Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#11,084 ·
The first set of aftermarket new fenders my buddy got for his '67 Camaro fit like they were made for a Ford Pinto. :smash: :eek: :evil: He had to pay a little more but the ones he put on fit right . :thumbup:
When I was rebuilding my '71 Camaro, I needed to fix the passenger front fender, as I nosed it in an accident. I figured I'd be putting a cowl hood on also, so why not do both front fenders, so the chance of aftermarket fitting would be better. I bought both front fenders, hood, upper valance, and radiator support all from the same supplier.
The fit on every part was absolutely horrible, and even holes that mated to each other were so far off that when I bolted the fenders to the upper valance they were 1/4" off from flush. The tabs to mount to the fenders to the firewall were so far off that I couldn't even see the hole through the huge 3/4" hole in the fender bracket! I had to hog out holes, and cut tabs off and relocate them in order to make it all fit.
Then I closed the hood and when I pushed down to latch it, the hood dented in with the pressure of my hand! I had to cut out the support on the back and weld a thing steel sheet behind the hood latch area to enforce the hood and prevent it from bending when I latched the hood after paint!
No matter how bad the original metal is, I'll do whatever it takes to straighten it before I buy aftermarket ever again!

#11,086 ·
Found that fitment problem w a China door for my 79 Bronco build, had to cut 1/4" from door handle up all the way to top of vent window then weld the door back up to make it fit, never again. learned a leason the hard way, cheap is cheap.:nono:
The big problem is they're not always cheap, and not off brand name products. Even the best name brands are being made in China. My crumby fitting pieces were OER brand, and I got them because they were supposed to be better.

#11,093 ·
For any one that has nothing to do today ,,think about one of these ,, no electricity or hydraulics,:D:D

The DIY Car Lift for the Practical Mechanic’s Garage! | Muscle Horsepower
. Yeah, that would be safer than a pit... poisonous fumes couldn't collect in it...

. Don't know why they worry about the pivot point... that's never going to wear out...

. Build it in bolt together 8' sections and it could be moved/stored in bed of a pickup truck... add a winch to pull unrunning vehicles up onto it...

. Disadvantage, can't raise a vehicle up and store another one under it...

#11,094 ·
. Yeah, that would be safer than a pit... poisonous fumes couldn't collect in it...

. Don't know why they worry about the pivot point... that's never going to wear out...

. Build it in bolt together 8' sections and it could be moved/stored in bed of a pickup truck... add a winch to pull unrunning vehicles up onto it...

. Disadvantage, can't raise a vehicle up and store another one under it...

The winch is a good idea.

#11,095 ·
A good news/bad news story:

I took the 59 BelAir over to my upholstery guy (Gregs) yesterday to make final decisions on color and pattern, then ordered the (two shades of tan) materials. I'll be replacing the material I previously put on the console, as it's just too dark against the paint I used. when I arrived at Gregs I had a number in mind that I was willing/able to spend for the job, but the good news is that I was able to get a lot more done for very little more than my previous budget allowed. now I'm also getting all new headliner with insulation, new windlace, cover package tray, cover kick panels, recover console, and recover arm rests. with those things added to the recovered seats, door and 1/4 panels, it comes to $2,700.00 . I guess it's "go big or go home", so I'm going big. :cool:

The 8 mile drive over to Gregs was about as far as I've been able to drive the car since I started this project last February, so I was able to give my smile muscles a pretty good workout on the way over. the "bad" was that, about 2 miles from arriving back home, the fuel pump decided to give up the ghost. I was able to coast right into a big parking lot, so I was out of the way, and called my wife for a rescue. it was so close to home that I ended up just using the tow strap and she pulled me home in shame.
I had been skeptical of the TRE inline fuel pump I used on this build, for some reason, and I guess my fears were justified. apparently ya do get what ya pay for. a new Walbro 255 is on the way however.

Russ

#11,099 ·
What a deal ,, are you covering these items your self or having him do them.i would have thought that with the size of your interior it would have been much more, I would be hard to do a pickup for those prices,:D
Greg is doing everything. I did tell him I'd R&R the kick panels and console for him, and I have the door and 1/4 panels, etc, all fabricated and ready to be covered.
Greg is the local go-to guy for hot rodders in this area. he's been in town doing upholstery for many years. works out of a canvas "shop" next to his house summer and winter. he's a true craftsman and we're lucky to have him for sure. :thumbup:

Russ