Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,661 ·
I would love to have seen that Crosley finished ,

Super Nice Flattie:thumbup::thumbup:
David, that flattie was a REAL nice bike. He collected so many NOS and Army Surplus parts it would blow you away at how much of that bike was brand new. It was one of the best, the undersides of the fenders looked as good as the top. It rode real nice too, I forget what he did to it but as I remember it was ported and relieved and had bigger valves. It actually had a decent cruising speed. The next one really was a hot rod, I'll try to find a photo of it. When he sold it the guy sent him a photo of his bike back in the seventies and this thing was an unbelievably scary twin, it was like my brother built it with the photo the guy had. The guy was thrilled to get it I'll tell you that.

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#12,662 ·
Marge is back on the road, whoooo hooooo! Got the hub on and re-torqued the other side too. Of course I don't know if it's at 250lbs but I figure with me standing on a 2ft breaker bar jumping on it, that's good enough. It's in way tighter than it was, that I know. But she is back on the road, tomorrow I will be driving across the bay over to Half Moon Bay out on the ocean for the Dream Machines show, cross your fingers for me.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#12,663 ·
ha ha. You want to start hating sanding then do a 59 BelAir project. the panels are measured in acres instead of sq ft.. sand for metal work, sand for epoxy, sand for filler, sand for more epoxy, sand for top coats, sand the runs and bug snuffle off the clear coat……….. it's been a couple months now, so I'm doing the final cut and buff. averaging one panel per day, and so far I've done the top, the hood, and "cut" half of the trunk lid. Ya… I hear ya' about sanding.
I vow to NEVER AGAIN build a car this big.

Russ
Nice, nice, nice. I love '59s.......... Dad has one in the back of his property(120 acres) upside down. It was there when he bought the place in the mid 70s. Full of bullet holes, basically a mess. What a shame. I took the Impala badging off it and keep it in my workroom.....

#12,664 ·
ha ha. You want to start hating sanding then do a 59 BelAir project. the panels are measured in acres instead of sq ft.. sand for metal work, sand for epoxy, sand for filler, sand for more epoxy, sand for top coats, sand the runs and bug snuffle off the clear coat……….. it's been a couple months now, so I'm doing the final cut and buff. averaging one panel per day, and so far I've done the top, the hood, and "cut" half of the trunk lid. Ya… I hear ya' about sanding.
I vow to NEVER AGAIN build a car this big.

Russ
I love the '59, especially because it's a sedan! But it's also gorgeous too!

#12,667 ·
Funny convertible story. My mom always had one, though she never, ever, ever put the top down. That was for me and my dad when we went somewhere with it. Or me when I got my license, that suckers was down when I left the house. It was a '68 Impala when my dad bought it about '74, it had 13K original miles.

So one day I am out driving it, and it's about to rain, and I had to get home anyway being my mom needed the car to go somewhere. I pulled into the driveway as I put the top up then went into the house. My mom walked out a few minutes later as the rain started coming down. She hopped in the Impala and drove off. Next thing you know I am hearing a horn BLOWING in the driveway, HONK HONK HONK HONK I looked out to the living room window to see my mom sitting there in the Impala with the top down and rain falling on her! OMG I hadn't locked the header clamps and the top went down as she drove when the air got under the front of it! :pain:

I ran out there and it was raining hard! I said "You never put the top down and choose to do it now?" She didn't think it was funny. But she was an angel and allowed me to put the top up and she was on her way without any kind of big deal. I love you mom, and miss you. :(

Brian
Hey! Mom was cool!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#12,668 ·
BB, my dad had that '55 F100 (the one my brother now has) with a 364 Buick in and she would drive us in it often. One time at a stop light, with a big 15" orchard ladder in the bed even, the light turned green and she nailed it racing the guy next to us! LOL She was something else, and the sweetest never a swear word from her mouth lady.

Brian

#12,671 ·
BB, my dad had that '55 F100 (the one my brother now has) with a 364 Buick in and she would drive us in it often. One time at a stop light, with a big 15" orchard ladder in the bed even, the light turned green and she nailed it racing the guy next to us! LOL She was something else, and the sweetest never a swear word from her mouth lady.

Brian
Did she beat him?

#12,672 ·
Did she beat him?

Yep

I made it out to the coast, what a great day! Marge performed flawlessly of course, she is always there for me. :D

Brian

Attachments

#12,674 ·
Went to Madison WI for 3 days for the M-I-L's 96th birthday over the week end!!!!

Today I will be busy with yard work. SPRING has sprung here. I need to root drench a bunch of trees against Japanese beetles and Ash Borer. Then I need to do the first clean up cut with the lawn tractor.

Last evening when we got home, I moved the Impala out of the shop and swapped out the wife's snow tires for the summer ones. I need to wash the wheels I took off, deflate the tires to 20# and get them back up on the storage rack.

I already called Summit about returning some parts and I will be boxing them up today too.

#12,676 ·
Went to Madison WI for 3 days for the M-I-L's 96th birthday over the week end!!!!

Today I will be busy with yard work. SPRING has sprung here. I need to root drench a bunch of trees against Japanese beetles and Ash Borer. Then I need to do the first clean up cut with the lawn tractor.

Last evening when we got home, I moved the Impala out of the shop and swapped out the wife's snow tires for the summer ones. I need to wash the wheels I took off, deflate the tires to 20# and get them back up on the storage rack.

I already called Summit about returning some parts and I will be boxing them up today too.
96! Happy birthday to her!

Brian

Reactions: Too Many Projects
#12,678 ·
Busy day, I got the wife's winter wheels washed and dried in the sun. Then I dropped the air pressure to 20 psi and drug them up the ladder to the storage rack.

I had soapy water left so I backed the Impala out and washed that too. It had black mold dried on it. Must have been stored outside with a tarp over it at some point in the past.

Then I mowed the yard for the first time. It is just a clean up cut, left a little high. We are way behind on rain too so I didn't want to cut it too short.

Then my neighbor brought his tandem axle dump truck over. He bought aluminum wheels for the rear but the studs are too short. He needed me to remove one to get longer studs. That entails removing both wheels and the brake drum. In the process of that, I discovered that his slack adjuster is seized and no longer working and the grease seal in the hub had failed. The brake shoes are saturated with gear oil. He'll be buying more than just 40 new studs. THEN he says it pulls really hard to the right when he applies the brakes. I said that sounds like an issue in the front brake, so I go up there and discover the bracket that holds the slack adjuster on the left front brake is broken right off !!! At that point, I told him to take it home, which is across the street, and don't even THINK about driving it until we get all this repaired. If he had an accident with his brakes that messed up, he would be in jail and lose everything he owned.

After that detour, I mixed up root drench and treated 4 trees in the front yard. Now I'm gonna sit on my butt for a few hours...:D

#12,679 ·
I went thru the same deal on my Freightliner ,I put aluminum wheels on the front and Outside of the rear ,had to buy different lug nuts for rear also ,,the nut for aluminum wheel has a different taper on the face where it seats in yje wheel ,,later added 4 inside wheels ,Yep had to buy them again lugs are different for dual aluminum Vs 1 steel and 1 aluminum

the seat for steel wheels are flatter,,alloy wheels have a raised taper on face
I am sure you know that ,,just passing info in case any one needed it .:thumbup: