Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#18,581 ·
the only fitment issue I had was where the 4 speed shifter bolts on the OD adapter. it has machined bosses and they were recessed just a little to much for the shift rods to line up to the trans. couple flat washers fixed that.
Good to hear, and see, there were no tunnel mods required. The Camaro tunnel is even narrower than my Chevelle, so it should be a simple bolt in. I plan to replace the exhaust in the near future and would just work around the unit. Like the cut-outs...might have to be talked into them as well...:D

#18,582 ·
Good to hear, and see, there were no tunnel mods required. The Camaro tunnel is even narrower than my Chevelle, so it should be a simple bolt in. I plan to replace the exhaust in the near future and would just work around the unit. Like the cut-outs...might have to be talked into them as well...:D
when I shimmed the shifter out to align the rods. it hit the floor and would not go in reverse. I used a die grinder and removed 1/4" and all is well

#18,584 ·
picked up a set of 16" rims for my 09, 3/4 ton dodge. going to clean and paint them for my snow tires. I know the truck takes 17" rims but for a $100.00 all steel i couldn't pass them up. I'll run tires same diameter tires as the 17" ones. I plow in the winter so need 4 studded tires.

did a little busy work on my coupe, took off the calipers and rotors and repacked the bearings clean and painted the rotors them back together. I took some high temp ceramic paint and rolled the edges of the rotors, getting bored i guess. waiting for spring.

Attachments

#18,585 ·
picked up a set of 16" rims for my 09, 3/4 ton dodge. going to clean and paint them for my snow tires. I know the truck takes 17" rims but for a $100.00 all steel i couldn't pass them up. I'll run tires same diameter tires as the 17" ones. I plow in the winter so need 4 studded tires.
I do the same with my RAM. I have different set of wheels for plowing. Mine came with 20s and I use 17s which enabled me to get a taller sidewall and skinnier tires to match the originals. The tires can be studded, but studs are illegal over here, unfortunately.....

#18,586 ·
Today we will be doing something outside. It's the 2nd day in a row of 50 degrees in January:)! We'll probably be washing out our engine bay, with a garden hose, while we have my son's motor out.

I've tried to not be a weather watching worrier for the past couple of years, but is everyone else experiencing an unbelieveably mild January?

#18,588 ·
Today we will be doing something outside. It's the 2nd day in a row of 50 degrees in January:)! We'll probably be washing out our engine bay, with a garden hose, while we have my son's motor out.

I've tried to not be a weather watching worrier for the past couple of years, but is everyone else experiencing an unbelieveably mild January?
Out here Eastern Wa is getting more snow and cold then we have had since about 2008. Artic polar vortex is hitting us. And some major snow in the Sierra Mt's.

Sam

#18,591 ·
I finally got a look at the finished stairs. I've seen bits and pieces but never all of them as a whole.

I was scared to walk on them,. Didn't want to scratch them up but I think some war wounds would give it that country house feel.

I don't have to see those up close to know that they are mind blowing in perfection for a house. Houses are NOT done anywhere near to the perfection a car is, even a poorly built car. But I can see and would bet your house is different in that regard. That staircase looks like your frame on your car. LOL Beautiful!

Brian

#18,592 ·
those are some nice stairs, Pugsy. You should feel proud.

Anywho, after the rugrat chaos of yesterday I'm ok with just relaxing and recharging for a full steam ahead week of work. Football after a trip to Harbor Freight. I was taught to use a laser level to access height issues or should I say issues you don't see til you put the car together. Even on the rack there's not a lot of measuring points to adjust height on rear body issues past the reinforcement holes. This can be the difference between bumper to hatch fitting well, hatch to taillight fitting well, head light to hood fitting well, and many other things. I've only seen 2 guys use them and for $40 with the coupon they are well worth it! I don't want to guess. I hope the guys don't laugh at me for getting it. :)

#18,593 ·
Pugs, they look outstanding!! You've done a heck of a job. Not many guys would take on a project as large as you have. You've got a lot to be proud of.!!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

(If your caught up, I've got a bathroom that needs remodeling. Sunny Ca,
it would be just like a little vacation!)
Thanks.

I never want to do another renovation project as long as I live, after this one. Also, I am a far way from being caught up. :pain: :pain: :( :eek:

#18,594 ·
I don't have to see those up close to know that they are mind blowing in perfection for a house. Houses are NOT done anywhere near to the perfection a car is, even a poorly built car. But I can see and would bet your house is different in that regard. That staircase looks like your frame on your car. LOL Beautiful!

Brian
Thanks Brian.

I appreciate the kind words.
It's been a labor of, well not love, but something, damn it, ha.....

#18,599 ·
Just remember Pugs, balmy Ca. weather, bikini clad nymphs galore, movie stars all over the place, In and Out burgers on every corner. A virtual paradise and it's a small bathroom.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
So, how much do you charge to let someone remodel your bathroom?

I got that last patch panel welded in today WHOO HOOOO!

Brian
Isn't five minutes a day just amazing........:D

John