Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#9,761 ·
They had a pump - just not a high pressure or volume one. When I was but a kidlet, my dad drove a '49 Chev, and it had enough of a pump to be able to use a partial-flow (hung off the side) oil filter with replaceable cartridge in it.
My '59 Chevy had one hanging from U-bolts on the intake manifold
I don't remember if my '61 truck (which I believe also had a 235) had one or not

#9,762 ·
They had a pump - just not a high pressure or volume one. When I was but a kidlet, my dad drove a '49 Chev, and it had enough of a pump to be able to use a partial-flow (hung off the side) oil filter with replaceable cartridge in it.

Believe it or not, Chev did not incorporate an oil filter into design of the inline 6's until 1961!
Dave is correct. The 53 straight shift had a 30 lb oil pressure gauge and the PG cars had a 60 lb gauge due to the different pumps.

John

#9,763 · (Edited)
Since there are a few Drivers Ex drivers and sales persons on this site thought I would post this, left the shop yesterday after a custom paint

might have to zoom as my camera or the operator don't work right.:thumbup:

Attachments

#9,764 ·
When I first bought my '57 Chev, it had a straight 6 in it. On my way home driving it, I stopped at Mr Lube for a quick oil change. The idiots there spent over an hour looking for the oil filter, begging me to show them where it was, and would NOT believe me when I kept telling them that it didn't have one!

On the same trip, I stopped for gas and the knucklehead pump jockey almost ripped off my rear license plate trying to find the gas filler - yet it was a bit obvious that it could not be behind the trunk-mounted license plate.

#9,765 ·
. And the 1955 265" V8 didn't come with an oil filter, but the '54 Chevy optional oil filter was made an option on the V8... they mounted it above the engine...

. I had a '66 GMC w/ 3-on-the-tree that I rebuilt the straight six on... glad it was the newer engine... if it had been the earlier engine I prolly would have torn my hair out after seeing what was inside of it... LOL!

#9,766 ·
LOVE those sixes guys! I got out to the garage a little last night though not to work on anything exciting. I did get these racks on my trailer and some tie down hooks too. I am going to my daughters house this weekend to get a gazebo she doesn't want.

Every time I get near this trailer I am forced to think of another project that I REALLY want to get done! :sweat: This was my dad's '55 F100 truck bed and frame and I want to do a quicky "restoration" on it but it doesn't happen. I want to make it the Mustang green it was when he painted the truck in '66.

I could knock it out in a few days, I really do need to get this done.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: wretched ratchet
#9,767 ·
Started preparing and loading for the drags today. The factory tires and wheels wont fit the rear axle, as the 8.8" axle stubs are too large for the center opening. Have to tow with my street cheater slicks, and swap the race tires when I get to the track.
Got my Moroso plug wires last night from Summit, and they goofed again! A good goof though, as I got Ultra 40 sleeved race wires for the Mag 40 price. That's a $42 savings, and this is the 2nd time in 2 months they've sent the higher grade plug wires for the lower price. Pulled the Accel wires off, and found two more that had been shorting to the headers. I'm done using Accel ever again. Cheap junk.
Getting the camping gear, tools, and everything together is tougher than just going racing, or camping. Takes twice as much stuff, but it will be loads of fun!

#9,768 ·
Every time I get near this trailer I am forced to think of another project that I REALLY want to get done! :sweat: This was my dad's '55 F100 truck bed and frame and I want to do a quicky "restoration" on it but it doesn't happen. I want to make it the Mustang green it was when he painted the truck in '66.

I could knock it out in a few days, I really do need to get this done.

Brian
I know nostalgia is strong but I would paint it the same color you plan for YOUR truck. Then you can pull a F*rd around with your Chebby, mon...;)

What to do when the driveshaft is too long ?????

CUT IT.......:D

I have a '70 Buick 8.5 under the GTO and the driveshafts are too long for that combo. I cut 1 1/2" out of the shaft today. Before anyone gets all bent, I only want to be able to drive the car around the yard and self load on trailers. I don't expect it will be balanced anymore but it IS pretty d@mn straight...:cool:

I set it up with a level and tried to cut SLOOOOOOOW enough that the blade wouldn't deflect, but it still did a little.

I drew the line to keep it in phase.

Clamped it on 4 sides to hold it straight.

I welded around in small sections as far as I could to the alignment braces and then finished it off.

I went over the high areas with the 2" sander to blend it some and then shot it with Eastwood Spray Grey.

