Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#17,241 ·
I changed the trans filter and fluid along with the engine oil and filter on the Malibu I bought for my son today.
Trans fluid is supposed to be good for something like 100,000 miles and then you rebuild the trans. There isn't a dipstick to even check the level. What complete bull****. I measured the fluid that came out of the trans and replaced that amount with new and then did the "procedure" to check the level warm and running in park, just like the good old days, except this required a few more tools than pulling the stick out. The fluid was dark and smelled old/slightly burned but the pan was quite clean, so I think the trans will live for quite a while longer than if it had been left alone. I will change what I can drain out again in 10k miles and refill with fresh.

#17,242 ·
Mine are stainless and were always coming loose. I'm using a 3ply aluminum gasket that Mitch recommended. Hadn't had the gaskets in long enough to see if the bolts still came loose. Now I know they won't!:thumbup:
I always check and tighten mine 3 times after heat cycling to ensure they aren't going to work loose. I hate leaking header gaskets and the PITA it is to change them again.

I've installed 2 sets of Sanderson's now with only the dried silicone for a seal and they never work loose or leak. Why can't ALL the manufacturers make their flanges like that ?????

#17,245 ·
Probably not exciting to anyone but me but I flipped my frame over and painted the bottom. I am indeed endeavoring to persevere. :thumbup:

John
whatchutalkinbout not exciting to anyone else ?????

Looks GOOD......well, except for all those rust pits....

You going to try to pull out the front crossmember panel at some point ? It sucks that people put the floor jack pad right in the middle of that and cave it in.

#17,246 ·
whatchutalkinbout not exciting to anyone else ?????

Looks GOOD......well, except for all those rust pits....

You going to try to pull out the front crossmember panel at some point ? It sucks that people put the floor jack pad right in the middle of that and cave it in.
I am definitely going to fill the pits in the areas that show but probably will not fool with the front cross member. It is in some but it looks worse in the picture than it does in person.

By Monday I should be able to start mudding it.

John

#17,247 ·
I always check and tighten mine 3 times after heat cycling to ensure they aren't going to work loose. I hate leaking header gaskets and the PITA it is to change them again.

I've installed 2 sets of Sanderson's now with only the dried silicone for a seal and they never work loose or leak. Why can't ALL the manufacturers make their flanges like that ?????
Yeah, I did the same thing, heat cycled them multiple times. I believe I torqued them to 35#s. I decided to lock 'em up so I can forget about them. I do like those Percy aluminum gaskets...

Now I just want to put some miles on it to see if I still have an oil issue. Hope the intake gaskets fixed it...

#17,250 ·
Still a bit slow but learning to cope with 40% heart use..

Here is what showed up st the shop..

1966 426 Hemi... Story is.. It was built back in the early seventies and put in storage.. Owner died and relatives sold it to this customer..

Engine turned over very hard so I had to pull it down for inspection.. The engine had been assembled with white lith grease. Kind of standard stuff back in the day.. But the grease attracted moisture over the years and stuck the pistons in the bore..

A fairly tough teardown but the engine had the best pieces of the day.. Forgedtrue pistons, Moly rings, polished beam rods, Michigan race bearings, solid copper head gaskets. 292-11-8 camshaft. Ported heads, stainless valves..,

Block had freeze cracks on both sides, repaired well, years ago. No leaks on press test. Bore rust will clean up with light hone.

Biggest comment from onlookers was "Look at those domes" Chevy guys can't handle the look..

Attachments

#17,251 ·
Still a bit slow but learning to cope with 40% heart use..

Here is what showed up st the shop..

1966 426 Hemi... Story is.. It was built back in the early seventies and put in storage.. Owner died and relatives sold it to this customer..

Engine turned over very hard so I had to pull it down for inspection.. The engine had been assembled with white lith grease. Kind of standard stuff back in the day.. But the grease attracted moisture over the years and stuck the pistons in the bore..

A fairly tough teardown but the engine had the best pieces of the day.. Forgedtrue pistons, Moly rings, polished beam rods, Michigan race bearings, solid copper head gaskets. 292-11-8 camshaft. Ported heads, stainless valves..,

Block had freeze cracks on both sides, repaired well, years ago. No leaks on press test. Bore rust will clean up with light hone.

Biggest comment from onlookers was "Look at those domes" Chevy guys can't handle the look..
Nice job on cleaning up valve pockets will still have swirl ,,most try to polish them so smooth,looks like they are going to run alcohol:thumbup:

Since it has not been started will you be able to reuse those Expensive,bolts

#17,253 ·
I bought this light that I needed very badly at a "flee market" in a little town nearby famous for antiques. The WHOLE TOWN was full of garage sales and main street full of food and antiques, it was really a good time with the wife and daughter. But one of the last houses we passed had these lights that I needed very bad as mine had failed. I was planning yesterday to go to the store and buy new ones and there these were new in the box for very cheap, right on!

Brian

Attachments

#17,254 ·
Glad the mower is back like it oughta be. I'm hearing the new mower talk and wondering if by chance you had given any thought to a custom build. Dad built a riding mower that used an engine for each blade and mounted them to the deck. Just food for thought, but it might actually be sensible if given serious consideration. The cost would be light and the parts, features, and capabilities could be just like you like.

I ended up getting the 61" SCAG Patriot on Saturday. That thing is a cutting machine!

I had not considered a custom built mower. Do you have any pics of your dad's home-built rider? However, I am churning on some ideas to build/modify a mower deck to use as a trail mower type thing. We have a long ditch bank that is pretty tough to cut. Right now I'm using a bush hog on the tractor with two wheels in/two wheels out to get it done. I really do not like doing that, but only one short area is deep enough to be concerned with. Along the front of the property, the ditch there can be cut with the mower on one side, but the street side is too steep. I have a couple of old rider decks, and an older B&S 10HP engine. I'm thinking of some framework to attach it to the mower similar to a trail mower, and using a couple of small kids bicycle forks/wheels for caster wheels mounted on the deck. The framework would have to have a pivot to let the deck drop down to follow the ground level. The basic idea is there, I just have not sketched it up yet... Heck, I may even be able to use the ancient rider that is currently residing under a camper shell almost as-is... Yet another project to keep me away from the Chevelle.

#17,255 ·
This came into the shop today for some paint work,,he wants the top panels and some trim blacked out,,The pictures don't do this car justice it is a 2016 Z6/R I misprinted on bottow as 7 it is incorrect,,This is a ProLine Racing car,you will be seeing a lot of there engines pn Sreeet Outlaws this season,,,this is a Daily driver not race only.:D

Attachments

#17,256 ·
I ended up getting the 61" SCAG Patriot on Saturday. That thing is a cutting machine!
Congrats! :cool:

I had not considered a custom built mower. Do you have any pics of your dad's home-built rider?

Only after it was converted to a go-kart of sorts when Dad bought a 12 HP Gravely. He sold that last year. The mower / go-kart frame is now a firewood trailer for the Husky he got. When it was a mower it was green and that Clinton was one of the three engines. We called it the green monster and it sounded ferocious at full song. And there you go, all sentimental and no technical, typical IDJ style! :D

I tapped around on the 33 roof today with some rattle can etch over it. Better. :)

Attachments

#17,259 ·
It is always a good feeling when something works out. I brought my truck project home last weekend. Today I got the engine out of the truck bed and decided to do a test fit of the new T-5 transmission to the engine. I have been told by Y Block folks to expect to shorten the pilot shaft. However when I lined up the trans to the engine it slide right in with a satisfying clunk when it hit the bell housing mating surface. :thumbup:

#17,260 ·
What did I do today, took Bart to SF, walked miles and miles around the city, went to AT&T park for a tour, ate over and over at little places, sat in Union Square with a coffee watching the world go bye, had an awesome day with my son. :D

He came into town for business (lives in Idaho) and we met up and had a BLAST!

Oh yeah, and worked on a Chevy Traverse this morning before I left, there is the car thing I did. :D

Brian

Attachments