Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,022 ·
Bought a rack to make a place to stow my safety gear for the garage. I will need to modify it a little, but it will be easier than the project I was going to do. I was going to cut up some old mower handles to make a rack to hold my new(not purchased yet) fire extinguisher, first aid kit, safety goggles, etc. I call it a safety rack. The old vhs display rack was only 10 dollars at the pawn shop that I am getting the compressor at.

Also paid on my compressor layaway. Bought some welding "vice grips" on clearance at tractor supply. Also got a couple of cutting discs for my 4 and a half inch angle grinder. Going to get to work on building my new shop press tomorrow. I looked at jacks at tractor supply. Still not sure which way I want to go. Either local or go up to harbor freight. And not sure what tonnage. I have a 4 ton jack, but want at least 6 tons. Trying to decide if I want to go to 20 tons or just say 6 to 12 tons. For what I need I don't know if I need to go hog wild. Mainly just want to push some bearings out right now.

#2,023 ·
It was warm and dry, so I decided to do my welding project outside. Had to replace the diff. cover gasket, and while it was off I figured why not spruce it up too?
Bent up some flat bar I had and welded it to the cover.

Then after a little grinding and some paint it dresses up the rear a bit!

#2,025 ·
Bought a rack to make a place to stow my safety gear for the garage. I will need to modify it a little, but it will be easier than the project I was going to do. I was going to cut up some old mower handles to make a rack to hold my new(not purchased yet) fire extinguisher, first aid kit, safety goggles, etc. I call it a safety rack. The old vhs display rack was only 10 dollars at the pawn shop that I am getting the compressor at.

Also paid on my compressor layaway. Bought some welding "vice grips" on clearance at tractor supply. Also got a couple of cutting discs for my 4 and a half inch angle grinder. Going to get to work on building my new shop press tomorrow. I looked at jacks at tractor supply. Still not sure which way I want to go. Either local or go up to harbor freight. And not sure what tonnage. I have a 4 ton jack, but want at least 6 tons. Trying to decide if I want to go to 20 tons or just say 6 to 12 tons. For what I need I don't know if I need to go hog wild. Mainly just want to push some bearings out right now.
I bought a couple of their 20 ton jacks a few years ago they have an air pump thats real handy I think they were around 50.00 ,you'll never want to use another hand pump jack again.while your at it figure on making it a press brake for bending brackets out of thick steel...

#2,026 ·

I was going to make a bearing press, but then HF had free standing 12 ton presses on sale for $99 back then. I decided for the little press work I do it would be great. I've had it for probably 7-8 years now, and use it once in awhile, and it does a good job for me. Glad I didn't build one, as I'd probably have spent more, plus had too much time in it.
The same 12 ton is on sale now at HF for $129. Hardly worth building one yourself, unless you just want a project. The steel might cost that much.

#2,027 ·
I was going to make a bearing press, but then HF had free standing 12 ton presses on sale for $99 back then. I decided for the little press work I do it would be great. I've had it for probably 7-8 years now, and use it once in awhile, and it does a good job for me. Glad I didn't build one, as I'd probably have spent more, plus had too much time in it.
The same 12 ton is on sale now at HF for $129. Hardly worth building one yourself, unless you just want a project. The steel might cost that much.
Already have the steel. And I picked up a couple of older jacks that need a little work for 20 bucks yesterday. Might need a few odds and ends, but I will be in it probably less than fifty bucks out of pocket when I am done. If I only wanted a 4 ton press I could have gone with the jack I had and maybe spend 20 total, but these new jacks are at least 12 tons. Need to go clean the jacks and start working on them.

#2,028 ·
I finished installing my 1960's Mr Roadster Dual Scoop.

Last weekend I drilled and tapped the Scoop

As well as modified the way the flange mounts. They wanted you to drill through the side of the scoop and although it would make installing it easier I didnt want 8 bolts sticking out the side of the scoop

This weekend I cut the back of the hood cut out and did a little touch up painting. Came out perfect and I like it a lot better than the Dual Air Cleaner Set Up I previously had.

#2,029 ·
Nice job! I like the angle on the scoop too!
I modified mine also, as I hated having to remove 8 bolts from the bottom to change air filters or remove the scoop. I put longer 1/4" threaded rod through my air cleaners to extend through the top of the scoop. Then milled the center fin off at each hole and added two knurled knobs to keep the scoop in place.

#2,030 ·
Cleaned up and got working two jacks I got at the pawn shop. Both are twelve ton jacks. One is a good old blackhawk jack, an hj 12. Still trying to find out how old it is. The other is a no name 12 ton. They just needed oil. Have not tried them with a load yet, but the rams move up now and they have less grease on them than when I started.

I also moved a sheet of peg board I have had stuck in an inconvenient spot to a more useful spot. It is not anchored to the wall yet, but it should stay in place. Any ideas/sources for cheap pegs to hold my tools?

#2,031 ·
I started installing turn signals into the buckets.

I didn't like the idea of having the bulb on the reflector with the headlight so I thought custom would have to be the way.

There's a nice big space available at the bottom of the bucket for the socket.

Attachments

#2,034 ·
I have been playing a little with the Rambler, I am no mechanic, my brother always did that stuff so I never learned much. My Rambler has been "bucking" for lack of a better term when under load, but it didn't take much, it would do this just cruising. It also would change RPM while idling. Anyway I was living with it just thinking it was the nature of the beast and I had to wind it up a little tighter as I drove up to speed.

Well I noticed when the vacuum wipers were turned on at idle the RPM went up, I thought this was odd and called my brother. He told me this meant the carb was too rich and to turn in the idle screw a little. So over the last few days driving home I have pulled over and messed with it, then raised the idle screw a little and it runs WAY better. Damn, I need to learn more about this stuff but at least I have my call out to my brother. :D

Brian

#2,035 ·
Cleaned up and got working two jacks I got at the pawn shop. Both are twelve ton jacks. One is a good old blackhawk jack, an hj 12. Still trying to find out how old it is. The other is a no name 12 ton. They just needed oil. Have not tried them with a load yet, but the rams move up now and they have less grease on them than when I started.

I also moved a sheet of peg board I have had stuck in an inconvenient spot to a more useful spot. It is not anchored to the wall yet, but it should stay in place. Any ideas/sources for cheap pegs to hold my tools?
An assortment of peg board hooks are available at nearly any hardware store.

#2,036 ·
Got the socket plates/parts welded up tonight.

Still need to make a shroud around the bulb or else it lights up the whole bucket.

Attachments