Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#9,461 ·
Worked on the trailer all day long. Got a lot done but also back tracked and had to re-do a bunch and get into things I thought would be fine. After installing the holding tank and getting all that done the pump faucet didn't work, CRAP. And what really makes me go CRAP is that I have a brand new one somewhere and I can't find it so I have to go buy one.

Brian
Keep the receipt and don't open the package. Just set it on the counter and the one you have that is hiding will jump out and say "here I am"....:p

The quickest way for me to find something I've "lost", is to go buy another one..:rolleyes:

#9,462 ·
Keep the receipt and don't open the package. Just set it on the counter and the one you have that is hiding will jump out and say "here I am"....:p

The quickest way for me to find something I've "lost", is to go buy another one..:rolleyes:
Your lucky. My "hidden goodies" always waits to appear after I have ripped the packaging surrounding the "new" part to shreds, the dog has disappeared with the instructions, and my wife has thrown the recipe away with the comment "Oh, I didn't think you'd need that anymore."

BB :pain::pain:

#9,463 ·

So true, so true.:thumbup:

Brian

#9,464 ·
That's why I have 3-4 caulking guns, and so many scrapers, and other small inexpensive tools! If it's not too spendy I always give up quickly and go get another. Then the others all show up! Sometimes I think it would be best if I pretended I had it, and just started looking for a good place to store it. Then go look at that place and the others would be waiting there!

#9,467 ·
That's why I have 3-4 caulking guns, and so many scrapers, and other small inexpensive tools! If it's not too spendy I always give up quickly and go get another. Then the others all show up! Sometimes I think it would be best if I pretended I had it, and just started looking for a good place to store it. Then go look at that place and the others would be waiting there!
I know that feeling well.
I think the Big Guy has a warped sense of humor... :mwink:

#9,470 ·
My wife thought she'd help me the other day. We were headed out to breakfast in the Falcon, and I have some original old stickers and decals on the back side windows. The Lyons Dragstrip sticker was curling up on the edges, so she reached up and ripped the peeling half off!!!
To say I was speechless would be an understatement. She must have seen my mouth hanging open, and said, "What?" I told her that was probably a 40 year old sticker she just tore off, and she still didn't get it. I grabbed the sticker and put it in my shirt pocket. Glued it back on later when we got home.

#9,472 ·
Finished up one lower Quarter panel on a 63 falcon, Had to repair outer tub and change lower Quarter,, Now on to the other side...:D

Those trunk drops are a place they always rust out! I had to do repairs on my '63 Falcon in the same spot. But I drilled the inside and installed a drain tube at the low point to avoid having them ever accumulate moisture in the future.

#9,473 ·
Those trunk drops are a place they always rust out! I had to do repairs on my '63 Falcon in the same spot. But I drilled the inside and installed a drain tube at the low point to avoid having them ever accumulate moisture in the future.
Yes there is MANY dirt trap's on this car, I had to also change both torque boxes
on this car..It's a V8 hard top the whole torque box on both sides was rusted out..Inside and outside..

Also made all new trunk drop's..

Attachments

#9,474 ·
Yes there is MANY dirt trap's on this car, I had to also change both torque boxes
on this car..It's a V8 hard top the whole torque box on both sides was rusted out..Inside and outside..
Mine was very solid other than the pinholes in trunk drop, and small holes on floors in front where they angle up to meet firewall. Had two patches to install there to get floors solid.

#9,475 ·
Latest project is the roof on my '69 Burb. I've noticed the clear coat was failing, and lots of flaking going on up there. Since the lower paint looks pretty decent, I figured I'd strip the clear off, and make the Burb two tone with an off white roof.
Got up there to strip it and discovered more issues than paint! There are 4 spots that the paint has cracked in a circular shape! It appears the old Burb was an ambulance at one time in it's early life, and some knucklehead didn't properly delete the holes for emergency lights, and sirens!
I dug out the cracks today, and underneath was the beginning of rust creeping at the bad metal joint. The holes range from about 6"-7" down to 1.5", at 4 locations. After digging them out, I saw some previous owner had pop riveted sheetmetal underneath the hole, and then ground the stubs off the rivets on the top side. No sealer used, so moisture wicked under the paint and filler, resulting in the patch going bad. I ground them out and then hit them with rust neutralizer. After neutralizing them, I again ground the edges smooth, and tack welded the 4 fillers in, so they're permanent. After that I mixed up epoxy resin, and brushed the joints, just to ensure no pinholes would appear later and ruin the paint.
Just have to grind it smooth, and give a thin coat of filler to sand now. After that I'll prime and then decide which of the many white colors would go best with the metallic blue lower body.

#9,477 ·
Didnt get any work done today ,all driving,drove down to the east of Macon and bought another project like I needed another it is a 67FXE shovel Harley,runs and rides great just looks a little bad ,,don't think it has been washed since it was new,,,not a Rat bike just looks that way for now,,,cant take picture it is dark .I will get some tomorrow.:D

#9,478 ·
Didnt get any work done today ,all driving,drove down to the east of Macon and bought another project like I needed another it is a 67FXE shovel Harley,runs and rides great just looks a little bad ,,don't think it has been washed since it was new,,,not a Rat bike just looks that way for now,,,cant take picture it is dark .I will get some tomorrow.:D
Here you are out buying them and I am getting ready to take pictures of mine to put it on the market. If I don't get busy I will have to wait for spring to sell it.

John