Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,621 ·
It has nothing what so ever to do with the top pump, it may be the way the top irons are adjusted but nothing to do with the pump. It goes down all the way without a hitch. The problem is with the top cloth it's self not folding behind the seat but laying on top of it.

In this photo the irons may not be down all the way, but with the turn of the switch it easily will go down further. The only problem is how the top is folded over the rear seat. This is going to be one of my projects at the next Goodguys, walking around looking at the other A body convertibles to see how theirs are done.

As far as the adjustment of the top irons I can't imagine it being pushed back anymore to make the whole top back further, but that is what it looks like it needs. But the top is overhanging the rear seat a good two to three inches where as the top irons only have a half inch at best that it could be moved, so that can't be it. The top folds where it is suppose to, I am befuddled to say the least.

Brian
I think you have a great idea there looking at the other A body converts. :thumbup: I'm sure that you will find the problem, and then you will say: "Why didn't I think of that ?" :rolleyes:

#2,622 ·
I think you have a great idea there looking at the other A body converts. :thumbup: I'm sure that you will find the problem, and then you will say: "Why didn't I think of that ?" :rolleyes:
Exactly! I inspected every convertible at the last Goodguys right as I was about to put my top on, that helped a LOT. First off, it made things more realistic to me, I was expecting perfection and looking at all those cars left me a LOT more comfortable about it. :D I took LOTS of photos, close up photos and it was valuable time spent.

Brian

#2,629 ·
Right on, time to get welding! What are you working on?

Brian
The valve job on my dump van got interrupted by wall paper, wall painting, and now sanding and re-staining window sills. Tomorrow a little varnishing and sanding then out to the van and check rocker lift before I pull the heads. In take is off and exhaust manifold bolt is broken. All this for a vehicle that moves probably 70 miles a year.
The goggles were for viewing chevy3100's paint!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#2,630 ·
The valve job on my dump van got interrupted by wall paper, wall painting, and now sanding and re-staining window sills. Tomorrow a little varnishing and sanding then out to the van and check rocker lift before I pull the heads. In take is off and exhaust manifold bolt is broken. All this for a vehicle that moves probably 70 miles a year.
The goggles were for viewing chevy3100's paint!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
LOLOL, got ya. You going to make it out to Pleasanton for the Goodguys so I can buy you a beer?

Brian

#2,631 ·
Tonight I sand blasted and painted the idler arm for the Rambler. I also cut the bushing down to the correct length.

While out there I brain stormed on making my Gran Sport accessible to my friend Steve. I came up with some good stuff I believe that is going to make it happen.

Brian

#2,632 ·
Primed my doors for the last time (I hope) tonight. Will block them one more time and they should be ready for paint.

The check engine light on my new (to me) van is still off.

The Dockside Cafe at Harrison Bay State Park reopened for the season and I just had some fresh smoked briskett for supper.

All and all a very good day.

John L

#2,633 ·
Primed my doors for the last time (I hope) tonight. Will block them one more time and they should be ready for paint.

The Dockside Cafe at Harrison Bay State Park reopened for the season and I just had some fresh smoked briskett for supper.

John L

lookin good .I can smell them from here.:D

#2,635 ·

John L

That does sound like a wonderful day John. :thumbup:

Brian

#2,636 ·
I can't go back to carbs either, now that I've had a taste of injection.
I've been thinking it was running rich this whole time but the plugs looked really good, except for 5 and 6 looked like they were running rich. That unequal fuel distribution! Lol. I was getting some ping with the new timing so I put it back where it was:rolleyes:
I'm thinking maybe it idles rich cause if i drive then park for an hour or 2 it takes a little extra cranking to start or i have to hold the gas half way down. Maybe I'll play with the idle mixture....again:drunk:

#2,638 ·
I am looking forward to it John, big time. It's nice leaving to go home now with the sun still up. That getting dark at 5:30 sucks.

I just put some time into the idler arm for the Rambler. Fine tuned the bushing length, made a pair of washers and painted it all. I installed the bushing in the arm and found that it needed a little fine tuning to the mounting surface so I did so and put a coat of paint on it leaving them out in the garage for tonight.

Brian

#2,640 ·
Got my cab painted Monday rolled it outside to dry in sun .started raining then a tornado cameby ,no damage here but some close by,Now today it is Snowing, oh in picture i was smiling today im not,:confused. just a reflection of my feelings from 8 ft away. LOL
Looks really good. I know you are excited.

Brians Rambler is going to be going the direction he points it pretty soon too.

My wife let me bring my doors in and put them in the guest room so the Epoxy would cure. Now that's a good woman. :)

John L