Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#5,741 ·
I had a VERY hard time ,tried glass bead ,sand blasting ,air craft stripper,even took them to a commercial sand blaster ,they would not touch then ,he sais as well as it was adhered it would warp the metal,,so I sanded 4 days almost all day each day with 80 grit an a DA then epexy coated them for a base then did the regular prep ..Never again I will buy different panels before I would try that again.

#5,742 ·
Today my & I went (along with several of my car-club buddies) to the FINAL ever! public open house at a local car collection. Seems the owner passed away and his heirs are liquidating his estate. I have heard that the entire collection was sold intact, (and to a local buyer) so hopefully it will appear again somewhere

Cords, Auburns, early 30's Lincolns, similar aged Caddies, Including a V16 Cad!, plus a whole host of others. Packard limo's and Packard roadsters How about a Stutz Firetruck? And, of course, for contrast, a Crosley firetruck, from "Tinytown!"

A mint pebble beach type of restoration on a double overhead cam, supercharged Deusenberg, complete with thermostaticly-operated radiator shutters and headlights that steer along with the front wheels. (Sounds like the latest innovations from the 2014 models, doesn't it?)

Ever hear of a car called the Diana? 4 of them in this collection.

Early Mercedes, early Horch, and many other makes I had not heard of.

The very first "car' ever registered in BC - a Delion-Bouton 3 wheeler

Marmons, a Detroit Electric and a steam car of unidentified make.

My son used my camera and must have taken about 400 shots - now I gotta download them to the computer to see what I have.

#5,743 ·
you can get a cheap eraser wheel, get the dynabrade hub, and wire wheel, and make it work. It won't be as good but it will be a whole lot better than anything under $300.

Today I just did what I normally do, fix all the big dents. Annoying. Today was McGuiver day for me. I pulled out a badly damaged wheel well with a home made C-clamp turned into a wheel well clamp being pulled by a comealong hooked to a chain wrapped around a concrete door opening. That's not all of it. I had to place a porto power on the rail and the edge of the roll up door opening to hold the car still. Worked great though. Just used vise grips to move and keep the wheel well clamp in place being that there was only one stationary pulling point, the door opening!

#5,744 ·
I had a VERY hard time ,tried glass bead ,sand blasting ,air craft stripper,even took them to a commercial sand blaster ,they would not touch then ,he sais as well as it was adhered it would warp the metal,,so I sanded 4 days almost all day each day with 80 grit an a DA then epexy coated them for a base then did the regular prep ..Never again I will buy different panels before I would try that again.
did you try heating uo the undercoating with a propane torch with a difuser head or a heat gun then scrape it off with putty knifes? if its just undercoating it should scrape off clean to the metal very easily once its warmed up...

#5,745 ·
It is not under coating it is a rust proof type paint ,works very well it had ben brushed on entire underside of the truck the inner fenders under side of the hood and interior floor Before I bought it ,I am removing it as I am painting it red inside amd out and underneath,,The POR15 is great stuff for its intended purpose and I think it would require enough heat to remove it , it would probably warp the hood, I finally have it off and in primer probably go in paint Saturday':D:D
Thanks for the advise.
I bot it hot enough with heat gun it blistered the paint on the outside of the hood,but had no effect on the underside that I was trying to remove.

#5,746 ·
I got the passenger pillar all welded up last night. :D

And the top of the pillar where it looks horribly mis-aligned? That is the factory weld not mine. :drunk:

Brian

#5,747 ·
Looks really good Brian. First class.

Back in the early 90's when I was doing some customer work I had a 53 Ford F100 in the shop. It was unbelievable how poorly it was assembled from the factory. Even the drip rail where the ends came together over the windshield were off over an 1/8 of an inch. In those days pick up trucks were just tools. Strictly utilitarian and the quality control on the assembly line was nothing at all like the automobiles...and they weren't much to brag on.:drunk:

John

#5,750 ·
Today my & I went (along with several of my car-club buddies) to the FINAL ever! public open house at a local car collection. Seems the owner passed away and his heirs are liquidating his estate. I have heard that the entire collection was sold intact, (and to a local buyer) so hopefully it will appear again somewhere

Cords, Auburns, early 30's Lincolns, similar aged Caddies, Including a V16 Cad!, plus a whole host of others. Packard limo's and Packard roadsters How about a Stutz Firetruck? And, of course, for contrast, a Crosley firetruck, from "Tinytown!"

