Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#18,822 ·
End Quote---
He should keep talking about the Chevy II......oh yeah.....:thumbup:

That may be true but the Futura would have made a nice little car for the right price. Tim and his brother in law got to 2500 dollars of each other but never made a deal. Had it been a Chevy II I believe he would have bought it.

John

This is under the trunk matt.

You can tell the old man loved the car and was an antiquer. It had what looked like a brand new single exhaust behind the V-8.:)

The car had not run in Three years. We poored a teaspoon of gass in the carburator, jumped it off and it cranked right up. One lifter clattered for about 3-4 minutes and slowely built itself up. After that it ran quiet as a church mouse.

John

Damn, that's cool!

Brian:thumbup:

#18,823 ·
If that is your T deck lid in the background RIP, it looks like you already have done some good work on it.

John

Yep John, that is the offending Deck lid shell. Some easy things have been addressed but the major hold up is still holding.

I have been looking at the parts that I have to fab up for it and I have some new ideas as to how to go about building the left and right sides. I might have to buy some more 18 ga but it will be worth it in what I will learn on this deck lid. You know practice makes perfect..

While I have your attention John what was the final sprocket sizes you used on your door opener power for your bead roller?:cool:

#18,824 ·
Yep John, that is the offending Deck lid shell. Some easy things have been addressed but the major hold up is still holding.

I have been looking at the parts that I have to fab up for it and I have some new ideas as to how to go about building the left and right sides. I might have to buy some more 18 ga but it will be worth it in what I will learn on this deck lid. You know practice makes perfect..

While I have your attention John what was the final sprocket sizes you used on your door opener power for your bead roller?:cool:
I think it is 55 teeth RIP. I will double check that tomorrow. It was the biggest I could find.

It is ok but I would not want it to run any faster either. If I remember, I bought it off Ebay for like 35 bucks and had to buy the hub for it seperately. That was the only real money item. The foot control is a single action foot switch from Harbor Freight that was very cheap. Make sure you don't accidently buy a push on, push off switch. You need a push and hold switch for control. On tight radiuses you will need to "cycle" it for control.

John

#18,825 ·
I think it is 55 teeth RIP. I will double check that tomorrow. It was the biggest I could find.

It is ok but I would not want it to run any faster either. If I remember, I bought it off Ebay for like 35 bucks and had to buy the hub for it seperately. That was the only real money item. The foot control is a single action foot switch from Harbor Freight that was very cheap. Make sure you don't accidently buy a push on, push off switch. You need a push and hold switch for control. On tight radiuses you will need to "cycle" it for control.

John
John,
I don't remember reading your bead roller mod thread, so please forgive me if this was addressed. Would a sewing machine controller pedal work for this? They are variable speed, aren't they?

Dave

#18,826 ·
John,
I don't remember reading your bead roller mod thread, so please forgive me if this was addressed. Would a sewing machine controller pedal work for this? They are variable speed, aren't they?

Dave
I don't think so. I believe the sewing machine motors are DC and the garage door motor is AC. Hopefully, someone will jump in here that knows more about them than I do.

I have wondered if a sewing machine motor would work but doubt they afe reversable like the garage door opener.

John

#18,827 ·
Thanks John,

I have some motorcycle parts and pieces and I think I may have something in my scrap. I also have a bicycle that is trashed so I will look at the large sprocket on it also..

I am going to build this on the frugal side. I already have my chain drive opener so a pedal an sprocket and a chain is all I need to finish it. Speaking of finishing it I better get busy.. Thanks again for the info John I appreciate it.:cool:

#18,828 ·
Today I got out to the garage for a little work on the rad grille and front fender of the Crosley. I can't believe how awesome this worked tapping the holes and screwing the screws in to weld. Geeez :drunk:

I got it all ready to weld and then marked the front fender as my brother had marked a photo. I took a bunch of photos and sent them to him to see if it's good to go like this.

You know what's real sad, my program for the show I went to saturday with Steve and Nick has a photo of the bike saying it's in the show. :pain:

Brian

Attachments

#18,829 ·
I finished the major construction on the bead roller stand and it is at least functional now. I need to mount some studs on the side of the vertical to hold all the dies and I need to do some basic mods to the roller. I need to add zerk fittings to the shaft bearing blocks and need to improve the adjustment bolt on the top. I did run my first ever test bead on the roller and I was plesently surprized. It was some 20 of 22 ga but it gave me a good idea of how the roller and tool work. I still need to look into my garage door motor power assist I am going to put on but that is less of a priority now.

Here it is still a work in progress. :cool:
get rid of the crank and tensioner bolt and you're all good.

#18,833 ·
Nice. 409?
"My 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction".... YEP, it's a 409

While all you guys are having fun with rods, I'm crawling around on hands and knees.

What a PITA....or is that pain in the back? :pain:
SURE is PURDY !!! The pain will come to an end and the satisfaction of building it will go on.

#18,835 ·
I am going to build this on the frugal side. I already have my chain drive opener so a pedal an sprocket and a chain is all I need to finish it. Speaking of finishing it I better get busy.. Thanks again for the info John I appreciate it.:cool:
Rip, I have a brand new chain in a box I'll never use. It came in a complete set and all I used was the power head. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

#18,836 ·
While all you guys are having fun with rods, I'm crawling around on hands and knees.

What a PITA....or is that pain in the back? :pain:
DAMN your a craftsmen in everything you touch! :thumbup: double :thumbup::thumbup:

Brian

Reactions: 123pugsy
#18,838 ·
Wow, Everybody has something to brag on but me. Great work Pugsy!

What is the plan for the 409 Mitch?

John
I've been watching for one for the '62 Impala, especially since the 350 spun a bearing last summer. Really strange situation now. A guy asked me on Saturday if I wanted to sell the Impala. I gave him a price and he is "thinking" about it. Then yesterday along comes this 409 at a no-brainer price, so I picked it up. If the Impala sells, it will eventually go in the '38...:D

#18,839 ·
I've been watching for one for the '62 Impala, especially since the 350 spun a bearing last summer. Really strange situation now. A guy asked me on Saturday if I wanted to sell the Impala. I gave him a price and he is "thinking" about it. Then yesterday along comes this 409 at a no-brainer price, so I picked it up. If the Impala sells, it will eventually go in the '38...:D
It will definitely be cool in either one.

If I had a 409, I would like to put it in my 58 Impala convertible except I don't have a 58 Impala convertible. :drunk::D:mwink:

John