Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,281 ·
I picked up a fuel filter and did a little changing to the fuel delivery on the Rambler. It has been running great then all of sudden I am getting a little "chugging" again at cruise. It's fuel I know that because when the choke is on it doesn't do it. It's leaning out at cruise. I was trying to figure it out with some different things I was checking and all of a sudden it was running perfect without me knowing what I did (this was a few weeks ago I don't remember if I mentioned it here). So I delve back into the same area that I was in last time and we will see. I was hoping to find the filter clogged or something but I cut it open and it was spotless, crap.

We will see tomorrow.

Brian
I know you have already cleaned the carburator ,I think twice ,but the lean condition at cruise or soft acceleration sounds like an transfer slot partially plugged ,could be wrong .:confused:

#3,282 · (Edited)
I know you have already cleaned the carburator ,I think twice ,but the lean condition at cruise or soft acceleration sounds like an transfer slot partially plugged ,could be wrong .:confused:
Could just be the total crap fuel we have today. Can you still get non-oxygenated fuel in CA ?? That's all I burn in my classic cars and lawn/yard tools with a carburator.....ended all my carb clogging/poor running issues. I still mix a small ratio of Sea Foam with the fuel too.

Wednesday, I put the doors and fenders on the Mustang at work. We got a new battery and I put 3 gallons of gas in it. Trickled a little in the carb and turned the key to see what would happen. The danged thing fired right off. After a couple more carb primings, it ran perfect !!! This from an engine that last ran 9 YEARS ago !!! I did spray a generous shot of Aero Kroil in the cylinders and turned it over a couple dozen times with a socket before I put it back in the body. No leaks in the fuel system either, every piece of which was replaced from the filler neck to the fuel pump.

I dug the head light and grill assembly out of the storage shed to discover the extension housings are junk. Ordered new extension assemblies. They should be here next Monday and then this car will be done and ready for the owner to pick up. The shop owner is pretty pumped that it is really going to leave after all this time....

#3,283 ·
Could just be the total crap fuel we have today. Can you still get non-oxygenated fuel in CA ?? That's all I burn in my classic cars and lawn/yard tools with a carburator.....ended all my carb clogging/poor running issues. I still mix a small ratio of Sea Foam with the fuel too.
You are correct on the quality of the gas ,here in Ga. we can buy 100% gas or 85 for newer cars the pure gas cost 70 cents more per gallon but it is the only way a small engine will stay running the E85 if it sits for a couple months the carb will stop up with a white powder and will not run if it does it is very poorly ,I have to run pure gas in all my vehicles with carbs, can run E85 in fuel injected engines I guess because of higher fuel pressures,:confused:

#3,284 ·
I think you are right, the thing is the problem was GONE and now it is creeping back just like it originally did.

The thing I had done to fix it was to run it up to the RPM that it was really chugging hard (it had gotten to a point that I couldn't drive the car any longer) and I closed off the choke almost all the way and it smoothed out, AHH HAAA, that tells me that it is leaning out and with the choking it is sucking more fuel in and richening up to run properly. Ok, so I did this a few times trying to figure out what I was seeing and I guess this pulled the junk out of the cruise circuit, that is all I can figure that got it running perfect again. The other thing I did was to pull the fuel hose off before the pump (dual action mechanical) and the fuel POURED out so it wasn't clogged or anything. Anyway, that is what I did those two things and WHAM the next day I start it up to check out much fuel the pump is pumping and the darn thing is running like a top!

So I start driving it and the last few days it starts that chugging again. I removed the filter from where it was before the pump and put it after the pump (a new filter of course) . I wanted it at a more accessible spot (though my nice steel fuel line sure looked better) and in case the fuel pump was the source of the crud in the carb. So today I will see. I ran it up and choked off the carb to clean it out (yes I have actually disassembled the carb and cleaned it out a number of times) and with the moving of the filter maybe I did something, heck I don't know. Give me a fender to fix I don't know crap at all. :sweat:

Brian

#3,285 ·
I think you are right, the thing is the problem was GONE and now it is creeping back just like it originally did.

The thing I had done to fix it was to run it up to the RPM that it was really chugging hard (it had gotten to a point that I couldn't drive the car any longer) and I closed off the choke almost all the way and it smoothed out, AHH HAAA, that tells me that it is leaning out and with the choking it is sucking more fuel in and richening up to run properly. Ok, so I did this a few times trying to figure out what I was seeing and I guess this pulled the junk out of the cruise circuit, that is all I can figure that got it running perfect again. The other thing I did was to pull the fuel hose off before the pump (dual action mechanical) and the fuel POURED out so it wasn't clogged or anything. Anyway, that is what I did those two things and WHAM the next day I start it up to check out much fuel the pump is pumping and the darn thing is running like a top!

