Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#15,261 ·
So... the top pic or the bottom one?

JK. Ha. I bet you'll like this 64 Imp SS then. Bare fresh painted bodies are candylike. I did the dash with DBC with hardener added, the rest is same as the exterior, clear and all.

I sure don't miss fixing rice. If you get many chances to work on Benz bodies from the late 90s or newer, well those always amazed me at the amount of forethought that went into their designs... to make things less ridiculous for a bodyman. Alas, any specific model not experienced previously is a guessing game. In other words, after this one, all your Supra front bumper jobs that year will be easy. Ugh. Those things are made for Japan-sized hands, drives me nuts. It was Eclipses I hated most.
Yeah the paint on the truck that is what I am talking about. The Mercedes bodies are fine, it's all the trim and what not that is goofy. And that Impala, YES that is how a car should be done! You can't always I understand that, for one reason or another, mine sure aren't like that. But when doing a "show car", that is what it should look like.

Brian

#15,262 ·
Aw I know you knew I knew what you were talking about lol. A guy can only sell what they're buying on any given day. Few can afford to fix everything and I can afford to fix nothing, so job pics will have to do. We can dream!

#15,263 ·
What did I work on today? Well, I haven't gotten out to the garage today, but at work....oh the fun.

Tell me, is it an international law or something, maybe with the Geneva Convention? There has to be some kind of agreement with all the countries of the world that if the car is labeled a "sports car" it has to be difficult to work on and parts have to be expensive..yeah right? :sweat:

Taking the bumper off this Supra, it is living hell, unlike every other Toyota made. I am not exaggerating in the least, I could have had a Model A top chop half done in the time it took me just on the front bumper of this car! :evil:

Brian
Hmmm, They come right off with the tow truck:eek:

#15,264 ·
I bet you'll like this 64 Imp SS then. Bare fresh painted bodies are candylike. I did the dash with DBC with hardener added, the rest is same as the exterior, clear and all.
Daumn that is nice. Plenty of floor pan work done on that one too. My '62 Imp needs some pan, brace and inner rocker repair at the first support.

I WISH I could have the underside of my '66 Chevelle done that nice when it goes back on the frame this spring...:(

Can I just bring it down there and pick it up when it's done ...;)

#15,265 ·
ALRIGHT...Photobucket is back up and working better...new pics to bore everyone...:D

I finished the cab work on the '65 F100 this week. Seam sealed all the joints and painted with Rustoleum primer. The owner will have it painted "someday". He's already 4 times deeper into this for cost than the truck is worth, so it may be a while. Lots more process pics on the build thread.

#15,266 ·
Hey that rustoleum primer looks like a good pick considering those circumstances. It's fixes like that which just restore or improve integrity that float my boat. The sticker shock wears off but the repair does not, and seeing your customer once again enjoying their ride confidently later is your bonus. Thanks for showing the fix.

Sure am glad the bucket is back up. One acct is at 70% full and the other 90 so its been nice to put some here. Still not clear on what goes where here, and I must have run out of gallery room on the 41 truck. But the Imp job is fully documented in a PB folder so I'll put those somewhere for you to look at. Doing a thread works best for me. Keep your eyes peeled on that. Obviously it was a full two piece floor and there was it's share of rust, worst in trunk and wiper plenum.

Warm temps again today... 69 GP has 3/4 tank... Must adventure somehow. Damn I clicked the wrong smiley and can't chop it out with this tablet..:welcome:

#15,267 · (Edited)
Weather man saying near 70 today instead of te teens -30 we had last week ,so I will go down to the shop and move some cars around got to get two cars out of the front,

Had to post this ,not work related ,but was a lot of work:D:p:thumbup:

I especially like the last line

Attachments

#15,268 ·
This is what I did yesterday. I drove this in the shop at 10:30 am and started disassembling it at 12. By the time my friend, John got there at 1, I had the bumper off and all but 4 bolts out of the clip and the cooling system drained. Once he got there, we made quick work of removing the hood and clip and got to work getting the engine/trans out. He left at 3:30 and by 4 the engine was on the stand...:D

I'm keeping the rear wheels too, so today I swapped a couple wheels and tires around that I am letting go with it. I also sprayed the entire front with degreaser and cleaned everything up some. When I go back out now, I'll remove the complete exhaust and swap out the wheels.

The TH400 will go back in this car to be sold with it.

#15,269 ·
finally got the stuck rotors off.. they were rusted to the hub and the tightest fit i have ever seen..

had to get a 8" square of 1/2" plate and drill 4 holes to go with the modified coupling nuts with large hex nuts welded to the side.. worked my way around 1/4 turn at a time.. it came loose.. the other side was not on as tight. but it was also on there..

so now its on to scrubbing... and rubbing.. a little painting.. some careful reassembly and then into the last few circuits of the rats nest of wiring. the rotors have been machined.. i have new springs for the parking brake cables , the ripped out crossmember bracket has been repaired. reman calipers are on the way.. so it will come apart again... it was cheaper to get remans since its a non lambo application for the hydraulic brake calipers.

Attachments

#15,270 ·
finally got the stuck rotors off.. they were rusted to the hub and the tightest fit i have ever seen..

had to get a 8" square of 1/2" plate and drill 4 holes to go with the modified coupling nuts with large hex nuts welded to the side.. worked my way around 1/4 turn at a time.. it came loose.. the other side was not on as tight. but it was also on there..

Some sanding of the surfaces and slathered with anti-seize when they go back on, eh ?

#15,271 ·
Yesterday was interesting... I took my camper over to dad's house to get it back inside so I can take the front window out to try to track down a leak. He walks out of the house, says he has water on the floor of the attached garage, looks like it's coming from under the house. Great. As I get close to the access door, I can hear the water spraying. Great. I spend the greater part of the day under the house fixing busted PVC fittings for the 3 heating/AC units under there. Luckily he had the house built up an extra block or two, and had lighting installed under there, so it's not as bad as it could have been. The bad part is that one of the solenoid valves controlling water flow is also cracked, so he had to call the HVAC guy anyway. As an experiment, I used some PVC shavings and some PVC cement to make a plastic "bondo" to cover the crack until it could be replaced. It was holding when I left last night, but will keep a close eye on it. I did get the camper inside, but nothing further there. I also replaced the starter on my truck. I replaced the dragging direct drive unit with a new gear reduction unit. This thing cranks up better now than it ever has since I've owned it.:thumbup:

#15,273 ·
mini bike

living in Maine nothing is exposed, everything freezes.

Had time this winter to send out my grill shell and have it re-chromed. found out it was brass I thought it was steel. may have been nickel plated original not sure. I also sold my old headlights and ordered new 7" dietz with LED lighting from Rodworx in Fl. Now I should be able to see driving at night.
I also picked up my Rupp mini bike frame and assorted parts that I had powder coated. good day no football to start putting it back together.

Attachments

#15,279 ·
I got back into the garage today after a brief break due to being a little under the weather. I finished up the electric e-brake on the truck.
i know that some newer model cars have a similar electric apply parking brake actuator.. i have a few friends with cars that they always worry about.. i have thought for a long time to find one of those actuators and install it in parallel with the mechanical emergency brake.. so you could apply the E brake.. and when you set the alarm.. the electric parking brake actuator applies or you apply it also before getting out of the car.. so even if they go to release the parking brakes.. the car cannot roll.

its just a thought..

i was finishing up the rear brakes on the lambo today.. the rotor turned out ugly where i hammered on it.. trying to bust it loose.. but this is not a show car.. its a daily driver. i need another inch or two of cable length to get the parking brakes cables hooked up.

Attachments

#15,280 ·
Tech69, last time I got on a board it cost me a lot of skin. 18 stitches on face, plastic surgery and a tooth but I learned my lesson. You da man but I'll pass! Seems like Street Rodder was looking at something of ours too, maybe it was the one below.

Wayne, man I bet that looks GOOD, don't it? That freshly machined rotor not costing arm nor leg... you are also da man. You always win but those pesky cars never seem to learn that.

Heres one finished, that I have been dying to get good pics of. I will post some more someplace here, not sure just where. Probably journal I guess.

73 Firebird on RS full frame with Mast LS7 / T56 and IRS. Shaker is functional, body is modified everywhere you look but not so you'd pick right up on it. I did a small percentage of the work, some metal fitting and finishing plus some assembly, paint help, and what-not. Its four feet tall.