Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#13,701 ·
What did I work on? Well - this actually yesterday, but

It involved an Owwie, Owwie, Owwie!

Went to put a battery charger/maintainer on my (for sale) 4Runner
Put the charger down on hood of son's li'l jeep while I went for an extension cord.
Found that a bunch of wasps had set up their home in the jeep and I had disturbed them.
Wearing a t-shirt, I got stung 6 times in about one second. 3 on left hand, 2 on right hand, one on right arm near elbow
In case you couldn't guess, wasps are not my all - time fave critters on this planet.
Luckily, I am not allergic or things could have been REAL serious as I was home alone at the time.

Went to the store, explained my issue, they asked what kind of wasp killer spray I wanted and I told them I want the kind that leaves a giant mushroom-shaped cloud!

Nuked the nests (3 of them!) last night and they're all gone now - sure was a lot of bodies laying around this morning!

#13,703 ·
What did I work on? Well - this actually yesterday, but

It involved an Owwie, Owwie, Owwie!

Went to put a battery charger/maintainer on my (for sale) 4Runner
Put the charger down on hood of son's li'l jeep while I went for an extension cord.
Found that a bunch of wasps had set up their home in the jeep and I had disturbed them.
Wearing a t-shirt, I got stung 6 times in about one second. 3 on left hand, 2 on right hand, one on right arm near elbow
In case you couldn't guess, wasps are not my all - time fave critters on this planet.
Luckily, I am not allergic or things could have been REAL serious as I was home alone at the time.

Went to the store, explained my issue, they asked what kind of wasp killer spray I wanted and I told them I want the kind that leaves a giant mushroom-shaped cloud!

Nuked the nests (3 of them!) last night and they're all gone now - sure was a lot of bodies laying around this morning!

the good brake clean has always worked well for me , for those really tough ones u can beat gas and a match lol

but then again when i see bee's i run and scream like a girl as i am highly allergic , i will say running away has worked well for me i havent been stung in many years lol

#13,704 · (Edited)
This stuff i used makes a foam that covers the entire nest and poisons the li'l bastiches

Seems to work well, and you can zap the nest from 10 feet away, so it is LOT safer than a lot of the junk out there. Found 2 more nests in the wheelwells of my travel trailer today - so I nuked them, too.

Scream like a little girl and run (and toss my man card away) is my usual thing when I find wasps, hornets and other sting-y thingies, but bumble-bees and I have a mutual peace pact - which is lucky because we have a LOT of flowering plants around and they love to come and collect nectar. They buzz around to warn me off. If I still stay, they come and bump into me ("are you paying attention?") By then I have split, so it doesn't come to all-out war.

#13,707 ·
Crazy three days around here. I found a new foundation guy late last week and they showed up Wednesday to pour the footings. The guy phones me late the same afternoon and tells me they're coming Thursday morning instead of Monday for the foundation. I had to rush to set up the dozen sono tubes and cages so they could fill them up on Friday AM. They'll be back Monday to strip the forms. Hopefully, I can start to get some sleep again. Been going to work a 2 and 3 AM for the past three days.

Attachments

#13,709 ·
never good when it's cool all week when you work then shoots up to 100 all weekend. :D One of those weekends. Looks like I'll start making a list for home depot to get materials to make my frame jig so I can finish off my bike frame. Real simple jig.

On Monday, I guess The Good Guys do some tour stops on the way to Pleasanton and they are stopping by our biggest customer's chrome shop, which boasts a nice car collection, some fantastic fabrication(whole bodies in raw metal) from the kid at Phantom works so we'll take off from work and join them. Sounds fun. Next year they stop at our shop, and have before.

#13,710 ·
Crazy three days around here. I found a new foundation guy late last week and they showed up Wednesday to pour the footings. The guy phones me late the same afternoon and tells me they're coming Thursday morning instead of Monday for the foundation. I had to rush to set up the dozen sono tubes and cages so they could fill them up on Friday AM. They'll be back Monday to strip the forms. Hopefully, I can start to get some sleep again. Been going to work a 2 and 3 AM for the past three days.
Where did I miss you firing the original crew ???

Looks like this one means business...:D

I started a part time job at Menard's this week. Early morning stock boy. Up at 4:20 and to work at 5 am. Done at 9 am, so I have the whole day to work on other stuff...:cool:
If I save all my earnings, I'll be rich in 40 years..:rolleyes:

#13,712 ·
Where did I miss you firing the original crew ???

Looks like this one means business...:D

I started a part time job at Menard's this week. Early morning stock boy. Up at 4:20 and to work at 5 am. Done at 9 am, so I have the whole day to work on other stuff...:cool:
If I save all my earnings, I'll be rich in 40 years..:rolleyes:
Firing is inaccurate, more like cancelled the order.

It's a good thing I didn't let them pour the footings. The guys doing it now wouldn't pour on someone else's footings and it would have been a 4 week wait and then strung along another few weeks. Just like leaving your rod at a body shop to be painted....:pain:

#13,713 ·
Firing is inaccurate, more like cancelled the order.

It's a good thing I didn't let them pour the footings. The guys doing it now wouldn't pour on someone else's footings and it would have been a 4 week wait and then strung along another few weeks. Just like leaving your rod at a body shop to be painted....:pain:
Sounds like the "Pugsy Luck" has changed for the better and you made the right choice to switch...:thumbup:

#13,717 ·
And without a good solid foundation you'll have problems down the road. My late father in law and brother in law were cement masons and when my brother in law poured the foundation for my garage, 28' by 30', he went down 2 ft and it's 16 inches wide and full of rebar. The floor is around 6" thick to boot. Yours is looking really good.
Thanks.

18" x 8" footings with rebar and 10" solid walls with rebar every 16" vertically and horizontally.