Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#15,281 ·
Very cool!

No fun stuff today, I did get out to the garage to change one of the headlamps on the Rambler. A co-worker told me this morning it was out. I have to bring it to the dealer and see why the system failed to alarm me the headlamp was out!

That's a joke folks.

Brian

#15,282 ·
i know that some newer model cars have a similar electric apply parking brake actuator.. i have a few friends with cars that they always worry about.. i have thought for a long time to find one of those actuators and install it in parallel with the mechanical emergency brake.. so you could apply the E brake.. and when you set the alarm.. the electric parking brake actuator applies or you apply it also before getting out of the car.. so even if they go to release the parking brakes.. the car cannot roll.

its just a thought..

i was finishing up the rear brakes on the lambo today.. the rotor turned out ugly where i hammered on it.. trying to bust it loose.. but this is not a show car.. its a daily driver. i need another inch or two of cable length to get the parking brakes cables hooked up.
The E-Stopp system has a smart box and a sensor built in that applied a 600 lb pull on the e-brake cable. They have several button switches to choose from that can be hidden if desired. Their system is not just a parking brake but can be used as an emergency back up to the hydraulic brakes. I went with this system because I couldn't get the old cable system to create enough stroke to activate the Jeep rotor disk e-brakes completely.

#15,284 ·
The E-Stopp system has a smart box and a sensor built in that applied a 600 lb pull on the e-brake cable. They have several button switches to choose from that can be hidden if desired. Their system is not just a parking brake but can be used as an emergency back up to the hydraulic brakes. I went with this system because I couldn't get the old cable system to create enough stroke to activate the Jeep rotor disk e-brakes completely.
That install looks very nice but is it high enough to not interfere with the driveshaft ?
I like the concept and will look into it for my '38. Not many places to put a hand operated brake in there.

#15,285 ·
I brought my latest "prize" home yesterday to start the parts swap with the one I will sell.

Didn't take long to get it back down to the frame.

We disassembled the clip on this one, as I want the inner wheel houses and the rest goes on the other car.

The clutch pedal was missing and after crawling under the dash, I discovered it had been CUT OFF. I had to replace the entire bracket/pedal mount with one I had.

I had assembled the engine/trans the night before and threw it in.

Looks a little better with the fuse block back on the firewall and the wires shoved up. The block terminals are rusty and the wiring is a butchered mess. This car will get a new AAW update kit "someday".

#15,289 ·
been overworking myself, but it feels great! I stayed up til midnight body working my bike frame and this morning will weld the 4 holes up on the donor tubes, than I'll get some primer. Not sure whether to prime it here or at work, but regardless, I'll go clock in to help the Autorama rush. Should probably prime it here cause I don't want my bike their all week cause my car will be full with baby seats come Monday. Been spending time on the fender between filler coats and trimming it down and it's fitting great. Pics to come.

Also decided on House of Colors "black forrest green". It's a new color and so amazing.

#15,290 ·
Put in more time on the Chevelle yesterday. I had an interference issue with the clutch linkage and the headers that were on the engine with the TH400. I put the left header off my '66 on for now and will buy new headers for the '66 later. I was contemplating doing that anyway as those headers were used and rusty when I got them 3 years ago.

Got past the linkage issue and started swapping the best sheet metal on.
The grille is broken and I am letting the better grille go with the other car because I have an NOS grille for the car I keep..:D

#15,291 ·
headlights

just received my new headlights this week. 7"Dietz frames with new all LED head light unit from rodworx. bolted right back on where my old ones were. once I get the grill shell back from chrome platters I will have to get a new set of stainless wire looms. sold my old head lights and forgot to take off the looms. also did some more work on my rupp mini bike. got the rear tire, tube, sprocket and brake assembly all back on. waiting for the shocks and gas tank to be painted.
had a foot of snow yesterday so spent part of the day plowing and shoveling. Cant wait for spring.

Attachments

#15,292 ·
I like those headlights, sportcoupe !!

I removed the junk gas tank and sprayed carb cleaner in the fuel line to flush it. An hour later, I got the bypass section of tubing on to eliminate the 2 rust holes that the cleaner blew out of...:rolleyes: I finished flushing the line and got the new tank on.

Moved on the left fender and bezels. I won't go into detail but the fender was twisted worse than I realized and took 2 HOURS to beat into submission. Anyway, it's on there...;) I couldn't resist putting the NOS emblem on for effect.

#15,294 ·
That SS emblem makes everything alright! Good progress on the Chevelle, TMP. Having your spares screwed together and on one car has to be a relief space-wise but also mentally. Should be an easy sale, good luck with it.

Still blocking out my Mustang project today. Man that thing has so much un-needed filler on it... there oughtta be a law!

#15,296 ·
Spent the last couple of days putting the truck back together for the trailer ride to Georgia from the Bay Area. I was super happy with the repaired front cab corners and mounting wings...the mounting bolts just dropped into the holes. The adjustable rear cab links are worth every penny. I was able with just a few turns of a wrench level out the cab with the frame and bed. No more listing to the drivers side. :D I still have the front sheet metal to hang but I am holding out in hopes of maybe getting my engine back this week from the engine builder. I bolted in the fuel tank to locate the Aeromotive in tank fuel pump...but as you can see the bed brace is making the job more difficult...so I am stopping here until I figure out just how I'm going to run the plumbing back in this tight area and still be able to easily remove the tank. The tailgate, rollpan, and receiver hitch worked really clean as well. This are not the wheels and tires that are going on the final assembly...I picked up the custom order 18's last week...they are really nice and fill up the fenders. So while I'm waiting on the engine and other parts to show up, I am going to finish the bed wood and continue to pack up the garage for the 2700 mile road tip in March.

Attachments

#15,297 ·
Spent the last couple of days putting the truck back together for the trailer ride to Georgia from the Bay Area. I was super happy with the repaired front cab corners and mounting wings...the mounting bolts just dropped into the holes. The adjustable rear cab links are worth every penny. I was able with just a few turns of a wrench level out the cab with the frame and bed. No more listing to the drivers side. :D I still have the front sheet metal to hang but I am holding out in hopes of maybe getting my engine back this week from the engine builder. I bolted in the fuel tank to locate the Aeromotive in tank fuel pump...but as you can see the bed brace is making the job more difficult...so I am stopping here until I figure out just how I'm going to run the plumbing back in this tight area and still be able to easily remove the tank. The tailgate, rollpan, and receiver hitch worked really clean as well. This are not the wheels and tires that are going on the final assembly...I picked up the custom order 18's last week...they are really nice and fill up the fenders. So while I'm waiting on the engine and other parts to show up, I am going to finish the bed wood and continue to pack up the garage for the 2700 mile road tip in March.
What are you coming to be bay area for, moving?

Brian

#15,299 ·
Picked up a crossmember and throttle pedal assembly for the '70 at 7:00 am. Swung by the hardware store on the way home for bolts and it will be in the car shortly. I installed the starter, PS hoses, radiator and filled the fluids last night. Put a couple gallons of gas in the tank and it fired right up. The goal is to take it back to storage yet today but with the temp at 5° and the windchill in the -10° range, that may get delayed.
At the least, the car will be movable under it's own power and not a "pusher" anymore...:cool:

#15,300 ·
Picked up a crossmember and throttle pedal assembly for the '70 at 7:00 am. Swung by the hardware store on the way home for bolts and it will be in the car shortly. I installed the starter, PS hoses, radiator and filled the fluids last night. Put a couple gallons of gas in the tank and it fired right up. The goal is to take it back to storage yet today but with the temp at 5° and the windchill in the -10° range, that may get delayed.
At the least, the car will be movable under it's own power and not a "pusher" anymore...:cool:
Unless you have one heck of a heater system it must be hard to remind yourself you are having fun!

I am going to try and catch up with Randy. Time for a cup of coffee.

John