Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,221 ·
Don't like the ahh oo gah horn, just don't get it. On a stock Model A I guess. :D I had never seen one of those manual ones but that is exactly how the Bermuda bell came to us, it was a manual bell under the floor boards and you hit the button like that with your foot ringing the bell.

Brian

#3,222 ·
Don't like the ahh oo gah horn, just don't get it. On a stock Model A I guess. :D I had never seen one of those manual ones but that is exactly how the Bermuda bell came to us, it was a manual bell under the floor boards and you hit the button like that with your foot ringing the bell.

Brian
That horn sounds like a duck call. Lame.
I had a Bermuda Bell in my '48 Ford when I was in high school. Have you priced those darned things lately? Ouch!

#3,223 ·
That horn sounds like a duck call. Lame.
I had a Bermuda Bell in my '48 Ford when I was in high school. Have you priced those darned things lately? Ouch!
I bought this one about 1985 I don't remember where. But it's a real bell but it has an electro mag in it that throws a rod into the bell to ring it.

I know it's not the original of course so it's worthless I assume but it's pretty fun. I just ding dinged at one of my neighbors as I came into the street, if it's possible it's upped the smile factor of this little car. :D

Brian

#3,224 ·
Like that bell. Thoughts of the old days..

It snowed all night so I got started late.

Removed the last bolts that held the Stude body to the frame and Jockyed two cherry pickers front and rear of the body. UP she went. Fabbed a couple of saw horses from some old nasty 2x6 lumber. 3ft 6in high. and set the body on them. Lots of room to work under the body now.

Swap meet tomorrow

#3,225 ·
Had a friend bend me up some sheetmetal to fill in under the grille on my Falcon gasser project. Then I punched some holes for more cooling, and after that cut a big hole in the grille and mounted my "moon" style overflow tank.

Then I cut up one of the scrap grille bars and crimped it to the raw end cuts to tie them together:
Maybe one day I will have a car with a Moon tank. :thumbup:
That is one heck of a statement!

Brian

#3,226 ·
No Bermuda shorts but when you are driving a nerd car such as this (shhhhh, don't tell Marge) you can get away with murder!

I have been planning on putting this in the car when I had a few minutes time. I had to do it after my drive home today. You see I was at a stop light and looked over to see a little boy about 8-9 in the back of a car with the window down looking at me. He made a big smile and sort of waved at Marge. :D I think he may have been handicapped in some way, he was gesturing to Marge very different than you would expect. Anyway he waved at me and as his move drove off ahead of me (EVERYONE drives off ahead of me in the Rambler remember) I could see his l little hand up over his head still waving! LOL, and as they pulled into a left hand turn lane and I passed them there was his hand out the window waving. I wished I had the darn bell in there he would have gotten a kick out it.

Brian
Many people myself included would be proud to drive Marge,

#3,229 ·
Got out and fabbed up the rear wheelwells today. I like the fab work, but the grinding and cutting afterwards is painful! (literally!) Myglove took most the abuse from cutoff wheels, but they got through a couple times too!
Had to fab a filler piece between the inner and outter wheelwells, and then welded the Mercedes fender lips to the top to give a finished look.

Didn't like the look of the stock trailing edge on the lower opening, as the radius didn't remove it all. So I extended the filler down to the bottom edge of the fender drop, and then cut a filler panel to fit in the triangle area. Gives the opening a better look I think.

#3,231 ·
Didn't like the look of the stock trailing edge on the lower opening, as the radius didn't remove it all. So I extended the filler down to the bottom edge of the fender drop, and then cut a filler panel to fit in the triangle area. Gives the opening a better look I think.
The filler piece does look better than the factory line, but I would radius it at the bottom to eliminate the squared off 90°

#3,232 ·
Be sure to figure for tire growth at speed.

I used to work for a dragstrip and every few weeks we would see lots of tire smoke at the top end of the quarter mile. Entry had gone to larger tires/different offset etc. Rubs hard at higher speeds.

Even had one guy who swore that the track caused the huge grooves in his tires!!!

#3,233 ·
Changed the oil & filter in the wifes TSX.
Heater core for the Camaro arrived today, so installed that and now have heat.
Finished painting the seat mounts for the '38 and put the driver seat in to move it out of the shop.

As purchased;

Today. Final carpet fit and a sill plate left after I get the Vintage Air in;

#3,240 ·
I finally got my inner fenders and radiator cradle & bed final coat of primer blocked with 400last night ,we will be spraying color and clear today after breakfast ,cant wait to see some Red, I said we, should have said my son will be spraying ,im afraid to take the chance ,mabe soon doors and fenders.;)