Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#19,561 ·
Speaking of water, We just finished up the Good-Guys Nashville Nationals. Despite all the flooding, storms and rain around the south, I have not been in rain one time. The top has not been up on the roadster all weekend.

With that said, I have to go home tomorrow. We will see how my luck holds out.::mwink:

Anyway, it has been a great weekend. I have had a really good time. :thumbup:

John
You must have a charm around you. I've watched the radar weather down there and figured you must have been rained out. Glad you had good weather and fun.
Now, if the weather will clear off for Springfield next week/end, I'll be happy.

#19,563 ·
WHOOOO HOOOOO! It's done! I got the door up on the wall with my dad's picture from the war under it just as it sat on the counter under the door on the hutch in my grandparents house. I filled it with photos of the house sandwiched between pieces of glass.

Damn I am so glad it's up because I love it, and I am so glad because the project kicked my ever loving butt!

Brian
Really nice Brian.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

#19,564 ·
WHOOOO HOOOOO! It's done! I got the door up on the wall with my dad's picture from the war under it just as it sat on the counter under the door on the hutch in my grandparents house. I filled it with photos of the house sandwiched between pieces of glass.

Damn I am so glad it's up because I love it, and I am so glad because the project kicked my ever loving butt!

Brian
That really is special. You will get a lot of pleasure from the memories posted on that door!

Good job!

John

#19,566 ·
Do you have any idea what is (or not) going on with it Pugsy?

John
Compressor clutch not engaging.
I put the gauges on and pressure low.
Then, with low pressure, the compressor comes on. What?

Since I have a jug of gas at work, I though I would run a vacuum and recharge to see how long a charge would last.
But I couldn't get it in. :drunk:

Low pressure was high and high pressure was low while charging.
Compressor was running.

#19,567 ·
Brian, your wall art turned out real nice. Ancient family pics deserve a place of honor.

Pugsy, it sounds like you may need new hub centric rings, aluminum ones are also available. Wife heavy on brakes? Plastic ones can melt but alum can corrode. I run Mustang wheels on the GTP without them by simply torquing with care so the lugs center the wheel. Scrape em out and proceed.

Today my objective is that pesky hub bearing and I will probably have more silly me stories off that later.

#19,568 ·
Brian, your wall art turned out real nice. Ancient family pics deserve a place of honor.

Pugsy, it sounds like you may need new hub centric rings, aluminum ones are also available. Wife heavy on brakes? Plastic ones can melt but alum can corrode. I run Mustang wheels on the GTP without them by simply torquing with care so the lugs center the wheel. Scrape em out and proceed.

Today my objective is that pesky hub bearing and I will probably have more silly me stories off that later.
Thanks. They are hubcentric one size fits all. The black plastic ring stuck to the hub and looked as though it was a part of the hub, DOH!
Rust and all, ha...

#19,569 ·
I spent most of the day under the house running dryer duct. I really don't like being under the house. Today is a tool run to pick up a few things so I can make a display case for the rifle that mom bought dad for their 50th anniversary. She bought him a Henry Golden Boy rifle. Now I just have to break out the wood working tools again.

#19,570 ·
I spent most of the day under the house running dryer duct. I really don't like being under the house. Today is a tool run to pick up a few things so I can make a display case for the rifle that mom bought dad for their 50th anniversary. She bought him a Henry Golden Boy rifle. Now I just have to break out the wood working tools again.
Every time I think of going under the house I think of one time I was there doing some plumbing and I was beat, you know how your blood rushes out of the arms when you are laying on your back working and they get so weak? Well I was just beat and pissed and all that when it hit me, my buddy Steve who is confined to a wheelchair and has been for over 50 years couldn't even go under that house if he wanted to. Who in the hell am I to *****? Well soon after I thought that and went back to work my cell phone rang and it was Steve. I laid there in the dirt under my house like I was on my couch talking to Steve.

Brian

Reactions: adantessr
#19,571 ·
Every time I think of going under the house I think of one time I was there doing some plumbing and I was beat, you know how your blood rushes out of the arms when you are laying on your back working and they get so weak? Well I was just beat and pissed and all that when it hit me, my buddy Steve who is confined to a wheelchair and has been for over 50 years couldn't even go under that house if he wanted to. Who in the hell am I to *****? Well soon after I thought that and went back to work my cell phone rang and it was Steve. I laid there in the dirt under my house like I was on my couch talking to Steve.

Brian
Great perspective, Brian. Puts a whole new spin on it. I still have to get back under there and deal with some insulation that I took down to run the duct, but not today.
A few years ago I was visiting my grandparents, and I saw one of their neighbors fire up the lawnmower to go get his mail. I didn't see him get on, but I did watch him ride it to the mailbox and back to the front porch. As I sat there thinking what a lazy slouch he was, I saw him drag himself off the mower and up his steps backwards with his arms. Paralyzed from the waist down, confined to a wheelchair. Yeah, I felt like a giant A-hole.
Dave

#19,574 ·
Compressor clutch not engaging.
I put the gauges on and pressure low.
Then, with low pressure, the compressor comes on. What?

Since I have a jug of gas at work, I though I would run a vacuum and recharge to see how long a charge would last.
But I couldn't get it in. :drunk:

Low pressure was high and high pressure was low while charging.
Compressor was running.

Souds like orfice is plugged,,you did change it didn't you,,arrow facing correct direction with flow,,??:confused::confused: