Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#17,221 ·
I tried that, pulled the relay and plugged in a remote start button and blew the fuse ...:confused:. I tried for 20 minutes to bypass that damned relay and ran out of fusses and figured I'd better quit before I blew the whole damn ECM...:mad: I have NO IDEA how that car is wired...:drunk:
On old fwd pos GPs you can jumper two terminals on the pump relay and drain 'er dry. They also have a pump access panel :D so you work in the back seat to remove. Would not have helped in your case. :( Saw an article somewhere about bending plastic fuel line, can't remember where.

Today felt like work. I was out of stuff at home so just ran to the store in The Loud One. She got "Nice car!"-ed and gawked at, and I got a favorite cashier. The one with the pants so tight that... well... how does she even put those on? I'd like to know! :mwink::sweat::drool::D Or help!

Anyway- A warm summer evening rip-snort in your favorite old car while the sunset is just right is just good therapy. :)

#17,224 ·
Well, good news on the mower last night. It runs, so I know that the ignition system is still good. This evening it will get run long enough to get hot, check the charging system, and then the oil will get changed. Time to cut grass again already. I'm still trying to make up my mind on the new mower. So many very similar choices...:confused: Oh yeah, the fuel line runs right through where the fire was, and it was charred pretty good. When I started removing the burned harness, it crumbled letting the gas in the line come out. We were very close to a major fire last week, I think the Lord had his hand over my daughter that day.
Dave

#17,225 ·
Well, good news on the mower last night. It runs, so I know that the ignition system is still good. This evening it will get run long enough to get hot, check the charging system, and then the oil will get changed. Time to cut grass again already. I'm still trying to make up my mind on the new mower. So many very similar choices...:confused: Oh yeah, the fuel line runs right through where the fire was, and it was charred pretty good. When I started removing the burned harness, it crumbled letting the gas in the line come out. We were very close to a major fire last week, I think the Lord had his hand over my daughter that day.
Dave
Glad you got it running again..... More glad your daughter is ok, could have been a bad situation. But it wasn't! She was being protected.......

Idk, maybe run this mower into the ground unless you have more issues?

#17,226 ·
Glad you got it running again..... More glad your daughter is ok, could have been a bad situation. But it wasn't! She was being protected.......

Idk, maybe run this mower into the ground unless you have more issues?
The mower runs and cuts again. :thumbup: I ran it this evening, confirmed that all of the safety switches are operational, and went out in the yard to do a little cutting to heat up the oil a little. Changed the oil & filter tonight, and will grease all the zerks, and clean it up to list it for sale tomorrow.

I went back out to the Dixie Chopper dealer this afternoon as well, and got some numbers on the 60" cut Magnum HP with the EFI Kohler. Looks like a decent mower, but I think I'm going to pass on it. I also looked at a SCAG 61" Patriot this evening, which is what I think I'm going to go with. They made me an offer that would be tough to pass up. I think it's a better mower than the DC anyway. More expensive, too, but overall a better mower I think. It should last me for quite a while.

Dave

#17,228 ·
The mower runs and cuts again. :thumbup: I ran it this evening, confirmed that all of the safety switches are operational, and went out in the yard to do a little cutting to heat up the oil a little. Changed the oil & filter tonight, and will grease all the zerks, and clean it up to list it for sale tomorrow.

I went back out to the Dixie Chopper dealer this afternoon as well, and got some numbers on the 60" cut Magnum HP with the EFI Kohler. Looks like a decent mower, but I think I'm going to pass on it. I also looked at a SCAG 61" Patriot this evening, which is what I think I'm going to go with. They made me an offer that would be tough to pass up. I think it's a better mower than the DC anyway. More expensive, too, but overall a better mower I think. It should last me for quite a while.

Dave
Glad the mower is back like it oughta be. I'm hearing the new mower talk and wondering if by chance you had given any thought to a custom build. Dad built a riding mower that used an engine for each blade and mounted them to the deck. Just food for thought, but it might actually be sensible if given serious consideration. The cost would be light and the parts, features, and capabilities could be just like you like.

#17,237 ·
Got the rest of the header bolt locks on. The ones that were left were the ones that had to be ground on some to make them fit. At least they're all on. I don't mind them as far as looks. They don't stand out at all. Most people probably would never see them....... Now they should never loosen up...... In theory....

#17,238 ·
Got the rest of the header bolt locks on. The ones that were left were the ones that had to be ground on some to make them fit. At least they're all on. I don't mind them as far as looks. They don't stand out at all. Most people probably would never see them....... Now they should never loosen up...... In theory....

I don't understand why I read so much about header bolts coming loose.
I run stainless bolts with non squishy type gaskets and they never get loose. Maybe I made my own gasket from the high temp Felpro sheet? Hard to remember 10 years later.

Maybe I have good luck?
Not usually. :drunk:

#17,239 ·
I don't understand why I read so much about header bolts coming loose.
I run stainless bolts with non squishy type gaskets and they never get loose. Maybe I made my own gasket from the high temp Felpro sheet? Hard to remember 10 years later.

Maybe I have good luck?
Not usually. :drunk:
Mine are stainless and were always coming loose. I'm using a 3ply aluminum gasket that Mitch recommended. Hadn't had the gaskets in long enough to see if the bolts still came loose. Now I know they won't!:thumbup:

#17,240 ·
I read an article in Rod and Custom a few years back,it said to soak header gasgets in bathtub overnight before installing them (wet ) The White Mr Gasket fiber type, but don't over tighten the bolts,so I tried it on my Z28 they have been on 10 years or more no leaks,,i think most might be overtightning and warpping flange,,

I use dead soft copper gaskets on the headers of my truck and aluminum on the collectors ,never any problems