Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,761 · (Edited)
I heard all about that "I'm an adult now" crap last year too.

My reply was, you are still in school and completely dependent on us for food, clothing, housing and health insurance. We have a say in what you do. He was pretty good about honoring that until he left for collage last August. I can tell this summer will be different...:pain:
Yes I could do that, but every kid is different. I have four kids, they are each their own person. There are times when I simply have to tell them "learn from it" and move on. He's a smart kid, I sure made similar mistakes. I hung out with some really screwed up guys, got into trouble.

Brian

#12,762 ·
Yes I could do that, but every kid is different. I have four kids, they are each their own person. There are times when I simply have to tell them "learn from it" and move on. He's a smart kid, I sure made similar mistakes. I hung out with some really screwed up guys, got into trouble.

Brian
I think we've all been through similar things with some strange dudes at our younger days. It depends what road we take when we hit the crossroads. Your son and his friend are very lucky.

Russ
Later gator

#12,763 ·
Here's that rack I made for my creeper on my box. Only one problem....with all my measuring and everything I missed one tiny little issue, the lid hits it when you close it! LOL What a dork, I'll have to cut the lip of the lid a little.
But I love how it works for me, that creeper was always a pain, not now.

Brian

Attachments

#12,764 ·
It was 83 degrees here today and I was excited to drive the roadster to the cruise in at the Sonic. WRONG!!!g

I turned the key, let the gauges cycle, hit the starter and one loud click later the entire electrical system was dead....No big deal, I have a loose or corroded battery cable connection..... WRONG!!"

Check the voltage at the starter solanoid and have 12.43 volts. The kicker is, the battery is under the floorboard, Has insulation and carpet over it and the sill plate holding the carpet down. Three hours later I am back from the auto parts store with a new battery but don't have time to trim the mounting tangs of the case to make it fit.....

You guessed it. Drove the truck to the Sonic.

I did take this picture of this really cool nailhead Buick motor for the Martin Brothers. :D:D:D

John

Attachments

#12,766 ·
It was 83 degrees here today and I was excited to drive the roadster to the cruise in at the Sonic. WRONG!!!g

I turned the key, let the gauges cycle, hit the starter and one loud click later the entire electrical system was dead....No big deal, I have a loose or corroded battery cable connection..... WRONG!!"

Check the voltage at the starter solanoid and have 12.43 volts. The kicker is, the battery is under the floorboard, Has insulation and carpet over it and the sill plate holding the carpet down. Three hours later I am back from the auto parts store with a new battery but don't have time to trim the mounting tangs of the case to make it fit.....

I did take this picture of this really cool nailhead Buick motor for the Martin Brothers. :D:D:D

John
I did the same thing on the battery mount ,so I hard wired a Battery tender to the Hot wire on my alternator works great and don notice the little plug when charger is disconnected :thumbup:

Missing the Cruises

#12,767 ·
I did the same thing on the battery mount ,so I hard wired a Battery tender to the Hot wire on my alternator works great and don notice the little plug when charger is disconnected :thumbup:

Missing the Cruises
I know you are missing the cruises for sure. I also know this is a great time to be doing a little horse trading and I'll bet you are missing that too.

Once you get well enough to spend a few hours in the car, grab the wife and take the scenic route to Chattanooga. Barb and I will buy you guys lunch. At least that will get you out and about for little while.

John

#12,768 ·
I know you are missing the cruises for sure. I also know this is a great time to be doing a little horse trading and I'll bet you are missing that too.

Once you get well enough to spend a few hours in the car, grab the wife and take the scenic route to Chattanooga. Barb and I will buy you guys lunch. At least that will get you out and about for little while.

John
Sounds Great we would love to ,,as soon as I can ,as of now I cant ride that far without my foot swelling and turning really red. :thumbup:

#12,769 ·
Sounds Great we would love to ,,as soon as I can ,as of now I cant ride that far without my foot swelling and turning really red. :thumbup:
It depends on the red though, a nice flame red with some white pin striping maybe?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, prayers are still coming your way.

Brian

#12,772 ·

John
You can never have too many Nailheads to look at. :D

Brian

#12,776 ·
I bought another 4 post lift today too. It is wider and taller than the other one so the camper will fit under it. I need to stack another car to keep a shop stall open.
I am looking for a four post lift that I can use in my basement to stack cars. So far, my 8 foot ceiling has prevented any of the standard models from working. :mwink::mwink:

I started tearing the '95 Silverado down to replace the compressor, drier, orafice tube, as well as the high and low manifold and lines. I was blessed to have my friend Rodney come around 10:00 o'clock this morning to nelp. At 5:00 we finally had the system evacuated and it has been holding the needle pinned against the 30 lb vacuum for 3 hours. I am optimistic we are on the road to success. I was surprized to find how good it was behind the grill which had to come off to replace tne high pressure line.

Hope to gas it up Thursday but we are tied up tomorrow.

John

Attachments

#12,778 · (Edited)
You could just cut a hole in the ceiling of the garage--it would make a great conversational piece to have an old car in the middle of the living room :D
I was thinking about making a raised area upstairs. Then make the elevated area created upstairs into a really big King sized bed.

The only problem will be the bed being in the kitchen. :drunk:

John

#12,779 ·
I am looking for a four post lift that I can use in my basement to stack cars. So far, my 8 foot ceiling has prevented any of the standard models from working. :mwink::mwink:

I started tearing the '95 Silverado down to replace the compressor, drier, orafice tube, as well as the high and low manifold and lines. I was blessed to have my friend Rodney come around 10:00 o'clock this morning to nelp. At 5:00 we finally had the system evacuated and it has been holding the needle pinned against the 30 lb vacuum for 3 hours. I am optimistic we are on the road to success. I was surprized to find how good it was behind the grill which had to come off to replace tne high pressure line.

Hope to gas it up Thursday but we are tied up tomorrow.

John
You could always dig up your floor a couple of feet?? Lol
Russ
Later gator

#12,780 ·
I was thinking about making a raised area upstairs. Then make the elevated area created upstairs into a really big King sized bed.

The only problem will be the bed being in the kitchen. :drunk:

John
Sounds like a time saver to me John. Those midnight trips to the fridge would be eliminated. Just reach over and open it up. And just think, breakfast in bed would have a whole new meaning!

BB :thumbup::thumbup: