Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,021 ·
Brian are you getting closer to start back on the truck , I am very much wanting to see it with the top chop doors hung with those windows,,that is one thing I wish I had done to my truck ,I really like that ,:thumbup::thumbup:
I am not sure when, I think it will be another month or so. My current project is rolling along.

Brian

#10,024 ·
wow! Nice work there! I have an arch like that and a fireplace mantel just like that in the background.
Thanks Henry, and just like with sheet metal fab if you don't have a few attempts thrown in the scrap pile you aren't doing nice work....LOL Last weekend I made an arch, after standing back and seeing how bad it looked I took the hammer and removed it. Started over with a different plan and got one that is to my liking. It's funny how skills learned with cars is helping me yet at the same time it's KILLING me because houses are FAR from as precise as cars. I have to back off over and over so I don't go overboard. Things like gaps between a patch panel and a quarter on a car, we were just talking about this here making "perfect" butt welds. Joint compound will take car of gaps as large as a door gap on the house! :spank:

It's hard to look at things that way after working on cars all my life!

The guys who do this have mad skills I don't and I have to make up for it working harder!

Brian

#10,025 ·
Yea the home projects get done first,or should some times I slip,:D
looking good I like those door ways.
Yeah it has one on the same wall so I went with it. It had a door bell arched cubby as well that I hated to see go but it was right where this pathway was going. The house also has one in the hall way for the phone! Yep boys and girls a house like this in '47 had ONE phone, and this one was in the hallway. I have kept my eyes open for years looking for a dial wall phone to put there :mwink: but never see them for a price I feel comfortable with. Kills me, I remember seeing them at the thrift stores for a few dollars.....not anymore!

Brian

#10,026 ·
I decided I MUST get one of those phones so I put a bid on a cheap one on ebay. You can see the spot on the wall where one use to hang. I really need to put one there again (right where a plaque is hanging now) And the funny thing is it has the OLD four pin plug right below it.

You young guys have probably never seen one of these!

Brian

Attachments

#10,027 ·
re-using skills

I worked at a company that made electronic products, they used a 16 x 20 inch circuit board (it was a long time ago), the circuit tester used vacuum to suck the board down to make contact with test probes. It wasn't working and the test engineer said they needed another $ 15 K vacuum pump system. I ask the tech if it worked on the other large boards. he said Just fine. I took the fixture in the shop and Ported the vacuum pasageways, In the next meeting I said I just did what you did to a Ford flat head engine. to get it to run faster .

#10,030 ·
Yeah it has one on the same wall so I went with it. It had a door bell arched cubby as well that I hated to see go but it was right where this pathway was going. The house also has one in the hall way for the phone! Yep boys and girls a house like this in '47 had ONE phone, and this one was in the hallway. I have kept my eyes open for years looking for a dial wall phone to put there :mwink: but never see them for a price I feel comfortable with. Kills me, I remember seeing them at the thrift stores for a few dollars.....not anymore!

Brian

Will a dial phone work with your phone service? Mine wont work with a dial type phone.

#10,031 · (Edited)
Not sure what the problem was, but wondering if that pass. side intake gasket was askew when you pulled the intake? Considering it just came off, I wonder why I see signs of rusty areas in the lifter valley?
I think what you are seeing is rusty water from inside the block as it has been sitting a couple of years,
the gasket is still glued in place and will not move ,I will have to remove and scrape it clean ,I think it slipped when intake was installed it has not been started since it was changed over from fuel injection,

Attachments

#10,032 ·
Will a dial phone work with your phone service? Mine wont work with a dial type phone.
Hmmmm, I don't know, CRAP. But honestly, even if it didn't work I would like to have one there to show the kids who come into the house what it was like. Though they will NEVER "get it". Isn't wild the different world it is today when it comes to communication?

Brian

#10,035 ·
Brian, that phone and the Frig Door cluttered with magnetic stickies sure brings back some great memories. :thumbup:
Unfortunately now that the fridge will kinda be in the living room I am thinking it needs to be de-cluttered.

Brian

Reactions: wretched ratchet
#10,038 ·
I could just clean it up some and not be so crazy with it. I am going to have some serious realignment of photos as it is being where the new path way is use to have about 25 of my most cherished vacation photos.

Brian

#10,040 ·
why all the plywood? sheetrock and skimcoat for that plaster look

i have a turn of the century home
when i added a bathroom in an upstairs dormer i used a closet and part of another bedroom for the space
i made a couple arches to cover up ceiling height differences
this arch might work better in your pass thru than a half circle

this is one of the oem arches from my living room into the dining/kitchen