Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#18,201 ·
Yesterday my son & I got the house Christmas lights up

Also pulled the mower deck off the garden tractor to clean etc. Found a small rust hole. Sanded, ground, used flap wheel and then more sanding. (now it was a much bigger rust hole!) Started to weld it up. (Hole got bigger) Switched to the MIG. Hole got bigger still.

Made a patch piece, welded that in (such a "beautiful, professional" job that if I posted pics on here, I'd be banished from the site forever!) Lotsa "Gorilla welds" Massive, very strong and unbelievably ugly.

Painted the deck and the patch with black Rust-o-leum.

Today the tow truck brought son's car home from the insurance compound.

#18,202 ·
Yesterday my son & I got the house Christmas lights up

Also pulled the mower deck off the garden tractor to clean etc. Found a small rust hole. Sanded, ground, used flap wheel and then more sanding. (now it was a much bigger rust hole!) Started to weld it up. (Hole got bigger) Switched to the MIG. Hole got bigger still.

Made a patch piece, welded that in (such a "beautiful, professional" job that if I posted pics on here, I'd be banished from the site forever!) Lotsa "Gorilla welds" Massive, very strong and unbelievably ugly.

Painted the deck and the patch with black Rust-o-leum.

Today the tow truck brought son's car home from the insurance compound.
Well you may have done more than me but I'll bet I had a better knap. :p

John

#18,204 ·
Well you may have done more than me but I'll bet I had a better knap. :p

John
Wish I had enjoyed a good afternoon snooze. The night before I had, for unknown reason, come down with a virulent case of hiccups. Could not sle(hic) slee (hic) sleep at (hic) all. Got up eventi(hic)eventually and spent the day in a zombie trance.. Yes I got some stuff done but ....

#18,206 ·
The T strips are primed and the areas of the body where the T strips go are also primed!

I went out today and put the rubber strips on the edges and have the drivers side 75% riveted in place. The windshield setting rubber worked better than I had hoped.

I was going to use a spot or two of spray adhesive to hold the rubber in place but I found the rubber stuck in place nicely without any adhesive. I had to roll a small roller over it and dimple some holes but it worked out great. I have 3 or 4 more rivets to put in on the drivers side and that side will be ready to mount the rear window center section.

I see daylight in getting this nasty task out of the way so I can keep rolling on getting the mo-chine done. :cool:

Photos
1. passenger side after slathering it with SPI Epoxy. I call it slather cause I used a brush.
2. Laying out the first rubber strip.
3. Rubber strip to the bottom.
4. The side rubber installed and joint mated and taped.
5. Initial clamping of the strip to the body during install.

Attachments

#18,207 ·
Damn I love working with Nick! We stayed after work tonight to assemble his box. Even that is a joy, he is such a great guy. I found a little Ford Oval for him in the emblem collection. He's going to remove the Harbor Freight one and put that. :D

I have a GS one on my box.

Brian

#18,209 ·
wow, those cheap trees dont last even three years anymore.

yesterday i put the air dam on the buick... didn't do any good at all.

today i worked on finding as many ways as possible to get the blood to come out of my viens. i succeeded VERY well with my thumb, not so much on a finger nail, came close on my eyelid. i'm smooth man, real smooth.

#18,218 ·
Spent the day doing something I never thought I would. Detailing and cleaning my wife's new (to her) Ford Fusion SE V6. As a life long Chevy guy, I never had an issue with old Fords, or anyone else owning a newer Ford, but I never thought we'd own one.
Daughter's old '94 Mazda developed a front tranny seal leak, and at 270,000 miles it just wasn't worth fixing, so we gave her the wife's Mazda with 131,000 miles and went car shopping. Didn't take long to run into this one owner car, and with extremely low mileage, and a $5k price it was hard not to buy it.
She's having withdrawals from giving her Mazda away, but does like the bigger, and more deluxe car.

#18,220 ·
spent the first of the week rebuilding the carb and getting the 55 running. it has sat since my godson's dad passed a year ago. there is a show at our school this weekend and he got interested in it. he's cleaned it up and been polishing aluminum all week. glad he seems to finally have some closure on loosing both his parents so young. his dad and i built the car in 85 . never quite finished it.

Attachments