Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#1,342 ·
I got the cruise all hooked up (wrong) yesterday. I started the truck with the wheels off the ground, put it in Drive and touched the gas. It revved up so high and hit about 100 MPH in no time.

Scared the bageevers out of me. I guess I should hook the vac lines up correctly next time.
After the vac line swap, it wouldn't work at all. :smash:

#1,343 ·
That had to scare the peedabbledeedoo out of you Pugs. Surely it will be a simple fix after you figure it out.

Mike, what did you decide about the skirts? I think I would like them but I like tail draggers in general. Several of my friends have tried to get me to raise the rear of the 36 back up but I like it down. I have had a set of steel skirts on the shelf for years but never ran them.

Thats another nice thing about not doing customer work. It's my opinion that counts. :)

John L

#1,344 ·
John long said:
Maybe your next project should be a 700r4 transmission. It would be perfect with that rear end. Best of both worlds. :)

John L
Last year I replaced the TH-350-C in my T-bucket with a 700R4. I am running a rear gear from a '57 Chev with 3.36 ratio. It is the perfect combination. Almost like a 4.10 with a TH350 in low, and runs about 2100 rpm @ 70mph. in 4th. I wired up a manual switch for the lockup, in conjunction with a relay so it unlocks when I hit the brakes. I have the wiring diagrams if anyone needs them. I still use the same shifter, with the only downside to that, is low cannot be manually selected. Slight shortening of the driveshaft and a rearward relocation of the crossmember.

#1,346 ·
John long said:
Ahhh, we have a whole new project for Brian just waitng to be adopted. Let's hurry up and get this top on so we can get started Brian :D :mwink: :p

John L

Remember my Buick has a REAL ( :mwink: ) engine in it, a Nailhead, so the 700R4 won't bolt to it. I think they make an adapter but I honestly wouldn't go there.

I do want to put the overdrive I have in the Rambler, that may be a project after I get the top on the Gran Sport.

Brian

#1,348 ·
I cheated a little, but still got something done.

After moving the sister-in-law yesterday I am BEAT. So I brought my Roper Whitney punch in, some rubber and cut a bunch of rubber washers for the tack strip for the top. That and a beer while watching the Giants kicking the Dodgers butt, I got my five minutes in and the game too!

Brian

#1,351 ·
Congratulation Pugs. I know you are glad to have it going.

Well, I decided to install the radiator shrouding that goes between the radiator and the grill. It prevents air from going around or under the radiator and funnels it through the radiator at highway speeds. Turns out all I have to do is remove the hood and the radiator to install it.... Not in this lifetime.......

I reconfigured it so I could install the 2 side pieces and installed 1/4 inch steel nutserts so I could then install the bottom piece.

Here is the way old Henry built it.

And here is the new and improved version

#1,354 ·
John long said:
Mike, what did you decide about the skirts? I think I would like them but I like tail draggers in general. Several of my friends have tried to get me to raise the rear of the 36 back up but I like it down. I have had a set of steel skirts on the shelf for years but never ran them.

John L
I put the idea on a shelf for now. I'm trying to concentrate on the things that HAVE to be done to drive it legal, for now.As soon as the LF rear fender is done I'll be on the nose again .I'm using 66 VW headlights and a lot of modifications.Heres the mock up of the changes being made.

Attachments

#1,355 ·
deadbodyman said:
I put the idea on a shelf for now. I'm trying to concentrate on the things that HAVE to be done to drive it legal, for now.As soon as the LF rear fender is done I'll be on the nose again .I'm using 66 VW headlights and a lot of modifications.Heres the mock up of the changes being made.
I would not have thought or re-contouring the front fenders that way. that is something else I can't wait to see how it turns out. Pretty cool.

Someone will beat me to it Brian but I have been trying to get "that picture".

John L

#1,356 ·
Spent the day modifying the spring perches on my gasser to make them acceot different U bolts. The Speedway axles come with a square U bolt that bolts the weld on perch to the spring. I wanted U bolts that sandwich the axle, perch, and springs with a spring plate on top. Just seemed much stronger to my thinking.
Problem was the mounting holes were under the axle, so I had to elongate them about 1/4" to get the new U bolts in. Took a couple hours of grinding on the 8 holes to get the U bolt to fit, but it inally went in.

Then after arguing with a guy the other day about what kind of car it was, I had the sign guy add something to the trunk lid. Amazing that someone would argue with the car's owner about what kind of car it was? But he wasn't the first to think it was an Anglia! :)

#1,359 ·
I have a Rock Valley Stainless Tank in my Car, and I thought I had foresight when it was made to put in their "TPI option" which essentially allows you to use an in-Tank Fuel Pump-ha! (what an idiot!) :mad:

Little did I consider that Hilborn would give me a Weldon in-line Pump, so I had Rock Valley make me an insert that would give me a return to tank for the Fuel-anyway, when I got the insert, I went to put it in the Tank, and realized that there was a well in the Tank with a baffle that looks like two "C" 's face to face (one bigger than the other) that make a well and control Fuel slosh (and, of course they put regular Baffles in the Tank too)-

When I realized that, I figured a way to modify the insert so that it would compartmentalize the return from the suction side, so that it doesn't cavitate the Pump-anyway I've got to get some 14 Gauge Stainless and mesh to complete my evil plan-:evil:

After that, I made an Aluminum plate to mount the Pump and Filter, then went to work and got some Round Baler belting to rubber mount it-by the time I got it mounted and everything it took most of the day, and now I'm polishing an Aluminum plate that nobody will ever see-see what I mean? What an Idiot! :spank: :D

On the upside, Hilborn finally sent me the rest of my order (mostly Holley EFI stuff, but I finally got both sets of Stacks!)-just looking at the stuff gives me a woody :thumbup:-

My engine builder finally got the AFR 315 Heads back from the polisher on Friday (said they look fantastic), so I think we finally have everything, and I have taken off the 18-20th of July to go watch it Dyno (with a Dominator/Victor). After that, we will fit the Hilborn, and the DIS, and get it Home (which is about 600 Miles)-I hope to video the Dyno session, and I will Post that (if it turns out) and the Dyno sheets when I get them-

#1,360 ·
Glad to see you getting something done guys, I am waiting for my top to come and have just been lazy, yesterday was the laziest Saturday I believe I have ever had outside of being ill. I did get a good game of catch in with my daughter though. Today, another lazy one, I am off to the Giants game with her. We will be in the bleachers so last night we had to practice catching Giants home run balls. :welcome:

Brian