Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#18,521 ·
Did he finish his work on the Ivo car ?
We had a high of 20° yesterday, felt like summer after the below zero temps of the past couple weeks...;) 5° this morning.
My shop is 1112 sq ft with 16 ft ceiling. I have an overhead radiant heater that I keep at 38° and turn up when I go out there to work. It takes an hour to get the temp up to 58°, which is OK for working with a light jacket, and then it runs for another hour to bring all that metal up to 62°, which is all the higher I take it.
I believe they are still at it on the Ivo car, I don't know for sure.

Brian

#18,522 ·
well my interior panels are made. what a leaning experience . the board was much harder to work with than i thought. not bad but there are some quirks to it . cutting and heating were a eye opener. when cutting it can shatter . cuts much easier when warmed up. a lite cut first is easier to do and the following cut will follow it very well . on heating i found it does not like the heat gun. very easy to over heat . i found that by using my space heater to warm the piece evenly it would shape easier.
all in all not too bad. hopefully i will get better with it. still light years ahead of black board or plywood.

next will be sewing up panels. after which i will likely change my user name to Flipper .

Attachments

#18,523 ·
Once you are living there and summer returns, you'll be in the garage. You NEED to be to get a break from the constant work you have done on that house for the past, what, 18 months ?
If you weren't so dang far away, I'd come help with the move.:(
Thanks, but the only hot rodding will be slamming my boat trailer for beach launching.
I will be going fishing regularly this year though.

Ya, it's been about 18 months now. No slow down in the near future. All base boards, casings, painting, wall panels, and then 2 washrooms, and a kitchen island to do. C'mon man, I want it to end...... :drunk:

#18,528 ·
I got out to the garage, didn't do a thing on the truck but planning. Planning on how the heck I am going to make a cart of some sort to put the cab on with it tilted over backwards so the floor can be sand blasted inside and out, along with the cowl. I plan on having this done, spraying epoxy primer then putting it upright and priming the rest. But I'll be damned if I can come up with a good way to pull this off without making a full blown cart and putting it up on a car trailer (I don't have) or the company tow truck. I have my pickup bed trailer that I could pull the bed off and use, I was hoping I could figure out a way to do that but damned if I can come up with a reasonable way.

Brian

#18,529 ·
I got out to the garage, didn't do a thing on the truck but planning. Planning on how the heck I am going to make a cart of some sort to put the cab on with it tilted over backwards so the floor can be sand blasted inside and out, along with the cowl. I plan on having this done, spraying epoxy primer then putting it upright and priming the rest. But I'll be damned if I can come up with a good way to pull this off without making a full blown cart and putting it up on a car trailer (I don't have) or the company tow truck. I have my pickup bed trailer that I could pull the bed off and use, I was hoping I could figure out a way to do that but damned if I can come up with a reasonable way.

Brian

Don't over think this.

4 pcs of 2 x 6 and 4 wheels.
Use the bolt holes in the casters to bolt all the pieces together and then add a couple of bits after you put the cab on it to stabilize.

It really doesn't need to be a tank.

#18,532 ·
I thought it already was on a cart to move it around the garage ? Are you envisioning a cradle for it to lay on it's back while blasting and painting ? Should be easy enough to modify that for it to rest in both positions by adding blocks to support the curvature of the back.
Yeah I am thinking that is the way I will go, but then I will have to put it up on the tow truck or a car trailer that I don't have. I was hoping to figure out a way that I could do it with something I have.

Brian

#18,533 ·
Don't over think this.

4 pcs of 2 x 6 and 4 wheels.
Use the bolt holes in the casters to bolt all the pieces together and then add a couple of bits after you put the cab on it to stabilize.

It really doesn't need to be a tank.
Ahhhhh, I hadn't thought about using wood. If that is what the "2x6" pieces you are talking about are made of. It would work no sweat. My problem is understand, I am talking about moving it a few miles to the sandblaster.

Brian

#18,534 ·
Yeah I am thinking that is the way I will go, but then I will have to put it up on the tow truck or a car trailer that I don't have. I was hoping to figure out a way that I could do it with something I have.

Brian
If you can get the bed off your trailer, just strap the cab on the rails and bring the cart with, don't try to find a way to keep them together and do this. KISS

#18,535 ·
Ahhhhh, I hadn't thought about using wood. If that is what the "2x6" pieces you are talking about are made of. It would work no sweat. My problem is understand, I am talking about moving it a few miles to the sandblaster.

Brian
I thought you were talking about working on it.
Forget my ramblings.

Beg, steal or borrow or rent a trailer. Whichever is the Frugalest.

#18,537 ·
can you just set it on the frame and tow it to the blaster ?
No, the problem is I need to do the underside. I am not going to let the guy blast the roof or rear panel, I have had him destroy a vintage door for me so I am not going there. I'll get that stuff ready. But the firewall inside and out, the cowl inside and out and the floor top side and bottom is what I am planning. So I need to get the cab so it is laying on it's back. I just figured I would make something simple to roll it over there on be it a trailer or the tow truck and have him blast it, bring it back, epoxy prime it and then prep the rest and epoxy prime that before I get into the bondo work. I am a little bit off on this being I need to weld the roof all up first. But I am just thinking ahead.

I figured some kind of tilting system where a rail was bolted under the cab right where it mounts to the frame and it pivots out behind the cab leaning it back.

Brian

#18,538 ·
If you can get the bed off your trailer, just strap the cab on the rails and bring the cart with, don't try to find a way to keep them together and do this. KISS
I still need to make something so it's laying on it's back. Either that or a simple way to protect it from damage and roll it over on it's back while at the blaster.

Brian

#18,540 ·
i always tilt them onto the firewall. rear cab is just too flimsy for me. if the frame is not finished you could haul it on the frame then slide it back and tilt it over. going to be a pia any way you go. before i built my rotisserie i sat cabs on the floor then tilted them over on the firewall. good luck.