#9,769 · (Edited)
Don't think I haveever saw one cut in the center.i know it is temporary ,

I have found it a LOT eaiser to cut the weld loose at the rear then slide the yoke out of driveshaft tube then cut off what I need then slide the flange of the yoke back in tube it will be straight this way ,,and by cutting the rear IF it were to break it want POGO you up in the air,

draw a straight line the length of driveshakt then you can correctly phase the Ujoints..
I know you already know this but some one might get some use out of this,:thumbup:

This test fit before paint ,I don't grind my welds .:thumbup:

Attachments

#9,770 ·
So I got a spare for my trailer from a total at work. I had to get an adapter being my trailer runs 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I got this very cool spare out of a little SUV that will be perfect with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I ordered an adapter from the tire guy we deal with at the shop and walked over to get it today, thinking about where to mount this spare on the trailer, it hit me on the way that the bolt pattern of the same as the Caravan I will be towing it with! WTH was I thinking? I have the spare on the van for both trailer and van. Then I thought, damn, what if I want to tow it with the Rambler (I have been looking to put a hitch on it) and it hit me, IT'S the same bolt pattern 4.5" LOL.

A good walk will help clear your mind.

Brian

#9,771 ·
Don't think I haveever saw one cut in the center.i know it is temporary ,

I have found it a LOT easier to cut the weld loose at the rear then slide the yoke out of driveshaft tube then cut off what I need then slide the flange of the yoke back in tube it will be straight this way ,,and by cutting the rear IF it were to break it want POGO you up in the air,

draw a straight line the length of driveshaft then you can correctly phase the Ujoints..
I know you already know this but some one might get some use out of this,:thumbup:

This test fit before paint ,I don't grind my welds .:thumbup:
With the driveshaft tapering down at the rear, I didn't have a way to keep it aligned. I know welding it back on the yoke makes it much stronger but this was the easiest thing for me to do. The new owner will be fully informed of the "temporary" status of it...:D

#9,772 ·
With the driveshaft tapering down at the rear, I didn't have a way to keep it aligned. I know welding it back on the yoke makes it much stronger but this was the easiest thing for me to do. The new owner will be fully informed of the "temporary" status of it...:D

Looks like you did a good job on the shaft ,I used a 73 chevy 454 long bed driveshoft ,that is why it is so big in diameter, ,it is what I had at the time,didnt want to go searching ,

#9,773 ·
I know nostalgia is strong but I would paint it the same color you plan for YOUR truck. Then you can pull a F*rd around with your Chebby, mon...;)

[/IMG][/URL]
Considering how much you had at the rear of the smaller diameter, it looks like plenty to work with. It's going to be pretty weak, and possibly fail with a joint weld in the middle. I use a chop saw also, but set it just in front of the weld, and cut through the outer tube. Then I rotate the driveline while it's cutting to just cut through the outer tube all around. Drive the yoke out, and cut the tube again, using the same rotating method to keep a straight cut. Then tap the yoke back in and leave 1/8" gap to get weld penetration.
I've made up many drivelines this way, and if I keep everything indexed, they stay in balance, and never break, even under tough launches at the drag strip. I've even had to drill spot welds out of weights to get enough room to shorten a driveshaft, and then weld them back in at the same indexed point afterwards, and they stayed in balance.

#9,774 ·
The engines, transmissions and rear end have gone to their new home.

I got back to work on my support at the B pillar today.

It is supposed to have a heat index of over 100 here tomorrow. I suspect by the time I get back from the Cleveland Cruise I am going to be too hot to want to go to the basement but i hope not. Glad to be back to work on it though.

John

#9,775 ·

I have a '70 Buick 8.5 under the GTO and the driveshafts are too long for that combo. I cut 1 1/2" out of the shaft today. Before anyone gets all bent, I only want to be able to drive the car around the yard and self load on trailers. I don't expect it will be balanced anymore but it IS pretty d@mn straight...:cool:

I set it up with a level and tried to cut SLOOOOOOOW enough that the blade wouldn't deflect, but it still did a little.

I drew the line to keep it in phase.

Clamped it on 4 sides to hold it straight.

I welded around in small sections as far as I could to the alignment braces and then finished it off.

I went over the high areas with the 2" sander to blend it some and then shot it with Eastwood Spray Grey.

I'm not sure how many I made,, But only tryed your way once...Very hard to get it right that way,, I cut the yoke off close to the end then take off what I need, Turn down the yoke in my lathe, Slip it back in, Line it up, Weld it just like it came...never had to have one balance yet... Good luck,, Good job putting it back together..;)

#9,776 ·

Attachments

#9,777 ·
. New yokes are cheaper than paying someone to cut and machine off the old yoke, so local shops just use a new yoke...

. I would have cut the shaft near one end... by cutting in the middle, any slight unstraightness/tension at the weld is magnified at the far ends...

#9,779 ·
#9,780 ·
470merc marine

cleane 2 heads and refaced valves and seats.(the heads are hp460 ford heads)
frend has a crew boat with 2 of these engines.huge valves no guide wear. the 4cyl short blocks are a bit scarey,alum block with cast sleeves that are cast into block,but they seem to work well in his aplication. I enjoy working on odball stuff. next asembling 292 yblock for ?? next project