So I start driving it and the last few days it starts that chugging again. I removed the filter from where it was before the pump and put it after the pump (a new filter of course) . I wanted it at a more accessible spot (though my nice steel fuel line sure looked better) and in case the fuel pump was the source of the crud in the carb. So today I will see. I ran it up and choked off the carb to clean it out (yes I have actually disassembled the carb and cleaned it out a number of times) and with the moving of the filter maybe I did something, heck I don't know. Give me a fender to fix I don't know crap at all. :sweat:

Brian
There are several products on the market to prevent this problem from happening ,I never used them ,I guess I just didn't belive in them ,but my truck 06 Silverado started surging when pulling my boat out at the boat ramp ,hard pull light throttle, so I put in a can of Z max 1 in oil 1 in gas ,it cured my problem after about 200 mi might not ever work again but it did this time,:thumbup:

#3,288 ·
I don't have a gauge to do it, so no I have not. I did run a hose into a can from the pump and ran the motor for about 10 seconds giving her a few med revs and it pumped about a half a pint of fuel. That is the only test I have done. I need to check the pressure, that friggin rebuilt pump may be it. The vacuum side doesn't work properly as the wipers still slow at throttle so there certainly could be something wrong with the pump it's self.

Brian

#3,289 ·
I just don't get why it comes and goes, this is the same gas that has been in the tank from before I parked her.
Brian
And THAT just may be the issue. Ethynol blended fuel needs to be agitated to keep the corn squeezin's suspended. By letting a car sit, for as little as a week, lets the ethynol start to settle to the bottom of the tank. If Sea Foam is available in CA, add a can of it to the tank and drive the car.

#3,293 ·
Just got finished removing the tines on the tiller of my tractor will have to go get I new one omorrow ,I have one missing, I used the snake oil mix I posted a couple weeks ago it worked on all but I bolt,1/2 " grade 8 bolts it has ben outside in the weather for about 12 years,was using a 4ft cheater bar, finally cut the heads off with a 4 in grinder, well the snake oil works Most of the time,LOL :D:D

#3,296 ·
A good weather day at last. More grinding, blasting and got a little primer on frame after rolling it upright. Front leaf spring brackets mounted and springs hung on one end. I still need to make front spring shackle frame mounts. Fitted side motor mounts. Started fitting an under floor mounted modern master cyl. Not much room under there.

#3,297 ·
Nuther wet drizzly day. My road is starting to look like those old model "T" bad road muck/mire shots from the late twenties.
This afternoon I grabbed some square tube and a piece of 1/2" thick wall pipe and made up two spring shackle to frame mounts.

All this wet weather is causing problems with my air system. Plasma cutters and moist air don't work well together.

Bolted the spring/shackle/mount assembly to frame about 5 pm.

#3,298 ·
Just to be clear that TIG gloves IS what I have being I have never TIGed in my life, here are my gloves and the difference. Click on the photo below to see a video.

Brian

Brian, Those TIG gloves are the exact same as what I have. I have also never had a TIG gun in my hand, but I sure do like the gloves. I weld mostly with 3/32" 7018 stick rod, and they are fine for that, as well as when I use my buddy's wire feed. Always use them grinding also. Sure saves on the shirt sleeves. :D Allan

#3,299 · (Edited)
Got the Falcon's trunk cleaned, wire wheeled, and painted. Then did a small rust repair on the lower trunk drop. Patched in a 1.5"x8" piece, as it was easier than cleaning and welding in the 8-10 small holes there. Then I traced out some blank off plates on scrap aluminum and cut them out with a jigsaw for my rear wheels.

And got a big surprise when I got up early Sun. morning! Some dirtbag had appraently tried to steal my '69 Suburban! I hit the alarm off button, and no beep. Hit it again, and nothing. Then I noticed the hood open about 8", and when I opened it up the battery pos. cable was off. Seems they tried to get around the alarm, but it goes into full alarm everytime you reconnect the battery, so they gave up and left.
I reconnected and silenced the alarm, then when I got home later I drilled the inner hood brace and added a chain and padlock to keep the dirtbags from getting the hood open next time.