A mint pebble beach type of restoration on a double overhead cam, supercharged Deusenberg, complete with thermostaticly-operated radiator shutters and headlights that steer along with the front wheels. (Sounds like the latest innovations from the 2014 models, doesn't it?)

Ever hear of a car called the Diana? 4 of them in this collection.

Early Mercedes, early Horch, and many other makes I had not heard of.

The very first "car' ever registered in BC - a Delion-Bouton 3 wheeler

Marmons, a Detroit Electric and a steam car of unidentified make.

My son used my camera and must have taken about 400 shots - now I gotta download them to the computer to see what I have.
Oh yes, Do post pictures please!

Brian

#5,752 ·
Gave blood, went to cardiac rehab, Ate with the gang, (10 of us) and the good news. Won a chain drive garage door opener on Ebay with free shipping for 35 bucks.

I am going to start a thread on turning my bead roller into a powered unit with the garage door opener power head. It is gear reduction reversible 110v a/c. I think it will work well if I gear it right.

Hope you all will enjoy following along. Christine and Tim are coming for the holidays. I hope it is a project he will get a kick out of doing.

John

#5,754 ·
Gave blood, went to cardiac rehab, Ate with the gang, (10 of us) and the good news. Won a chain drive garage door opener on Ebay with free shipping for 35 bucks.

I am going to start a thread on turning my bead roller into a powered unit with the garage door opener power head. It is gear reduction reversible 110v a/c. I think it will work well if I gear it right.

Hope you all will enjoy following along. Christine and Tim are coming for the holidays. I hope it is a project he will get a kick out of doing.

John
You doing ok John?

Brian

#5,755 ·
You doing ok John?

Brian
Oh yes. Doing great. I had a mild heart attack in 2007 and was the recipient of 3 stents but I am fine. Even have a normal EKG. Barb and I just go twice a week to the rehab center at the hospital and work out. LOL, If I am going to have chest pains what better place than the hospital. :D As far as I know, I am 100% at this time.

Thanks for asking.:thumbup:

John

#5,756 ·
Well, when I bought this car, it smelled of coolant,so it was a tiny leak but wasn't loosing enough coolant to really bother.. but the other day the defrost wouldn't unfog the windows as they were getting a light coat of coolant, so couldn't put it off any longer..
In this car it's mighty easy, you remove the windshield washer bottle, the jack and donut(spare) a little plastic thing that holds the sunroof glass and air deflector, a few wires ,a relay, the hoses and unbolt the cover from outside the cabin, under what would be a engine compartment in most cars.
and then undo one bolt... As you can see at the bottom of core all the pine needles, there was more, so I removed the cowl vent screen and there was an older mouse "home" made mostly of the jute padding that's under the dash. no wonder the air flow sucked, it blows like a banshee now
008 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Found out while doing this that there is a light under the hood

009 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Mighty big core for a tiny car

010 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
The green should stay in the inside,

011 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
New core made in Mex-i-co, better than china

013 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr

Part # for non a/c cars

015 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
When I ordered it .. :be:
:an:

016 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Yup looks like it's the one.

017 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
All back together , I cleaned it up a tad while I was there..

018 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr

#5,759 ·
Picked up some goodies at the indoor swap meet yesterday in Albany, Or. A nice 2.5 hp 14" metal cutting chop saw with 4 blades for a whopping $25! Looks and runs like new, and I'll get plenty of use out of it! Also found a new pair of mirrors for my '69 Suburban to replace the ugly ones on it. Been looking for 2.5 yrs. for a pair that would fit and cover up the ugly holes some bozo did to mount the old ones. Lots of screws and holes done by someone, and then they finally decided on putting stainless hardware with nuts inside the door! Had to get my wife to come out and help me remove the old ones, as I couldn't reach both sides at one time.
The new ones covered everything on the driver's side, but one screw hole was outside on the pass. side, so I tapped the hole and put a SS allen head screw in it. Not much else I could do without messing up the paint.

#5,760 ·
I cleaned up my panels today to get ready to weld in the rear inner rocker. I sprayed the area that will be welded with Weld-able primer, taped that area off and brushed epoxy primer on them.

I did not realize how little it would take brushing it and have 80 percent what I mixed left over.

I posted on the SPI forum and asked if I dared to put the left over in a tightly sealed jar and place it in the refrigerator to keep it from kicking. It would be cool if Barry would offer his 2 cents. I doubt that he would condone such a thing but would be interested in his input.

John