Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,644 ·
Thanks! Yes, just interior and paint, plus a few minor details. It has a correct date code 1968 427 in it, with Super T10 four speed, and narrowed, tubbed 12 bolt, and 4 link. Plus CPP brake system, with drilled and slotted 4 wheel 12" rotors and disc brakes. QA1 coilovers all around.
Sounds like a dream car. Now if only it was NOT a ragtop, I might have been interested (depending on price)

#12,646 ·
I've owned a couple of topless cars.

Drive down a tree-lined street and the flicker of sunlight/shade drives me nucking futz! They are noisy, they leak, the wind noise drives me around the bend and they rattle. (and those are just the good points!)

My son seems to have inherited this view - he now has a Miata as his "toy". He bought a hardtop for it and that hardtop has never been off since.

#12,648 ·

Drive down a tree-lined street and the flicker of sunlight/shade drives me nucking futz! They are noisy, they leak, the wind noise drives me around the bend and they rattle. (and those are just the good points!)

My son seems to have inherited this view - he now has a Miata as his "toy". He bought a hardtop for it and that hardtop has never been off since.
I personally don't care for convertibles, or for that matter hardtop cars. (not convertible hardtops) My preference has always been 2 door sedans, as I love the solid feel, sound, and lack of wind leaks, or noise that a hardtop has.

LOL, Now there is one typical drag racer and one guy who doesn't even like to eat on the patio! :mwink::mwink::mwink::mwink:

John

#12,651 ·

So funny how different we all are. Been around them all my life and love that top down feeling. I am being a little more conservative with my Gran Sport these days, after all the work I put installing the top I don't put it up and down as I once did. But with the old top, 25 years ago when I was driving it all the time, I am not kidding you, when I turned the windshield wipers off is when I put the top down. :D

Brian

#12,652 ·
Funny convertible story. My mom always had one, though she never, ever, ever put the top down. That was for me and my dad when we went somewhere with it. Or me when I got my license, that suckers was down when I left the house. It was a '68 Impala when my dad bought it about '74, it had 13K original miles.

So one day I am out driving it, and it's about to rain, and I had to get home anyway being my mom needed the car to go somewhere. I pulled into the driveway as I put the top up then went into the house. My mom walked out a few minutes later as the rain started coming down. She hopped in the Impala and drove off. Next thing you know I am hearing a horn BLOWING in the driveway, HONK HONK HONK HONK I looked out to the living room window to see my mom sitting there in the Impala with the top down and rain falling on her! OMG I hadn't locked the header clamps and the top went down as she drove when the air got under the front of it! :pain:

I ran out there and it was raining hard! I said "You never put the top down and choose to do it now?" She didn't think it was funny. But she was an angel and allowed me to put the top up and she was on her way without any kind of big deal. I love you mom, and miss you. :(

Brian

Attachments

#12,653 ·
feeling a little discouraged right now due to too much sanding at work, I need metal! Going to the metal supply store to get some square tubing to make a better stand for my bead roller. It will be good tig practice and will get the same gauge as the round tubing I will use on the bikes so it will be light but also great practice for my frame builds. I also might get some unistrut, conduit for spacers, washers and threaded rod for the frame jig. I'd like to get those coned inserts for the head tube and bottom bracket but they are expensive and will push forward. Don't need any discouraging issues at the moment. Then it's basketball. I hate to miss The Warriors game but I'm glad to have seen the last game. What a come back for the history books.

#12,654 ·
Funny convertible story. My mom always had one, though she never, ever, ever put the top down. That was for me and my dad when we went somewhere with it. Or me when I got my license, that suckers was down when I left the house. It was a '68 Impala when my dad bought it about '74, it had 13K original miles.

So one day I am out driving it, and it's about to rain, and I had to get home anyway being my mom needed the car to go somewhere. I pulled into the driveway as I put the top up then went into the house. My mom walked out a few minutes later as the rain started coming down. She hopped in the Impala and drove off. Next thing you know I am hearing a horn BLOWING in the driveway, HONK HONK HONK HONK I looked out to the living room window to see my mom sitting there in the Impala with the top down and rain falling on her! OMG I hadn't locked the header clamps and the top went down as she drove when the air got under the front of it! :pain:

I ran out there and it was raining hard! I said "You never put the top down and choose to do it now?" She didn't think it was funny. But she was an angel and allowed me to put the top up and she was on her way without any kind of big deal. I love you mom, and miss you. :(

Brian
still got the flattie??

#12,655 ·
feeling a little discouraged right now due to too much sanding at work, I need metal!
ha ha. You want to start hating sanding then do a 59 BelAir project. the panels are measured in acres instead of sq ft.. sand for metal work, sand for epoxy, sand for filler, sand for more epoxy, sand for top coats, sand the runs and bug snuffle off the clear coat……….. it's been a couple months now, so I'm doing the final cut and buff. averaging one panel per day, and so far I've done the top, the hood, and "cut" half of the trunk lid. Ya… I hear ya' about sanding.
I vow to NEVER AGAIN build a car this big.

Russ

Attachments

#12,657 ·
still got the flattie??
That was my brothers, it's long gone. After that we built an interesting flatty on a soft tail frame where we cut off the fender mounts and ran them under the fender and put a pogo stick seat running the top of a '40's frame a master cylinder under the frame with the brake cable going down to it, all that stuff hidden so it looked like an old bike but with more modern function. It was a damn nice bike.

That one is gone too. He has an interesting project now, a Crosley powered bike. His "Theme" is if Crocker would have continued in business into the 50's they would have made this inline four machine. It's looking pretty cool.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#12,658 ·
ha ha. You want to start hating sanding then do a 59 BelAir project. the panels are measured in acres instead of sq ft.. sand for metal work, sand for epoxy, sand for filler, sand for more epoxy, sand for top coats, sand the runs and bug snuffle off the clear coat……….. it's been a couple months now, so I'm doing the final cut and buff. averaging one panel per day, and so far I've done the top, the hood, and "cut" half of the trunk lid. Ya… I hear ya' about sanding.
I vow to NEVER AGAIN build a car this big.

Russ
The size of the car does make a big difference doesn't it!

Brian

#12,659 ·
feeling a little discouraged right now due to too much sanding at work, I need metal! Going to the metal supply store to get some square tubing to make a better stand for my bead roller. It will be good tig practice and will get the same gauge as the round tubing I will use on the bikes so it will be light but also great practice for my frame builds. I also might get some unistrut, conduit for spacers, washers and threaded rod for the frame jig. I'd like to get those coned inserts for the head tube and bottom bracket but they are expensive and will push forward. Don't need any discouraging issues at the moment. Then it's basketball. I hate to miss The Warriors game but I'm glad to have seen the last game. What a come back for the history books.
Can you believe I got side tracked when they went to break with 3 points to go and a few seconds on the clock! I didn't know what happened until the next morning! :spank:

Brian

#12,660 ·
That was my brothers, it's long gone. After that we built an interesting flatty on a soft tail frame where we cut off the fender mounts and ran them under the fender and put a pogo stick seat running the top of a '40's frame a master cylinder under the frame with the brake cable going down to it, all that stuff hidden so it looked like an old bike but with more modern function. It was a damn nice bike.

That one is gone too. He has an interesting project now, a Crosley powered bike. His "Theme" is if Crocker would have continued in business into the 50's they would have made this inline four machine. It's looking pretty cool.

Brian
I would love to have seen that Crosley finished ,

Super Nice Flattie:thumbup::thumbup: