Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#13,221 ·
Ain't life just plain grand? :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:
Nope.................................it's Wunnerful....wunnerful...wunnerful.....

Great job of the channel patch John. Sweet.......................nah...................Wunnerful!

#13,222 ·
Wunnerful day today. Wunnerful, wunnerfull.

Jumped off the 454 I bought a few months ago. It has been sitting for several months. Not only did it fire right up but there wasn't so much as a lifter click when it started even a hint of smoke. I believe that is a dandy motor.

I also replaced the belt tensioner on my Silverado for the second time in 6 weeks.

Thirdly, I now have my weatherstrip channel about 80% finished.

Fourthly, I dug out and rinsed off 5 '53 hubcaps I am sending to our friend Brian.

It truly was a wunnerful day today. Wunnerful, wunnerful. :)......... Ain't life just plain grand? :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

It's too wonderful for words! I thank you so much for the caps, will be out there getting some cleaning done (digging out the truck) so I can get back to it in the next coming days. It's hotter than a two dollar pistol here! (I could use one of my dad's metaphors but they are XXX rated. :D )

Ain't life grand, God yes! Last night I went out to the swankest restaurant in town for my wife and my 24th wedding anniversary. Been there once before, about 25 years ago when I was trying to impress her. :D

But honestly, spent Saturday in SF with her in North Beach a wonderful Italian district with too much wonderful food to mention! Got my blood test done on Saturday morning and the results say I have gotten my numbers down to normal, is life grand, damn right!

Nick got his drivers license yesterday, he is doing well, I have another grandbaby on the way (a boy) OMG is life grand! My daughter is having fun decorating her room I made for her, she is having such fun and I am having it watching her. Is life Grand, OMG yes it is!

Brian

Reactions: John long
#13,224 ·
I have a ~35 ft Boxelder tree I wanted removed for a couple years now. It was crowding the Maple I planted next to it, so today I cut that sucker down...:D

I limbed it out and piled the brush on the trailer and hauled it to the compost site.

Came back, cut up the trunk and moved the pieces to the shop driveway as FREE wood, come and take it away...;)

#13,227 ·
worked on changing a tire today , took 5 hours just to remove the wheel , can ayone quess what it was on ?
anyways we had to resort to a sawzall and torch , ill post some pics when my phone charges a lil
An old farm tractor that the rim hasn't been off of for 40 years.

Now you need a stump grinder, Mitch...
That's next...:thumbup: I will cut it down as low as possible to save time with the grinder. I have another stump up by the house too, so I will try to get them both in the 4 hour rental.

#13,231 ·
That is a Very dangerous wheel to change the tire on ,I hate changing them :evil::evil:
I wont change one any more I will take to tire store with a cage and pay a few bucks so I don't have to take the chance

no place around here with a cage , we grab the other loader or the backhoe and set the bucket down ontop of it when we fill them just incase

still dangerous but the bucket of the machine over it makes it a good bit safer

#13,232 ·
Picked up my block and rotating assembly from the machine shop. They had to cut .0013 off of one side, and .0016 off of the other to get me where I wanted to be as far as deck height is concerned. He said that my block was actually in good shape dimensionally, the cuts were pretty even front to back on both sides. Now to get it back on the stand, clean it good, and start assembling.

#13,233 ·
worked on changing a tire today , took 5 hours just to remove the wheel , can ayone quess what it was on ?
anyways we had to resort to a sawzall and torch , ill post some pics when my phone charges a lil
Don't tell me it was a Dodge with left hand threads and you were turning them the wrong way.
Sure was hard figuring out how to get that wheel off when we were young and tipsy....I never should of hit that curb.

#13,235 ·
That's next...:thumbup: I will cut it down as low as possible to save time with the grinder. I have another stump up by the house too, so I will try to get them both in the 4 hour rental.
Shouldn't be a problem unless the rental is an hr away........... :)
Very nice looking lawn. Looks like a lot of grass to maintain......:eek::sweat:

no place around here with a cage , we grab the other loader or the backhoe and set the bucket down ontop of it when we fill them just incase

still dangerous but the bucket of the machine over it makes it a good bit safer
Over 30 years ago we put the wheels under a lift. Spent a couple years working at a gas station.... Used to pour Coke on beads that wouldn't break....We had a guy come in with a split rim that was really low on air. It blew when he filled it. Ended up in the hospital, but was alright....Thankfully.......

#13,236 ·
Shouldn't be a problem unless the rental is an hr away........... :)
Very nice looking lawn. Looks like a lot of grass to maintain......:eek::sweat:

Over 30 years ago we put the wheels under a lift. Spent a couple years working at a gas station.... Used to pour Coke on beads that wouldn't break....We had a guy come in with a split rim that was really low on air. It blew when he filled it. Ended up in the hospital, but was alright....Thankfully.......
I cut a little over an acre of grass ~55,000 sq ft. I was in a losing battle with the dandelions, clover, creeping charlie and plantain for a long time, but now that I'm retired, I dumped several hundred dollars worth of weed control and fertilizer on it this year. It's looking MUCH better and the frequent rain has helped prevent it from drying out and going dormant, for now. August is usually the worst month for that. The down side is, I'm cutting every three days or I get hay field windrows...:pain:

I've worked with split rims for years. I've had lock rings that were so bent out of shape from people prying them off the wrong way, that they won't come close to locking. A little patience and common sense went a long way to preventing explosions. I would clamp the rings with vise grips and then inflate to 10#, gently tap the ring to be certain it was locked and add another 10#'s. At that point, the ring is either locked or not and if not, out came the air and I would get more vise grips...:D SO FAR, I've never had a failure...:sweat:

#13,239 ·
new toy

just bought a late 60's era rupp mini bike, haven't had one of these since high school. 50 years ago. found it in the next town at a guys vw garage. paid $150 for it. going to take it all apart the re-do -it. I hope i can get the motor to work. I can ride it around my parking lot if i don't fall off and break something. :D

Attachments