Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,402 ·
I was at the old salvage yard looking for 69 P/u frame yesterday and I ran into a car I've wanted for years ...a 69 Javelin talk about lipstick on a pig some idiot even painted the bumpers...I want the car bad but the guy says 5,500 ... its orig motor and 4spd but it sure has a lot of bondo stuffed in rust holes from a quick look,I might have to go up there one more time just to make sure how bad it really is...The purple SS metalic paint mkes me want to hurl....
I went and got the frame today then got it all tore down, ready for the blaster

#10,403 ·
Wednesday I pulled the clutch master cylinder and line from my truck and put it in a vise. Was hoping I could mess around with the line and fix the problems. No go. So today after work I get to go buy a new line at Oreilly's and hope I can fix my clutch.

Reason being Mom's car has crapped out. A 2007 dodge caliber apparently is good for alternators going bad. It was just the ADP pulley noise, but wednesday the battery light came on, so I assume it is now time to replace the alternator. When the money is there to buy a new one. Been looking up the job, and it looks like fun a nice way to spend a day off.

The truck is hopefully a cheaper/easier fix. I am really hoping to not need to replace the slave cylinder. The truck is a 4wd so I would also get to pull the transfer case too. I know the line is bad, so hopefully that is it.

SO my Friday evening plans include bench bleeding the master cylinder and line. Then reinstall and pray it all works. May have to bleed the slave some too, but I am hoping that is it.

#10,409 ·
Sometimes when you own a Ford you just have to build your own parts ;) .
I've been wanting to install an under dash Vintage Air system on this 64 Fairlane I recently purchased, but after many hours of searching for the pulley arrangement I needed, I've finally just given up and built my own.
All I needed was a double groove water pump pulley to match up with the two forward grooves of my OEM three groove (has ps also) balancer pulley. do you think Ford, or aftermarket, makes such a thing? He!! no. that would just be too easy, so I cut one "groove" off of a chrome pulley I had laying around and welded it onto the existing single groove pulley that was on the car…. walla. the perfect pulley.
This is only the second Ford I've every owned…… and the more I work on it, the more clearly I remember why that is.

Russ

#10,411 ·
I've been wanting to install an under dash Vintage Air system on this 64 Fairlane I recently purchased, but after many hours of searching for the pulley arrangement I needed, I've finally just given up and built my own.
All I needed was a double groove water pump pulley to match up with the two forward grooves of my OEM three groove (has ps also) balancer pulley. do you think Ford, or aftermarket, makes such a thing? He!! no. that would just be too easy, so I cut one "groove" off of a chrome pulley I had laying around and welded it onto the existing single groove pulley that was on the car…. walla. the perfect pulley.
This is only the second Ford I've every owned…… and the more I work on it, the more clearly I remember why that is.

Russ

Yep, I've done the same, or even stacked pulleys under each other to make up multiples. But there's also the Chevy optional engine so many Ford owners use! ;) I opted for that in my '63 Falcon. :)

#10,412 ·

Russ
Kinda thinking by your comment that it might be your last one too.

I owned a few in my 20's, one I bought spankin' new....

I'm much older and wiser now...:D

#10,413 ·
Kinda thinking by your comment that it might be your last one too.

I owned a few in my 20's, one I bought spankin' new....

I'm much older and wiser now...:D
Ha ha. ya never know. actually I got this one in a trade for a T bucket. wasn't a car I would otherwise have gone out and bought. I will say……. it actually isn't a bad driving car however.

Russ

#10,414 ·
Today I put in a new clutch line. Bench bled the master cylinder and line. Got it good and firm. Slave cylinder is bad. So instead of watching football tomorrow I get to drop the tranny and put in a new slave cylinder. I may start some of it tonight like maybe drop the starter and some of the other stuff. The fun part is that there is also a transfer case. But on the positive side it means I don't have to jack up anything to get under there and have room to work.

#10,416 · (Edited)
Well at least your not in back of Orielies parking lot broke down somewhere in tenn. replacing a master, slave and line with borrowed tools after waiting 24 hrs for it.good thing we had a running car on the rollback and I sure am glad I have a commercial account with them here in Ga. its good up there too and they went way out of their way to help...Good people up there in Tenn...:thumbup:
and as a plus my uncle and I got to have lunch with the infamous "John Long" while waiting (he's still talking about his awesome interior work)....after going to missisippi and all the way back to Augusta with two cars on it the dang the line blew again 1/2 mile from my shop at a busy intersection we had to get pulled across the street (with a chain) and drove the rest of the 1/2 mile at a mere cost of 375.00 ...It was kind of funny explaining I need a tow for my tow truck with two cars on it....Once I got a good look I found a missing exhaust bolt blowing hot exhaust on that plastic clutch line...problem solved...

#10,419 ·
Belive it or not I've been planning on making one for the past couple years ,good thing I never mentioned it to the wife....shes still hounding me about the ceder closets.... I only have one (almost done) me and my big mouth,that stuffs expensive 300.00 each...
The funny thing was we went to look at an RV and the guy said its even got ceder lined closets......when I said we dont even have them in our house...the look I got would turned most Normal men to stone....I thought it was funny.:spank: all the way hame...me and my big mouth..