Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,001 ·
I don't think Tarpon have any teeth, so worst thing that could happen is a bruise from biting down on his arm.
I'm quite certain he has done this before and knew exactly what he was doing. Most people would panic and try to get it off their arm. He hooked his left arm thru the gills and hauled it up on the dock. This is a deliberate maneuver, not a freak accident.

#10,003 · (Edited)
Got my front clip back on truck after installing new engine,had to change radiator ,the hoses on the reverse rotation pump is smaller diamator filled with Oil and primed pump with priming tool and checked it after installing 5 quarts,didnt show any oil on dipstick ,,you guessed it 4 quarts in floor under truck :evil::evil::evil:
Just throwed some oil dry under truck and came to the house,,check it in a day ir two,

Before and after
Found and repaired the oil leak today,notice top of exaust manifold in 1st picture it has ,,had ,4 ridges across the top they were tall enough to keep valve cover from going flush with the head to seal,,these centerbolt valve covers have a lip that the old style didnt have

also cut some patch panels and got screws in but not welded,,probably will just tack them around outside perimenter as I am thinking of spraying bedliner over complete floor because it is a work truck ,Dump truck will see a lot of mud and dirt,,,ANY ONE EVER TRIED THAT ,how did it work,:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

#10,004 ·
#10,008 ·
Decided to address the E brake on my Falcon gasser. I originally tied it into the stock operating handle, which pulls straight back, with no leverage. Haven't been able to set the brake without hauling on it with both hands, and pushing against the floor hard with both feet! Even then it never set well, and the car could roll on a steep incline.
I headed over to the pick n pull this morning, in search of a E brake lever assembly. Found a Ford Aspire E brake that was pretty easy to remove, and sat flat on the floor. I unbolted it, and cut enough of the old brake operating cable to ensure I could mate it to my cables from the 8.8" Ford E brake.
I tried several places to situate it in what would be considered "normal" locations, but none worked well. I finally ended up putting it on the left side of the driver's seat, between the rollbar door bar, and the door. It's easy to reach down left handed to set it, and it's tucked below the rollbar tube, so not snagging my pants on it as I exit the car. Drilled two mounting holes, and a hole for the cable, and bolted it down. Spliced the new E brake cable to the cables on the 8.8" Ford rearend. Adjusted the nut on the end, and then rolled the car down the driveway backwards to see if it stopped. All worked great, and the pull is so much lighter than the factory E brake operator was!
Just need to fab a cover, or sew up a boot to cover the mechanism now, so it looks cleaner.

#10,013 ·
Decided to address the E brake on my Falcon gasser. I originally tied it into the stock operating handle, which pulls straight back, with no leverage. Haven't been able to set the brake without hauling on it with both hands, and pushing against the floor hard with both feet! Even then it never set well, and the car could roll on a steep incline.
I headed over to the pick n pull this morning, in search of a E brake lever assembly. Found a Ford Aspire E brake that was pretty easy to remove, and sat flat on the floor. I unbolted it, and cut enough of the old brake operating cable to ensure I could mate it to my cables from the 8.8" Ford E brake.
I tried several places to situate it in what would be considered "normal" locations, but none worked well. I finally ended up putting it on the left side of the driver's seat, between the rollbar door bar, and the door. It's easy to reach down left handed to set it, and it's tucked below the rollbar tube, so not snagging my pants on it as I exit the car. Drilled two mounting holes, and a hole for the cable, and bolted it down. Spliced the new E brake cable to the cables on the 8.8" Ford rearend. Adjusted the nut on the end, and then rolled the car down the driveway backwards to see if it stopped. All worked great, and the pull is so much lighter than the factory E brake operator was!
Just need to fab a cover, or sew up a boot to cover the mechanism now, so it looks cleaner.
Damn I Love seeing a roll bar in a car, never had one in my life. I hope to get going soon on my sons Alpine, that will get one.

Brian

#10,014 ·
It might be if the hydraulic brakes fail...:pain:

Looks OK there. Now way to get it between the seats, eh ??
It could fit between the seats, but since it's a 4 speed car, it's better on the left side. It's mostly for starting the car on a hill, so I can push in the clutch, work the throttle, and not start rolling while I'm busy with both hands and both feet. :)

#10,016 ·
I love them too Brian! My last three cars I've put them in, and I like the extra level of safety the rollbar gives, plus being able to hand my shoulder harnesses from the cross bar too.
There is NOTHING that says "HOTROD" more than climbing over a roll bar brace to get in! :thumbup:

Brian