Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,842 ·
Got back on the Falcon gasser project today. Pulled the wimpy Falcon 4 bolt rearend, and set the new 8.8" Ford rearend in place after cutting the perches off. Looks like it will be perfect for the Falcon. It's two inches wider, so it should be just the right amount of tire hanging out once I radius the fenderwells and put on 10" piecrust slicks.

#2,843 ·
Got back on the Falcon gasser project today. Pulled the wimpy Falcon 4 bolt rearend, and set the new 8.8" Ford rearend in place after cutting the perches off. Looks like it will be perfect for the Falcon. It's two inches wider, so it should be just the right amount of tire hanging out once I radius the fenderwells and put on 10" piecrust slicks.
"Pie crust" slicks, I love it, never heard that term before and always search for the right word to describe them. :thumbup:

I worked on the transfer seat, things are looking good, right along with the plan from the beginning. :sweat: I thought I was going to have to make some changes but I think it will work out. Only got a few more days before the Goodguys! double :sweat::sweat:

Brian

#2,845 · (Edited)
1957 3100 , the old generater works ! got more of the new wire harness in . put some new plug wires too , and timed it , dam she runs good ... big flat spot but then she pulls hard ! the accelerator pump failed , ive heard they are not compatible with new so called gasoline . this was a hygrade kit just so you guy's know . gotta flush the old brake fluid out , and adjust etc . btw 71 BB427 congats on the show win !. is the third your installing the explorer rear with disks posi and 411 gears ? that is a great junkyard part for hot rods ,

#2,846 ·
btw 71 BB427 congats on the show win !. is the third your installing the explorer rear with disks posi and 411 gears ? that is a great junkyard part for hot rods ,
The 8.8" Ford I put under the Falcon project is a 3.73 posi unit, and you're right; they are a very good option! The equal to a 12 bolt posi GM, but a fraction of the price. Seems the word isn't out on them yet, so they're still affordable.

I went back to the wrecking yard today and picked up a 2wd Ranger driveline to shorten, and the spring plates for the Explorer rearend, so I can bolt it up.

#2,847 ·
Spent some time color sanding my doors today. One is done through 2000 and the other through 1500. With a little luck I will finish sanding them tomorrow and get them buffed tomorrow or Thursday.

I could get this done quicker if it weren't for sleeping late, taking naps, and going out to eat. :thumbup:

Life is good. :D

John L

#2,851 ·
You darn tootin it's ok! And I'll bet he's tootin too. :D

I got a little done on the transfer seat, the bracket in the rocker is all done as well as the rocker mod. Tomorrow the paint will be dry and I'll install that and all I have is the final bit of work on the seat frame. It's looking good, sorry no photos, camera was in the house and it's raining didn't feel like running in.

Brian

#2,854 ·
You darn tootin it's ok! And I'll bet he's tootin too. :D

I got a little done on the transfer seat, the bracket in the rocker is all done as well as the rocker mod. Tomorrow the paint will be dry and I'll install that and all I have is the final bit of work on the seat frame. It's looking good, sorry no photos, camera was in the house and it's raining didn't feel like running in.

Brian
Can't think of a better thing to take you away from the project :thumbup:

Brian was it not you that said if I had no pictures there was no reason for anyone to believe I did anything? You had better buy an umbrella. :D

John
Pretty cool, and way better than anything about cars we could post! Congratulations!

Thanks y'all. Just think in a few short years he will be in the shop wrenching with me!

#2,855 · (Edited)
1957 3100 . I went for another ride around block . checked the rr drum its fine bled all the old fluid thru then driverside rear darn rivits are shiny , I don't have any new ones and going to rebuild the cyl its all wet in there too . I also loaded some pics to an album here on hotrodders . sorry for double posting coudnt figure out how to delete

#2,856 ·
1957 3100 . I went for another ride around block . checked the rr drum its fine bled all the old fluid thru then driverside rear darn rivits are shiny , I don't have any new ones and going to rebuild the cyl its all wet in there too . I also loaded some pics to an album here on hotrodders .:p

#2,859 ·
Thanks y'all. Just think in a few short years he will be in the shop wrenching with me!
You don't know how true that is! When I was dancing with my oldest daughter at her wedding I looked over at my youngest, she was 9 at the time and I thought as fast as time as flown with the one I was dancing with, when will I be at her wedding, next week? THAT is how time flies. Enjoy every minute!

Brian

#2,860 ·
got the R door, R fender, R rocker in primer last night. I was kind of bummed to realize I didn't even fully sand a patch of mud low on the rocker. Was planning on only priming that area once but I guess I'll have to spot some primer on the rocker later. The door and fender don't need any more primer but will let them sit and kick for a week or two. Also realized the after market L quarter that was installed had an all too common issue...the stamp caused the middle of the wheel crown to be caved in. You can't always find this with guide coat and sometimes it's hard to find with your hands so it's best to use a straight edge for this area. You really need to access this area BEFORE you put mud on it, but at the time I didn't think about it.

Moral of the story, guide coat is just part of the equation. If anything, I'd say a good hand feel and using it when needed is just as important if not more important than guide coat. If this wasn't the case then guide coat would show you everything on hoods and decklids but to get them truly straight you need to put the guide coat to the side and rub your hands all over it in multiple directions. Some guys think it's not an exact science but neither is guide coat, otherwise it would show you the hood/deck isn't straight. The best handtool is the hand itself in body work.