Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,901 ·
I forgot I had a For Sale ad for my Corvair on here. I just got a reply from an anxious buyer...:D

"I want to purchase your 1966 Corvair is still available for sale? What is the last asking price,I will like to pay using PayPal,After payments has been made,I will arrange for the pick-up and will you let my courier agent to come to you house for the pick up because i don't want you to worry yourself about the shipment,Kindly get back with more pictures."

I'll get back with this scammer right away...:rolleyes:
It did remind me to remove the ad.

#12,902 ·
Yea I would get right back with him ,,lol:D

I have got several of these ALL from Craigslist;
one was for a Harley Heritage that I forgot to list the price,,he dodnot even ask the price ,only difference ,he said he was in Iraq and wanted his dad to pick it up ,but payment details were the same, a couplr wanted to send a money order,SCAM

#12,903 ·
Last night Nick and I got out there and "removed" the panel on the front of the Alpine. I say "removed" because it can't come out as one piece as I planned, so we are going to split them up, which works better anyway because we can make the inner one where the rad mounts from scratch exactly as we want and it will look a lot better. Noticed some damage I hadn't seen that removing this will expose it to repair easier so it's all good. Nick does these things pretty damn good, he really is a natural,wish he had some passion in it.

Last night on my evening walk I found myself on a street over by the high school I went to. First time I have ever walked over there and a memory popped into my head. When I was 17 or so when I took off the used car lot my dad was managing a 340 "Slap stick" Cuda. Oh yeah, I had open season to any car I wanted off the lot every Saturday when I went down there and worked with him. I would pick a car off the lot to drive home and take it out on Saturday night! My God my dad was awesome, luckily he didn't pay for it with me stacking one of those cars up!

This street I was on last night, I went around the corner sideways, over corrected, sideways, over corrected, sideways, over corrected and slid right up to the curb with the front tire just tapping it. LOL Came very close to knocking one of those wheels off the car that night!

Damn did I have an awesome childhood!

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: John long
#12,904 ·
We got those panels out and I have a brilliant plan (if I may say so myself :mwink: ) to make these panels bolt in. There is some serious buckled up parts up there we will need to take care of. But the first thing, I want to see that motor in there! I am thinking the 5 minutes a day is working great, we are getting something done.

Check out the engine compartment now, oh yeah baby we can stuff some motor in there now! :D

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 123pugsy
#12,905 ·
We got those panels out and I have a brilliant plan (if I may say so myself :mwink: ) to make these panels bolt in. There is some serious buckled up parts up there we will need to take care of. But the first thing, I want to see that motor in there! I am thinking the 5 minutes a day is working great, we are getting something done.

Check out the engine compartment now, oh yeah baby we can stuff some motor in there now! :D

Brian
Don't get spoiled. You can't expect everything to be accessible like that panel was. :D:D:D

John

#12,907 ·
i know some of u guys followed my xr250r rebuild and paint , its the same bike i wreck at 70mph riding up the mountian pass and broke my collar bone and also seprated it from my shoulder.

anyways i worked on it a lil bit today and threw my go pro on my helmet , i need to jet the bike really bad as its jetted for sealevel so it runs pig rich here at 6500ft above sealevel , not to mention really down on power

#12,908 ·
Don't get spoiled. You can't expect everything to be accessible like that panel was. :D:D:D

John
Yeah, I know, there are a few others up front that are mashed and rusted and seagull poop weld covered, and you can't get to much of any of it.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#12,911 ·
More light work on the trailer.
All the side markers were badly faded and dim, although amazingly, they did work. This is a 1959 trailer.
I was able to track down the last few replacement lights last fall. Good thing I bought them then, as they are no longer available today...:(
I installed them today and made a minor modification to the rears.
As seen in this pic, the rears faced forward.

I think someone at the factory put them on the same as the fronts and they should have been reversed for the light to shine back. This pic is showing there is little light to the rear.

When I installed the new lights, I turned the rears around.

Now there is much more light to the back, where it should be.

Much brighter now.

I like how the lines in the lens creates this shell pattern...:cool:

I love it! Someone else who is messing with old campers too! Do you have any interior pics? I am just finishing up the restoration (rectification?) of a 1968 Rancho El Rae camper myself. Planning on heading out for the first outing next weekend. Anyway, have you checked with Vintage Trailer Supply for your lights? They have a repro of those marker lights available, and replacement lenses too. I used them on my Rancho, the bases are thin aluminum, but the hole spacing was almost dead-on for my destroyed original plastic base lights. Lots of good, hard to find stuff there. I have ordered MANY things from them. Great service, and quick shipping.

#12,912 ·
More light work on the trailer.
All the side markers were badly faded and dim, although amazingly, they did work. This is a 1959 trailer.
I was able to track down the last few replacement lights last fall. Good thing I bought them then, as they are no longer available today...:(
I installed them today and made a minor modification to the rears.
As seen in this pic, the rears faced forward.

I think someone at the factory put them on the same as the fronts and they should have been reversed for the light to shine back. This pic is showing there is little light to the rear.

When I installed the new lights, I turned the rears around.

Now there is much more light to the back, where it should be.

Much brighter now.

I like how the lines in the lens creates this shell pattern...:cool:

"Clearance lights" aren't for others to see from the rear, that's what taillights are for, but for the driver to see how close the sides of the trailer are to things from the side mirrors. Maybe that's why they were installed the way they were.

Harpo

#12,913 ·
"Clearance lights" aren't for others to see from the rear, that's what taillights are for, but for the driver to see how close the sides of the trailer are to things from the side mirrors. Maybe that's why they were installed the way they were.

Harpo
In a commercial application, the lights are required to be seen from the rear for oncoming vehicles to determine the overall width of the trailer. They are required to be as high as practical too to indicate overall height. After 28 years as an O/O, I would rather following traffic be able to see them than me.

#12,914 ·
More ladders and scrubbing

My house has white siding (I think) (So far as I can remember anyway)
We live in an area where it rains all winter and algae grows on everything
So, come springtime, my house is mostly grey, with black & green accents

So - ladders & scrub brushes and soap and pressure washers and etc time again

#12,915 ·
In a commercial application, the lights are required to be seen from the rear for oncoming vehicles to determine the overall width of the trailer. They are required to be as high as practical too to indicate overall height. After 28 years as an O/O, I would rather following traffic be able to see them than me.

You're probibly right I didn't think of it that way.:thumbup: Maybe they didn't either when that trailer was built.

#12,917 ·
#12,920 ·
LOL, 2 years this month as far as the car goes. :drunk:

The other side is not as bad but not good either.

John
What are you doin' takin' pics of the right side...:nono:

Get back to welding and GRINDING the left....:p

I FINALLY decided to upgrade my internet speed from 1.5 to 7 megs. I have Century Link and they are the ONLY phone company in this area. Talk about a monopoly. It took 2 DAYS and 2 HOURS on the phone to finally get someone who knew what they were doing to get it switched...:mad:

Good grief, how hard can it be to accomplish that ??? The last guy got it done in about 15 minutes...:drunk:

Century Link sucks.:rolleyes: