the Nissan . Its a short bed, airbagged, shaved everything, Richard Childress built 305 out of one of their show-cars, 700-r4, going ground up. Got tired of all the little screw-ups from the ones who restored it before I got it, so, straight to frame after dumping about 4 grand over buying price fixing shotty, unreliable work. I will post a few pics of both on the site when I get back on it.Ahh, the life of "cant-leave-it-alone".

#168 ·
I just keep going out there to the garage and bolt on one more thing, today the seals on the drivers side inner fender. :) Tomorrow that left front fender should be on.

Brian

#169 ·
I ran my steering shaft right thru my nice motor mount eliminating 2 u-joints and shaft support bearings as well.

I had mounted the steering rack straight up and down (newb mistake) and had no choice but to run the shaft where it is now.

It sure hurt to start cutting the thing up. :pain:

Attachments

#170 ·
123pugsy said:
I ran my steering shaft right thru my nice motor mount eliminating 2 u-joints and shaft support bearings as well.

I had mounted the steering rack straight up and down (newb mistake) and had no choice but to run the shaft where it is now.

It sure hurt to start cutting the thing up. :pain:
is that pick from underneath the engine looking up?

#171 ·
MARTINSR said:
I just keep going out there to the garage and bolt on one more thing, today the seals on the drivers side inner fender. :) Tomorrow that left front fender should be on.

Brian
this is something I really want/need to get in the habit of doing :thumbup:

even if you only do one little thing, you did something and it adds up pretty quickly

I wont do anything, unless I can really spend some time at it, and I need to change that way of thinking/attitude :spank:

#172 ·
matts37chev said:

even if you only do one little thing, you did something and it adds up pretty quickly

I wont do anything, unless I can really spend some time at it, and I need to change that way of thinking/attitude :spank:
Matt, when I started putting my car together (three years ago! :rolleyes: ) I had a plan that was working great. I made a promise to myself that I would go out and work on it five minutes each day, yep, just five minutes. I promised myself that is all I need to do, just five minutes. I got a lot done in no time until I had to get into some other projects around the house and it all came to a halt.

I am at it again and it is working wonders! Now, some times, that is all I do, five minutes. I had a couple of days since I started back on it that I literally only worked five minutes. Literally simply arranged some bolts or parts or dug out some part from storage or something like that, just five minutes. But the next day that part was sitting there waiting and I was able to get a lot done because of that five minutes the day before. Other times I walk out there and you know how it is, you THINK you only have the energy for five minutes and next thing you know you have been at it a couple of hours!

It's working out great and I am proud of myself seeing the thing getting done. I have had some serious disappointments like it not starting and the rebuilt trans leaking like a sieve. :spank: But after a call to my brother he calmed me down and convinced me to just get the car back together and then get it to him and he would take care of that crap. But I was getting pretty ticked about the whole frigging thing because of that stuff that was back tracking, nothing ticks me off more than re-doing something and I had been all thru the trans, had the motor out and all that money to have it rebuilt and such. But I am back on track and will get it done for the summer.

Five minutes at a time. :D

Brian

#173 ·
matts37chev said:

I agree with Brian's work method totally. Lately I didn't have the energy to work on my project through the week, but just going out & looking at it in the evenings when I get home brings to mind a little something I can do. Sometimes it's just how to go about something. Any progress on anything is that much further along, even if it's just the plan! :thumbup: Bob

#174 ·
After weeks of bodywork and sanding on my Austin gasser project I finally sent it off to get the paint shot, so I took the day to clean up and put things away!
What a mess of sanding dust, pieces of sandpaper, dirty towells, masking tape, etc.! The car gets back in a week or two, and I'm moving my '71 Camaro into the space so I can reassemble the Austin in the attached garage, but I want it clean so I don't stir up dust running the Camaro in there.

#178 ·
Tonight I was given a couple of nice tool cabinets so I went and got them and that was my "garage time" or so I thought. I figured I HAD to get my five minutes in. :D I went out and installed the hood hinge on the one fender I have on and put the spring on it. First off I was reminded what a GREAT tip this was that I posted three years ago. Click here for spring installation tip.

No effort what so ever, one handed even. :D

Anyway, my little five minutes got my hood hinge and spring AND the right headlamp assy installed. :D

By the way, one of the cabinets I got tonight use to be in my body shop twenty years ago. It's an explosion proof cabinet required by fire code here in town and I sold it to the shop I now work at when I closed up mine. Now she's home and I plan on painting it like my sign I had on the shop. :D

Brian

#179 ·
Today, I finished up modifying the 51 year old Rampside gas tank to receive the Toyota Tundra sending unit/electric fuel pump. This little project stretched out over several days since there was a lot of cleaning to do on the inside and out side of the tank. I had filled it with water after sitting open for almost a year and cut a hole in the top of the tank for two purposes. One was to fit the unit into the tank and the other was to get inside to clean it up from 30 years of sitting with some very rotten gasoline. I also had to extend the pick up tube and change the angle to get it to reach the bottom of the tank which is shaped like a stretched out Z. I also had to move the float assembly 90* so it could operate side to side vice front and back. Regardless, it is ready for epoxy primer and coating with bedliner material. As a side note, the tank was amazingly rust free and clean after getting rid of the residue.

Trees